Will not play video files, when I install codec pack it locks up

SultanGris

Limp Gawd
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but if not let me know. the problem did not occur untill i installed a new mobo and processor, all other hardware and software is the same.

I have An Asrock dual sata 939 MOBO, with a opteron 165 dual core processor 1.8ghz, an AGP 7800gs vid card, and 2 gig ddr ram.

I used to have intel p4 3.2 ghz, same vid card, same ram and it all worked just fine, even when using the same codec pack im trying to install now.

windows media player will not play AVI files. says it cant download the codec, so when i install the very same codec i used on my previous machine, and try to play it again, it seems to lock up. the mouse will still move, task manager wont come up, nothing i click on does anything, and acording to my g15 keyboard, both cores of my processor are running around 40-60 percent. Ive let it sit there for a while, but it never recovers, and the screen will flash to black for a second, then come back, it will do this a few times. I have to press the reset button to restart. and every other program that i have tried so far seems to work fine, but it will not play avi files which played just fine on my previous machine. so nothing is wrong with the avi files, i have the latest vid drivers which i also had on my previous machine.

any thoughts or ideas? This is driving me nuts!

been doing some googling, here is a link to my mobo page,
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=939Dual-SATA2

I think it may be related to the ULI AGP drivers, as when i install them first like it says, then it locks up installing my nvidia drivers, but if i dont install the uli agp drivers my nvidia drivers install fine, but i do see some screen flickering when its locked up, but the mouse still moves.

and here is a link to another guy with a similar problem with the uli agp drivers, but no solution

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t12893.html

Try using VLC media player yet? Not as elegant a solution as using a single program, but VLC is a free, open-source media player with codecs built in for pretty much every single file I've ever tried to play. Might as well give that a shot.

well, the vlc player played the audio, but still slowed my machine to a crawl and made it unresponsive, other than the audio playing. mouse moved, slowly, and screen flickered to black and back to normal, but no video showed. which makes me think even more its something to do with the uli agp drivers. i did try 3 other codec packs, but considering its an avi and a codec pack that worked on my other machine, im 99.9 percent sure it has nothing to do with the codec pack or the avi file;) I should be 100percent sure, but i leave that .1 percent chance just in case.

Update, Ok, just for giggles I decided to install the uli agp driver AFTER installing my graphics card driver, even though it clearly states in the setup to install uli agp driver first and says if i already installed my graphics driver to reinstall it after installing the uli agp driver, but if i do that it locks up during install. so this time, I did NOT reinstall my graphics driver, and now my avi's play normally. I will update again if i notice any other problems down the road.

Ok, turns out now my game Supreme Commander doesnt work, no graphics. but if i uninstall the ULI agp drivers, it works, and my avi files dont. what a quandry.

Dude i had this thing happen to me too, but i fixed it by reinstalling a different XP cd, I was pretty pissed cause i couldnt do anything and VLC was not working either. Seems to me that when windows was installing one of the files didnt install correctly.
BTW- What ver. of windows are you using??

Windows XP pro. I recently did just format, 3 times actually because of this problem, because i installed a new MOBO and processor, but my wireless card, vid card and all drivers (except for Mobo and dualcore processor drivers) are the same as i was using with no problems on my old system. But i think this problem is somehow related to my specific vid card, and the ULI AGP drivers which ive never even heard of before now, due to a link i posted above about nvidia, I can get my AVI's to play, but then my game has no graphics, blackscreen and i hear the sounds fine, or I can get my game working, but then it locks up when trying to watch an avi. something is definatly borked. not sure if its just simple incompatability with my vid card and new MOBO or what.

Back