Wifi booster to leach off wifi at condo's pool?

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
There is free wifi at my condo by the pool. My friend can get internet in his place from it; mine is a bit farther in range...he tried it with his and couldn't get it. Is it possible for me to buy a wifi card that will pick it up? And if so, would it be slower as you the farther you were away?

Where is the condo located? I am sure there is a viable ISP you could get your friend to sign up with so he can have his own wireless. :D

To help us help you, provide more information off of the bat. Are you trying to connect a laptop or desktop to the wifi AP?

Either way, a few things come to mind.

On a laptop, an external wireless adapter normally picks up a signal better than an internal adapter.

If you're not afraid of voiding your warranty, or you're past your warranty period, you can add an external antenna to your internal wifi solution.

Plenty of useful information here: http://www.hackaday.com/category/wireless-hacks/

If you have your own router, this could be helpful: http://www.hackaday.com/2005/02/20/a-better-wifi-antenna/

Using DD-WRT, set up your router as a wireless bridge, pulling in the signal from the pool, and retransmitting it throughout your pad.

Actually I would use my desktop most likely, my roommate would as well. We just signed up for internet, which I don't mind paying for quality. The question is, can I get the same quality for free? Generallly I am a proponent of 'you get what you pay for' but I think it's worth the research.

We both have desktops so space isn't a concern...if I need to get an antenna I will...but here are my concerns -

1. I play fps's a lot...I need to be capable of a consistent low ping...60s and the like...can I expect this from wifi? I don't have much experience with it but I imagine the HOA would have the internet be as cheap as possible, good enough for casual web browsing by the pool but not enough for a hardcore gamer.
2. How can I evaluate this without investing a lot of money? Can I borrow my friends laptop and simply "ping" the connection?

ping the connection on the laptop and see what you get.... on your desktop, chances are, with a PCI card, and a hi-gain antenna(directional toward the pool) you should have no problems, if the laptop is anywhere decent.

How much would all that run me, and would I even get a 50 ping (if the laptop got one)? There are like 4 buildings in the direct line of sight

I think in 3 or 4 years of posting here this was my first doublepost....blast my flawless record is ruined

How much would all that run me, and would I even get a 50 ping (if the laptop got one)? There are like 4 buildings in the direct line of sight

You should be able to get half or less(ping) than what the laptop is getting with a PCI card and hi-gain antenna.

1. I play fps's a lot...I need to be capable of a consistent low ping...60s and the like...can I expect this from wifi? I don't have much experience with it but I imagine the HOA would have the internet be as cheap as possible, good enough for casual web browsing by the pool but not enough for a hardcore gamer.

If you are after consistent low pings, then purchase your own internet. Your pings my be fine using the HOA's free wireless, that is until another freeloading cheapskate comes along and starts listening to his streaming Yahoo music by the pool while downloading a couple torrents of Backstreet Boys concerts.

But if you must try, I've had good luck with the Super Cantenna or if you are really worried about price just build your own.

Back