WIFI- project, with forced browser

dashpuppy

Supreme [H]ardness
I am doing a new project, my goal is to have a access point with a ssid name that people can see then connect to. When they connect they get a ip address from the server. When they launch their browser, i want it to be forced to see the webpage that the server handed them a ip address from. The server is NOT connected to the internet at all. It is going to be a knowledg board that when people connect to the access point they won't be able to surf but be able to get information from it. It will be a simple php board OR a simple index.html file with information ( like a internal webpage )

I have laid out my idea in attached photo. I have also started playing with Debian, but can go to ubuntu server if i want.
Is any one on here good at setting up debian / ubuntu to be a dhcp server, then create a rule for no mater what you type into the browser from any computer that connects to it, it is re-directed / forced to the webpage stored on the server.

www-project.JPG

google "captive portal", it's what you're looking for.

I wonder if i can setup the Captive portal not to have a username & password ? Instead to just force any computer that join's this wireless network, and forces all internet browsers to the page that is setup.

I wonder if i can setup the Captive portal not to have a username & password ? Instead to just force any computer that join's this wireless network, and forces all internet browsers to the page that is setup.

I don't know any off hand but this can be done. Panera, and just about any other free WiFi shop runs one that allows for anonymous login.

I don't know any off hand but this can be done. Panera, and just about any other free WiFi shop runs one that allows for anonymous login.

I'll do a bit more reading. Im not trying to get the wifi person to log into any thing but be forced to a webpage, weather they put in google.com or hotmail or any request it always forces them to the internal page that is running on the server.

The server will have no access to the internet at all, people won't be able to connect to the wifi and be able to brows the internet.

Should be able to use iptables to forward all traffic to your webserver.

You could add dns server. Make a wild card entry to point all traffic to your web server.

Learned this from man in the middle DNS attack video :p

Back