Wide angle lens.. suggestions

Lamont

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
4,420
I am looking for a wide angle lens, and I am limited to Dell because I have an account and a gift-card. I was looking at the Canon EF 20 mm f/2.8 USM Ultra-Wide, but I need to see some shots done with it.

::Canon Lens @ Dell::
 
price range?

The kit lens is actually pretty good if you're looking for a cheap wide...

If you have the money, buy a 10-22 EF-S. ;)
 
10-22? I was looking at that one too, and was just gonna get it last week. But haven't found any samples shot with it.
 
I think 1.6x crop is here to stay. So if you really want to go wide, 20mm may not be enough. (See http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/228311 -- the 10-22 used at 22mm, 17mm, and 10mm)


If you decide to go full 35mm frame though (ie, film or 1DsMarkII), the 10-22 isn't compatible (although at full frame, a 20mm lens becomes very wide).


Here is a comparison to see how wide is wide on 1.6x crop -- the 10-22 is on there, but the 20 prime isn't, though the 18-55 is on there -- http://www.canon-20d.com/wide-angle-lens-compare.php


Cheers.
 
I got the lens, it will be here in a few days. Thanks guys.

Yeah, the next camera I am going to get will be the 1D after I get my photo-skills back. Then sell my D-Rebel stuff.
 
Yeah!! my lens came today.. for some reason I had it in my head that I ordered the 10-22 EF-S. But when I got the package today, I opened it up and there was a lens hood. And they only come with the lens with the red ring. I guess I ordered the 17-40 EF. Really cool lens. I'm going to go out this weekend and play with it.
 
Lamont said:
Yeah!! my lens came today.. for some reason I had it in my head that I ordered the 10-22 EF-S. But when I got the package today, I opened it up and there was a lens hood. And they only come with the lens with the red ring. I guess I ordered the 17-40 EF. Really cool lens. I'm going to go out this weekend and play with it.

Probably a better lens if you intend on selling your rebel for a 1D evnetually really.
 
If you buy that lens from Dell you deserve a kick in the nuts. Its $100 more expensive than BHphoto, and dell sucks balls, so why give them your money? (Unless you like have credits or something)
 
My job gives the employee's a discount on top of whatever I found on the net, plus Dells instant discount, also I got a gift card from my folks, and so it was about $595 before taxes. But I only paid $330 out of pocket.

You can keep your kick in the nuts, and I'll raise you a frying pan to the skull for questioning my intelligence.
 
Back
Top