Why does unplugging the router fix my lag?

WiL11o6

Limp Gawd
I have Comcast cable which normally runs at 35mbps download and 6mbps upload. For the past entire week, my upload has been lagging, causing my games to have lag spikes. I would have a ping of 50ms then suddenly it would jump to 700-1000 for a couple seconds and drop back down, occurring every 10 seconds or so.

I was lazy to call Comcast but I remember every single time I call because my cable/DSL lagged from the past 10 years of having DSL/cable, the first thing they would ask me to do is to unplug the router for a couple minutes and plug it back in. I've done this in the past but it never worked, I thought it was kind of stupid because why would that fix the lag. So, because I was lazy to call them, I decided to try and unplug the DC cable from the rear of my modem and router for a minute and plugged it back in. VIOLA! My lag is gone and it's back up to full upload speed and no more lag spikes in game!

My question to you tech guy is I am wondering why does something so simple as unplugging and plugging back in help? I always turn off my router at night when not in use, why isn't that the same as unplugging the cable?

It could be a plethora of things really, depending on the brand of devices I've seen logs that slowly fill and cause the device to cripple itself.

What brand router and model?

Routers and modems are just like computers.. their memory resources get utilized and in a state of needing a good "flushing" once in a while..

I have my wireless router set to perform a scripted reboot once every 7 days

I'm sure someone will chime along and give a better, technical answer..

I have a Netgear WNDR3700 and a Motorola 6121. So when it's plugged in, even if the power strip is turned off, the logs still pile up until it's unplugged? I always thought having it off would be the same as unplugging it since there's no electricity going to it.

Agree with illogitech, it could be so many things it would surprise you. Consumer routers are, let me just say, SHIT. Even the best ones out there have their faults. Have you thought about flashing the router to something a bit more extensive like DD-WRT? Solved a ton of my Linksys problems where I would constantly lose connection and or it would lock up if I downloaded too fast for a good amount of time.

I'd try that first. Seems like it's definitely a Nettgear issue though, reason for it? Too many variables to consider. Just know they aren't built or designed to be all that great. Play your X-Box? Sure. Surf the Internet? Gotcha. Offer wireless connectivity? You bet. Start stressing them though and you find out quickly the hardware is pathetic, especially if you're a networking nerd. Not to mention the software that comes with them is often times just crappy.

I find lot of consumer routers do get bogged down over time. I think it may be different things like memory leak, logs being full (possibly lot of log stuff kept in memory) etc... I never have go reboot my pfsense box, unless there's an extended power outage, then I shut it down among a few other things in order to conserve on battery power. I've seen 100+ day uptime on mine. Will see higher once I add more battery capacity.

I run a Cisco 1921 Integrated Services Router..

Uptime has been over 3 months.... not one single bog down.

It is enterprise. When I used to use consumer grade I had the same sort of issues. Then I went to a prosumer router, i.e. Asus RT-N66U (based on features and price, its probably prosumer grade atleast) and I never had slow down issues. Then I went to Cisco enterprise and have had ZERO issues period.

Its all about getting what you paid for honestly. The more something cost, typically speaking, the better the investment on the part of the manufacturer in hardware quality.

I would suggest sourcing a new or even used higher end router than what you have. I used to have a WNDR3700 by netgear. Sold it. Gave me so many little dinky problems.

i.e. My Cisco 1921 with Zone Firewall gives me less problems than my ASA 5505 did and the 5505 never game me problems except for a time or two.

Also if you are using comcast make sure you are not using a cheapshit cheapo $30.00 modem.

And this.....

I find lot of consumer routers do get bogged down over time. I think it may be different things like memory leak, logs being full (possibly lot of log stuff kept in memory) etc... I never have go reboot my pfsense box, unless there's an extended power outage, then I shut it down among a few other things in order to conserve on battery power. I've seen 100+ day uptime on mine. Will see higher once I add more battery capacity.

If you are going to use opensource firewalling routing software i.e. PFsense make sure you invest in some ECC ram. I do not know what RedSq is running but I recommend ECC due to its consistent state and self-flushing properties so you never get issues due to RAM.

If you are going to use opensource firewalling routing software i.e. PFsense make sure you invest in some ECC ram. I do not know what RedSq is running but I recommend ECC due to its consistent state and self-flushing properties so you never get issues due to RAM.

Good to know. Actually I'm not sure if what I'm using is ECC but it might be. My firewall is actually a Dell 1650 server which was used for a Netscreen appliance. (actually has the Netscreen badge on it) so it might in fact be ECC.

I have pfSense running in a VM on a server using plain ol DDR3 Ram. Non ECC. It goes for months at a time without a hiccup. Only reason it ever goes down is for upgrades, or LanParties.

@ WiL11o6
Can you have a look which revision you have on your WNDR3700?
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700
It can without a doubt handle your connection just fine.... (at least he Atheros based ones)

While pfsense is really good there's no point for you going in that direction unless you need very advanced networking features.

@ all
Not all consumers routers are per definition crap, many are but have a few that have just as good hardware or even better than what routerstation(s) or Mikrotik offers.
You just need to know where to look :)
I have a few even low-end routers that do 3 months+ just fine with VPN etc.

//Danne

Back