Why doesn't Microsoft sell the OEM version in stores?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Instead of forcing people to buy their overpriced "retail editions" of their OS why not also offer OEM versions?

Probably to save employees the headache of people asking what the difference is between the two. :D

Most stores don't sell component parts (save for a printer or network cable) and then can you see them trying to force people to buy a cable just to get the OEM version? That won't fly too well with most consumers (especially since most of them regarding computers are completely clueless).

Retail = very simple. Pick up the box, bring it to the checkout. Stacks well on a shelf or endcap. Can you imagine brown padded envelopes? People would wonder if it was legitimate or something the employee made themself. :D

OEM is made and designed for OEM system builders, not even IT pros
=
OEM is made to used ONCE for one motherboard/system = system dies, so does your License

Retail is designed for resale and can be moved to a new board/system as needed

Having a 'Disk/COA' does not give you a install right or ownership, just proof of a license!

OEM is made and designed for OEM system builders, not even IT pros
=
OEM is made to used ONCE for one motherboard/system = system dies, so does your License

Retail is designed for resale and can be moved to a new board/system as needed

Having a 'Disk/COA' does not give you a install right or ownership, just proof of a license!

don't forget to add that the system builder provides the OS support. OEM edition comes with no tech support from Microsoft.

FWIW, CompUSA sells (or use to sell) OEM versions of Windows. Picked up Vista that way.

Actually, depends on the retail store.

If you have a Best Buy, they will sell the full retail boxed version, as they are not very "build your own system" friendly type of store. They do not carry the parts, and they want you to use them as tech support.
A Micro Center, on the other hand, carries most every computer part, and also has OEM versions of OS available.

Instead of forcing people to buy their overpriced "retail editions" of their OS why not also offer OEM versions?

Are you joking? Why does MS "force" you to give them more money? Uh, because they want to make more money. Duh.

Retail Windows costs more because you're buying better packaging and more tech support. But, if you don't want to pay for that, then buy the OEM version. It's easy to find, but officially you need to buy a hardware component with it.

BTW, there is some incorrect info in this thread (Temporalwar, relax, I won't name you). If you buy a brand-name computer, then the version of Windows it comes with probably dies with that computer (though, not necessarily). But, if you buy OEM Windows itself, it's good forever and ever through unlimited computers (serially). You're also paying twice as much for your OEM Windows as the name-brand computer company paid for the Windows version that it installed on their computer.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, which would be the likes of Dell, HP, and other companies you would buy a computer from, or Original Equipment from Manufacturer, which would include the OS installed upon said computer.

Microsoft sells direct OEM licenses to manufacturers who then include the OEM OS on the computers they sell to consumers. A consumer can't buy these at all.

What you see in stores like Newegg, CompUSA, and others are system builder OEM licenses. They are intended for local computer shops that build their own PCs and sell them to locals. You are apparently mistaking this for a consumer product; it is not. A consumer is not supposed to buy these, and if you buy one as a consumer, as far as Microsoft is concerned you do not exist and will not get any tech support, including being able to move the license to another PC.

Well, why not at least offer a one-time use version people can buy? As it is it's cheaper to get 2 OEMs than one retail. It's ridiculous. I understand with retail you can install it as many times as you want but it is still only one at a time so unless you plan on changing computers often you save money with OEM.

Well, why not at least offer a one-time use version people can buy? As it is it's cheaper to get 2 OEMs than one retail. It's ridiculous. I understand with retail you can install it as many times as you want but it is still only one at a time so unless you plan on changing computers often you save money with OEM.

people CAN buy it. you dont have to be in the business of selling computers to people. but as far as MS is concerned, you are the vendor of your own PC. so your support comes from yourself.

The computer storew I worked at years ago required you to buy a processor, motherboard, or hard drive in order to be able to buy an OEM copy of Windows.

As for the OEM license dying with the original system you installed it on... even the COA stickers that come with OEM boxes. it simply doesn't work that way.. despite what the EULA says.

If the key won't activate over the web, then you just call the automated number. As long as you are only using that license on a single computer, MS couldn't care less if you move it to a different machine.

I probably wouldn't recommend this for a business.. but businesses usually either have volume licensing or they only change the OS when it comes with a new computer.

people CAN buy it. you dont have to be in the business of selling computers to people. but as far as MS is concerned, you are the vendor of your own PC. so your support comes from yourself.

I know online you can, I was talking about places like Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc.

I understand with OEM you don't get support from Microsoft, but as long as you are half-decent with computers why would you need their support?

I'd hope that if you're smart enough to be able to install an OS you can do most everything yourself.

I know online you can, I was talking about places like Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc.

I understand with OEM you don't get support from Microsoft, but as long as you are half-decent with computers why would you need their support?

I'd hope that if you're smart enough to be able to install an OS you can do most everything yourself.

the thing is, walmat, best buy and etc, dont sell OSless systems. the only people who need an OEM version are people who build their own computers, like i said, places that sell motherboards sell it.

Back