wierd networking problem on campus, one of my computers works, the other does not

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
i moved back into college yesterday (saturday) and i am having a wierd problem with the net work here. Over the break i built my new computer (in sig) and i decided to keep the old shuttle to use as a spare / for lan parties or whatever. when i first got back on campus i plugged in my new computer and the network worked fine for a few hours, then just stopped working all together.

i have tried releasing/renewing the ip address, and assigning the information manually and it did not work. i have also uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for my onboard nic.

The wierd part is that when i plug my shuttle system in with the cat-5 cable and everything it works fine (i am posting from it right now)

Cliffs

1) got new computer over break
2) network/internet worked for a few hours
3) network/internet stopped working
4) cant get it to work again
5) shuttle system works fine on same cat-5 cable
6) i have tried everything that i can think of to get it working

on a side note, when i have everything set to auto in tcp/ip the ip address that it gets when i release and renew is completly different than any of my room mates IPs.

another note, just tried booting knoppix to see if it was a problem with the windows network settings and i still had no luck.

any ideas? it is really bothering me that i cant play cs:s with my room mate on my new computer :D

This might be a stupid question, since it worked for a while but you never know.... does your uni line have mac address filtering? could it have jsut noticed you after a while (unlikely but you never know)

Also have you tried a different network card in your pc just to see if your card is the problem?

i dont know about the mac filtering. i have not tried another nic since i am at college and dont have all my spare parts with me. i am going to see what i can find around, maybe on of my room mates has one in their computer that i can borrow or something.

update:

i aquired a pci network card from a friend and popped it in and the network works fine. i am going to run it for now and see if it continues to work. i am wondering if the network is automatically quarantining my machine for some reason.

for now i will stick with the pci nic thanks for the idea

Back