Why does Vista look fuzzier than XP???

Lyquist

2[H]4U
I have my current machine dual-booting with XP and Vista. However, the text on my monitors is fuzzier in Vista than it is XP. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance.

Obviously its a setting (or a driver).

Check ClearType settings, stuff like that. There is really just so many possibilities, but ClearType was the first thing that came to mind.

Otherwise, check Windows Update (or the maker's website) for updates to your video driver.

Obviously its a setting (or a driver).

Check ClearType settings, stuff like that. There is really just so many possibilities, but ClearType was the first thing that came to mind.

Otherwise, check Windows Update (or the maker's website) for updates to your video driver.

This may be a dumb question, but where are the cleartype settings in Vista?? I did a search and came up empty. Thanks in advance. I have the most recent Vista driver for my video card currently and I don't see clear type settings within that driver either.

This may be a dumb question, but where are the cleartype settings in Vista?? I did a search and came up empty. Thanks in advance. I have the most recent Vista driver for my video card currently and I don't see clear type settings within that driver either.

The vista help system is very nice (especially compared to previous versions of windows!)

click the desktop, press F1, type cleartype. Result 1 is what you're looking for and then just follow the links to enable/disable cleartype.

Also, are you using VGA or DVI to connect your monitor to your PC?

Make text easier to read using ClearType

ClearType font technology makes the text on your screen almost as sharp and clear as text that is printed on paper. It is on by default in this version of Windows.

To get the full benefit of ClearType, you'll need a high-quality, flat-panel monitor, such as LCD or plasma. Even on a CRT monitor, you might get some improvement in readability with ClearType.

To tune ClearType
You can use the online tuner to further adjust the legibility of on-screen items.

Go to the Microsoft typography website, and then follow the instructions for tuning ClearType.

To turn on ClearType
Click to open Appearance Settings.

Click Effects.

In the Effects dialog box, select Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts.

Select ClearType in the list, and then click OK.

Note
Whether you select Standard or ClearType from the list, you must have a video card and monitor that support a color setting of at least 256 colors. You'll get the best results with High color (24-bit) or Highest color (32-bit) support. You can change color quality in Display Settings in Control Panel.

Click to open Display Settings.

See also
Troubleshoot font problems
Change screen resolution
Was this information helpful?

Read the privacy statement online

I am using VGA....this montior doesn't have DVI unfortunately or I would use that method. The text just looks crisper in XP than in Vista.

I'd re-run the ClearType wizard, or turn ClearType off. It isn't an improvement for everyone or all displays.

I have my current machine dual-booting with XP and Vista. However, the text on my monitors is fuzzier in Vista than it is XP. How can I fix this? Thanks in advance.

ClearType can look fuzzy on some monitors, true.

Can you tell us what your settings are?

I noticed the same thing when I was dual booting with some of the beta's, but not so much with Home Premium. I would agree with what the others have said and try turning ClearType off and see if that makes a difference.

I have tried turning clear type on and off, and it looks better with it on, but the text is still crisper in XP with the same monitor setup. The good news is that my secondary monitor has DVI, so I plugged it up that way and now the secondary monitor looks better. I really need to get a video card with two DVI ports on it and a DVI primary monitor next.

Are you running the native resolution/refresh rate on the LCD in both?

Sucks that your stuck with VGA.

I am running the native resolution on both monitors...1280x1024, so no problems there. This issue kind of makes me want to stay in XP most of the time. I'm glad I decided to dual-boot instead of going whole hog with Vista.

The biggest deal-breaker I'm having right now is the fact that I can't record with my soundcards in Vista. M-audio hasn't released Vista drivers and I even tried to get the XP drivers to work, but they didn't. Oh well. It is just disappointing. I really wanted to try out Vista as far as audio recording goes. I guess I'll just boot into XP for that.

I just installed Vista Ultimate 64Bit and I think the text are sharper, crispier, and nicer.

Back