• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Will this PCP&C PSU be enough...?

irriadin

n00b
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
29
I just ordered an entire new system, and the thought of upgrading my power supply never even crossed my mind. I'm not sure how fast PSU's become obsolete, anyway.

Here's my new system:

CPU: i7 2600K SandyBridge
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1866
Videocard: AMD 6950 2GB
1x Optical Drive
4x internal hard drives (possibly 3, as I might retire the Raptor drive)
1x SSD
1x external Hard Drive

And... here's my PSU that I've had since Q6600 days:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

So... should I be worried?
 
Im running the same PSU with a 2600k, 16Gb ram, 580GTX, one optical drive,an SSD ,4 Raptors and two 2Tb storage drives

My CPU is at 4.8 and the 580 is mildly clocked at 850/1050

The PSU never even breaks a sweat
 
Im running the same PSU with a 2600k, 16Gb ram, 580GTX, one optical drive,an SSD ,4 Raptors and two 2Tb storage drives

My CPU is at 4.8 and the 580 is mildly clocked at 850/1050

The PSU never even breaks a sweat

Wow! I guess I was worrying for no reason. This PSU really was worth the investment.
 
It is always a smart idea to invest in a good PSU, because it'll last you multiple builds as long as your builds don't exceed the power capacity of the PSU.
 
And PCP&C makes great power supplys.

Correction: they used to. Now their power supplies are overpriced compared to current power supplies. It's not that they've become bad, but more of everyone else got better and cheaper.
 
Correction: they used to. Now their power supplies are overpriced compared to current power supplies. It's not that they've become bad, but more of everyone else got better and cheaper.

I thought PCP&C PSUs are now farmed out to some Asian manufacturer and just rebrands. Correct me if I am wrong.
 
I thought PCP&C PSUs are now farmed out to some Asian manufacturer and just rebrands. Correct me if I am wrong.

PCP&C units were always "farmed" out to some Asian manufacturers;).. they are called OEMs/ODMs and they're names are Win-Tact, Seasonic and HighPower(Sirtec) ;)
 
Correction: they used to. Now their power supplies are overpriced compared to current power supplies. It's not that they've become bad, but more of everyone else got better and cheaper.

Soooo... They still make good PSUs?
 
Soooo... They still make good PSUs?

Not all of them are good these days. And the only worthwhile PCP&C-branded PSUs available these days are significantly more expensive than other brands of PSUs that are of equal quality.
 
When I had a single 6950 my rig was only showing about 400 watts from the wall with a kill a watt meter. That was maxed out CPU and GPU (running prime95 and furmark at the same time to see what my max power draw was).

In fact just pulled out the Kill A Watt again for the same test and I saw a max of 554 watts with my crossfire setup going. That shows you may even have room to go :). Though power supplies usually degrade significantly over time so that may be too much for an old PS.
 
Last edited:
Well maybe it's just bad luck on my part but considering the sticker price on that particular model I expected more and I certainly would not support that brand in the future. Doesn't matter anymore now that OCZ is in charge..
 
When I had a single 6950 my rig was only showing about 400 watts from the wall with a kill a watt meter. That was maxed out CPU and GPU (running prime95 and furmark at the same time to see what my max power draw was).

In fact just pulled out the Kill A Watt again for the same test and I saw a max of 554 watts with my crossfire setup going. That shows you may even have room to go :). Though power supplies usually degrade significantly over time so that may be too much for an old PS.
Assuming nothing else changed (not that you claimed it did) and the PSU initially had an efficiency of 80%, that means the PSU went from wasting 80W to wasting 234W and dropping to 58% efficiency. That's a almost triple the wasted power, so either the PSU now runs a lot hotter or its fans spin a lot faster.

I thought the only things that usually wore out in PSUs were fans and low-quality capacitors, but the latter should only worsen the voltage regulation or cut the maximum power rating, meaning the computer would be more likely to shut down during heavy loads.
 
Back
Top