Widescreen LCD

ingenious28

Limp Gawd
Im in the market for a widescreen LCD monitor, 20, maybe 21 inch
Something with minimal ghosting in games and really nice dvd quality.
Any suggestions?

Edit: apparently they're pretty non-existant, i could only find the apple cinematic 20 inch display, the only other widescreen display are 23 inchers.

ing...
Check out the Samsung 24". I think it is widescreen but it
comes with a widescreen price. God luck.

klaatu51

Once you go to say, 21.3" at 1600x1200 you have entered into WIDESCREEN Country.
I'm typing this on the Viewsonic VP211B. It's a 21.3 " 1600x1200 rez. 25ms Digital/Analog LCD monitor.
Ghosting? Don't notice it bad enough to notice it even when I'm in fast action.
It's just an awesome Black Beauty.
Cost me 14 big ones, this past November 03 but wes worth it.
I luv it for gaming, gaming, gaming.
It has thin black bezel, it pivots, it rotates.
it moves up/down with touch of your hand, (you need no knobs to loosen or tighten to make it go up or down).
I notice this WIDESCREEN "look" because I had 1280x1024 Dell 1900FP 19" LCD and it was the typical, kinda "square" shape.
The Dell 2001FP is 20" 1600x1200 but is still in "box look" shape (like the 19" Dell I just mentioned).
You need a minimum of 21.3" size @1600x1200 in order to enter into "the beginning" of WIDESCREEN COUNTRY.
This 21,3" is a wide-ish rectangle. Real nice.
check it here www.monitoroutlet.com
I will keep it till the 16ms 23" panels hit the market.
Till then---- me and my 21.3" Viewsonic Black Beauty are "two happy campers". :D

From what ive seen so far its going to be out of my leauge to get a truely "widescreen" lcd, so these 21.3 inchers are looking like to solution for me.
the new samsung 213t is looking very sweet, i think im going to check it out, i hear compusa sells it, ill probably go down there and give it a looksee, plus its cheaper than that viewsonic model.

Apple makes a couple of widescreen displais which very nice on the eys.

Ingenious, try BestBuy; ---14 day no hassle 100% refund policy. No excuse, no reason needed; just bring it back for 100% refund.

Compusa will hit you for 10-15% restocking fee on a monitor that you return unless its defective.

Originally posted by Rim
Once you go to say, 21.3" at 1600x1200 you have entered into WIDESCREEN Country.
Er... 1600/1200 = aspect ratio of 1.3333 and is no different than the 2001FP. It is a bit wider than the typical 17-19" LCD which have an AR of 1.25. Widescreen TVs have an AR 1.78, and widescreen LCDs are 1.6 or higher.

S.Lee.... I'm sure your math is right....but there's a point where you leave' "boxy" Country and step into "Widescreen" country. Like everything else, there's a point where one ceases, the other begins.
Now, I've had the 17" 1280x1024 and 19" 1280x1024 LCD's, and now have 21.3" 1600x1200. And IMHO, the 20" 1600x1200 Dell is 'almost' across the line, but still "looks" kinda boxy. But a 21.3" 1600x1200 LCD HAS crossed that line. That EXTRA 1.3" of screen-width made the diff.
Debatable? Yes. It's a subjective judgement, a subjective call (and I respect your opinion). :D

Ingenious, I forgot to tell you I've heard (not confirmed) that the 21.3" Samsung and the 21.3" Viewsonic are using same panel. The diff between the two (a prof artist told me) is the backlights are just a tad more uniform in Views, than in Sammy. And he thought the text was just a bit sharper, too. But he then said, no way is this anything but an "opinion" because those two are so close so fine, "you can't go wrong with either one"
Good luck. :D

Has anyone had any experience or read a review on the NEC LCD2180UX. Apparently it has a 20ms response time as opposed to the Samsung.

Originally posted by Rim
S.Lee.... I'm sure your math is right....but there's a point where you leave' "boxy" Country and step into "Widescreen" country. Like everything else, there's a point where one ceases, the other begins.

A wide screen (i.e. 16:9 ratio) would be 1600x1024, or at 20"+ screen size, 1920x1200.

I do not know what this "boxy" and "widescreen" country you are talking about, but 1600x1200 is most certainly not a wide screen format. Just because a screen is bigger or has more pixels doesn't make it a "widescreen" -- for that u need to change the aspect ratio of the display itself -- which has nothing to do w/ the screen size.

for instance, THIS is a wide-screen TV:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...s_XBR(36"to40")&ProductSKU=KV34XBRKIT&Dept=tv

but this BIGGER TV, is NOT:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...e=tv_36"to40"TVs&ProductSKU=KV36HS510&Dept=tv

just some clarification. ^_^

As to the original post, yea most likely u'd be looking at a 23" screen, or a 20" -- personally a 20" is quite large already, since that value is from screen edge to edge, and unlike screen size measurement for CRT monitors.

cheers,

Yass

i found the 24" widescreen sammy at Sams CLub for ~1400 and this was 6 months ago. Unfortunately I didnt have the money to buy, but I did get a rich dentist friend of mine to get it. 240T or something was the model w/ svid dvi and vga i think. I hooked it up and ghosting was a little worse than on my 191t, but i would still use that if i had the chance.
drew

The newer revs of the Apple 23inch HD cinema display are awesome with very little ghosting.

one more question i had aside form wanted to know about that NEC LCD, most reviews say that ghosting becomes more promenent when you run outside the native resolution. how badly does ghosting increase? i know i cannot run every game at 16x12

yes unfortunately all of those are out of my price range
its definately going to be a 21.3 inch or below

Back