Will MSDN/TechNet servers hold up this Thursday, August 6th?

Will MSDN/TechNet servers hold up Thursday

• Yes

Votes: 46 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 61.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
A lot you have already downloaded the RTM but I NEVER install something as critical as an OS from unknown sources. Yes, I know the hash which is practically foolproof if you can trust the hash or the source but I digress.

Microsoft has had trouble historically on download launch days.
Do you think they will this time?

As I recall, they blew up for the Beta. RTM should be madness. I'm just hoping I can at least get access to get a couple serials and node the hashes before it all goes down.

I suspect there'll be access hiccups for sure. So many stick-in-the-muds who've been still clinging to XP and who've taken up TechNet special deals to get 7 because even they are struggling nowadays to justify even to themselves the continuing use of such a clunky and outdated OS. and because so many people in this world today are so self-centred and impatient that they want everything YESTERDAY!

:D

Ain't agonna be worrying me. I only yeaterday signed up for Technet on the 25% off special offer. (Dammit, I missed the 40% off offer coz I landed in hospital :p) And I only this morning sent off the cheque to pay for it, coz I don't run credit cards. And that means I won't get access yet for about a week, coz it takes a bit of time for cheques to arrive and get processed. And that means I'll be downloading after the initial rush is well and truly behind us.

Which is kinda when I'd have been downloading anyway, because I simply couldn't be bothered with trying to get through to overloaded servers. Because it simply isn't really important to have it yesterday.

:D

I voted no, they will not hold up, but I hope I'm wrong. Does anyone know what time Windows 7 RTM will be available? Is it midnight or Thursday morning?

I voted no.

I don't think Microsoft anticipates how much demand there will be. I mean, over 10 MILLION people tested this OS, there's going to be a crap-ton of people wanting it.

Time Q is what I was wanting to know, too. I was kinda hoping on getting the download started at home before work, so just incase they're slow, it'll download all day long.

Holy hell mate! You don't think, do you, that all of those people rushed off and took up a TechNet subscription?

No, I don't. But how many are pre-existing? How many new ones do they have?

This is global, too, not just the USA, so sheesh, you could expect PLENTY of people to be wanting this thing. At least a million on Friday, I'd say.

I really would love to now how many MSDN/TechNet users are out there but its got to be in the millions if you count people like me that get it through work.

I know of at least 10 people I work with that'll be hammering them. I'm staying up late the night before. Gonna be FN madness. If I get a good DL, I'm takin' the day off. I've got 3 PCs at home alone tha'll get it, and 3 more at work. Server will crash and burn, agreed.

Are they even holding up now? I get like 400kb/sec when downloading the win7 RC from the technet link. Im on FIOS.

However if I google windows 2000 SP2 and download it from that link I can pull in over 3 MB/sec

Are they even holding up now? I get like 400kb/sec when downloading the win7 RC from the technet link. Im on FIOS.

However if I google windows 2000 SP2 and download it from that link I can pull in over 3 MB/sec
Yeah, I tried downloading a few ISOs today to test my new subscription, download times were not up to par with what I'm used to from Microsoft.

If only paying members of Technet and MSDN could PM each other the ISO on the [H], I bet the strain on MS's servers would be lessened noticeably. Not significantly, but enough to cause a small blip on the bandwidth meters. :D

I wouldn't be surprised that they started throttling bandwidth to help with Aug. 6th.

Semi off topic but does anyone know if I will get "banned" from technet for installing 7 on my PC's at home and then also on my comp at work? I work in an adjacent state quite a bit away and sometimes access my work PC from home...

Im just being paranoid, but they dont track IP's and stuff to make sure youre not using your keys in other places than your own home right? To make sure you're not giving it out to your friends or whatever...

Are you a Microsoft platform developer? If so then go for MSDN. There are some GOOD deals on ebay on MSDN subscriptions going on these days.
Those are dubious at best. Most are from a company selling their extra subscriptions from a volume pack. If the company decides to change the password or deactivate your account, you'll be SOL.

Those are dubious at best. Most are from a company selling their extra subscriptions from a volume pack. If the company decides to change the password or deactivate your account, you'll be SOL.

^^ 100% correct.

And watch out some of them aren't based in the states. The one I was considering doesn't list their location and after some research I found out that they are based about 20 minutes from my office in London. I offered to fax him a contract basically stating that they would guarantee my access for 3 years from the date of purchase and that they were the legal owners to the license,etc,etc. I even told him to take it to a solicitor and have it reviewed if he wanted.

Never heard back.

I really don't expect to get my hands on Windows 7 until the weekend. Friday maybe.

It is going to be total chaos. I am still going to try but I bet I finally get it a few days later.

I'll be trying probably late afternoon on the 6th, and then through the weekend. I'm like you, OP, where I won't trust it unless I get it right from the source.

They will stay up. They did during the Vista launch on Technet. Granted 7 is more "popular" than Vista, but I think MS will have their servers beefed up.

Semi off topic but does anyone know if I will get "banned" from technet for installing 7 on my PC's at home and then also on my comp at work? I work in an adjacent state quite a bit away and sometimes access my work PC from home...

Im just being paranoid, but they dont track IP's and stuff to make sure youre not using your keys in other places than your own home right? To make sure you're not giving it out to your friends or whatever...

Just as long as it's used for evaluation purposes you're fine.

Granted lots of people exploit that, but Microsoft knows about it. If you're an IT person that can net them future sales, I honestly don't think they care... It's not like they'd sue you or anything.

Who they'd sue is businesses that use it to try and get cheaper licenses for production equipment, etc.

Judging by how server went down on RC release, Microsoft will be ready for a hard hit with the RTM. Be optimistic people, positive before negative...

Judging by how server went down on RC release, Microsoft will be ready for a hard hit with the RTM. Be optimistic people, positive before negative...

Their most popular OS release to-date... The most people that want it to-date...

I'm more pessimistic about it :p

I'd more inclined to say the servers will run like crap than outright go down, which is why I'm hoping to get the DL started before work, so that it can take all day if it needs to.

Their most popular OS release to-date... The most people that want it to-date...

I'm more pessimistic about it :p

I'd more inclined to say the servers will run like crap than outright go down, which is why I'm hoping to get the DL started before work, so that it can take all day if it needs to.
You are missing the point, the RC was a world wide release, millions upon millions of downloaders, There arent that many technet subscribers, as its not public

Quick Technet Subscription question and yes this maybe a bit off topic, but I'm curious.

Reading over the Evaluation Licensing with a Technet Subscription, I can download and install any of the softwares listed with the subscription for "evaluation purposes" on any number of machines? IE I could upgrade my Primary/Secondary Desktops and laptop to Win7 with no issues and possibly a couple copies of Office?

Do you lose this software if your Subscription expires?

Sorry for the questions, I looked over the site, but I didn't fully grasp all of the benefits.

Thanks,

--MF

You are missing the point, the RC was a world wide release, millions upon millions of downloaders, There arent that many technet subscribers, as its not public
Even if you get 1,000,000 in one day? That's considerable traffic, considering they're all pulling a 5GB image (or whatever size it is).

Reading over the Evaluation Licensing with a Technet Subscription, I can download and install any of the softwares listed with the subscription for "evaluation purposes" on any number of machines? IE I could upgrade my Primary/Secondary Desktops and laptop to Win7 with no issues and possibly a couple copies of Office?

Do you lose this software if your Subscription expires?
You get 10 keys. I think 10 Office keys, too...
And they never expire, it's not like DRM... Once activated, it's like a retail copy.

no rush here. When it downloads it downloads...I just hope to get it in time to have the weekend to get it all set up and tweaked to prefrences :)

Honestly, despite the irony, they should implement an official torrent. The technology does work very well in these cases... of course it will never happen, for 7 anyway.

Honestly, despite the irony, they should implement an official torrent. The technology does work very well in these cases... of course it will never happen, for 7 anyway.

I'd concur...

However the little download application kindof functions like its own torrent application IIRC.

Why would you install a personally owned piece of software on a company owned machine?

the download section has been down all week and the RTM isn't even up yet. I hope they improve and get it stable for tomorrow. I mean after all we are paying for this service so I expect it to work.

They could release the file to Technet accounts slowly, a new chunk of accounts every ten minutes starting at midnight. If the bandwidth got saturated, they could delay releasing to the next batch of accounts. So long as all accounts had the download available by the following midnight, they will have met their obligations.

They've done similar things with Hotmail, by rolling new features out to some accounts before others. So who knows, they'll probably mitigate the risks of poor service using something like this. They'll definitely have -some- sort of strategy anyway. I vote no crashes, maybe a bit of a slowdown.

(And yeah I'll be checking at midnight tonight just in case)

Back