Why I Don't Use UPS

Toonage

[H]ard|Gawd

This is how I received a package recently from the boys in Brown. Fortunately it was a metal water reservoir and not particularly fragile. This was not the sender's fault, as it had sufficient packing inside to not let this major hit get to it. Fully 75% of packages I receive through UPS have external damage, some severe, and I've had full systems rendered unusable by their handling practices. Yes, UPS Ground is cost effective, but for my peace of mind items I send will always go by another carrier.

If I saw a package come like that, I would most likely deny it. Or complain to UPS and send them pictures while the carrier was there. And yes I do have a camera close by that I could use....

C'mon, why'd ya have to do that?! I'm about o ship something via UPS today, and I am also recieveing as well! Seriously, though, I would be pissed off if that happened to me. The packages I've recieved from UPS have all been nice and bump-free, so, as of this far I have no bad experience with UPS or FedEx...but I prefer FedEx as they usually ship faster.

I've had many packages literally ruined by UPS. Two instances I can clearly remember were 1) my motorcycle jacket came in a box that was too big for it. The box looked crushed just like the OP but luckily it was a jacket and nothing was ruined. 2) Bought some z-680's and i saw pictures of them before the seller shipped it and it was in perfect condition. When I received the package the box was slightly crushed on one side and i figure that it was nothing. Boy was I wrong. I opend the box and it was packed really neat and when I took everything out to inspect it low and behold: the subwoofer grill is pushed in, and the side of the box was chipped. Thanks UPS I'll never ship w/ you, ever.

Sounds like you have bad package throwers, bad loaders, a bad driver, or all of the above :eek:

How bad was the grill on those z-680's pushed in, because mine that I bought from office max last year looked pushed in, but I assumed it was the design.

FlatLine84 said:
How bad was the grill on those z-680's pushed in, because mine that I bought from office max last year looked pushed in, but I assumed it was the design.
Well if it looks cool I wouldnt worry about it! Just post pics of it, tell people its a special edition "embossed grill" version in the FS/FT forum, and sell it for much extra! :p Ha ha ha, j/k

lesman said:
Well if it looks cool I wouldnt worry about it! Just post pics of it, tell people its a special edition "embossed grill" version in the FS/FT forum, and sell it for much extra! :p Ha ha ha, j/k

The one's I got are supposed to be pushed in like that, it's not like it got smashed or anything, it definately was done by a machine.

I've received a lot of items from ups and never had any problems. Most of my computer parts come from fedex just because thats what newegg uses.

I work for a retail outlet, and we get some of our stuff via UPS, and I have to totally agree with you. Most of the stuff we receive has been beaten to hell.

2 years ago. I ordered a 22 inch NEC 1375X from Dell. They shipped via UPS. I was looking at the tracking number online the day it was to be delivered. No change in status for like 2 days. I called their 800 number and they said they show it delivered - No one was home while I was at work so I asked who signed for it. They said it was left on the front door. My front door is visible from the street and the package from Dell had to be signed for, it was an $900 monitor at the time.

I rushed home and NOTHING was on my front door. I called Dell to tell them what happened and reported it to UPS. Dell shipped me out a new one by FEDEX the next day. The UPS claims guys call me and they stated that the driver told them that I had left a note on the door telling him I authorized the package to be left---which was a definite lie. I'll never use them again.

o nooooooo.

a just bought a pc case from a friend here. and that case has one of those glass front door. and its being shipped by ups.

hope nothing goes wrong. crap. and it cost like $50 to ship it.

Personally, I think its the way those UPS guys/gals hot rod those trucks around that causes most of the damage. No joke, they fly by my place of business and house like they are practicing for a slalom course.

By the way, I rarely use them myself;)

I live in California, and I ordered a various computer part from Wal-Mart.com, and it came from NEW YORK and it arrived unscathed. Of course, it was FedEx who delivered it. Not a scratch! Now THATS how it's supposed to be.

makshim said:
FedEx- Cheaper, Faster, Less shit destroyed.
QFT :p

UPS always is late to deliver my crap. FEDEX is ALWAYS early! I ordered someting from newegg that shipped on fri, via supersaver, it was delivered MONDAY. thats the same as overnight! if it were UPS, it would be at LEAST wednesday, probably thrusday.

as a former UPS loader i guess i should chime in.. while some of the damages that occur are in fact employee damaged, part of it is the fact of the rate at which they load.. when i worked loading, i was loading about 500-600 boxes an hour, and not just the nice 5lb boxes.. it ranged from 5lb to 70lb boxes.

Now the majority of the damages are not caused by employees. since the volume of boxes ups handles every day is so high, the belts back up and packages often become smashed by other boxes, or crushed by divertors trying to send the package into a truck. at my location, the average nightly volume was around 180k (varied between 150k and 220k)) boxes.. now all of these must be unloaded then loaded within about 3 1/2 hours..

so as much as we all want to blame an individual when something goes wrong with a package, you have to take into consideration the other factors that come into play..

and fedex doesn't do nearly the amount of volume ups does

dracul, thats why fedex is so much better. they dont machine gun boxes into the truck like its some sort of game.

/knows ex-ups employees, heard stories about box kicking contests from some of the shadier ones.

What Dracul is say is that because of the volume, UPS is bound to have more problems with damaged packages. If Fed Ex did the same volume as UPS, people would probably be complaining about them too.

I have had stuff damaged by USPS, UPS and Fed Ex. I'll continue to use all 3 when I have the need.

FlatLine84 said:

The lower left portion was totally pushed in touching the rim of the woofer material. I just popped it back out (hard to do) with a paper clip which took forever, and although it did take it off from the woofer it looks all out of shape. I can live with it though. The woofer sits below my desk anyways away from my eyes.

havent had one problem with them except for alot of late shipping.

makshim said:
FedEx- Cheaper, Faster, Less shit destroyed.

yup, fed ex and USPS priority is the way to go

Back