Why does my video keep reverting to 800x600 after 3D mode and reboots?

Nazo

2[H]4U
After I exit every game (or other full screen 3D application, such as rthdribl) Windows reverts to 800x600. This started yesterday after I dragged out my old copy of Freelancer and started playing it just because I kind of felt like it. I thought it was just Freelancer doing it since I hadn't tried any other 3D games, but, since then I've played a lot of other games and tested various other programs and after each one it reverts me to 800x600. Also, each time I reboot, it's 800x600 at the login screen and I have to correct my resolution after logging in. Having to keep fixing my resolution so often is really starting to get on my nerves. I've set up a batch file where I can manually run, say 1440x1080x32 with START+R relatively quickly, but, it's still a pain in the rear to have to keep fixing it every single time.

The weird thing is, after the game or whatever exits, it usually starts out at 1440x1080x32 as usual, then switches to 800x600x32 after a very short delay. It's as if some external program were monitoring things and switching for some reason. I can't find any suspicious program running though.

Uhm, could anyone take a wild guess even?

What about ATITool? Is it even CAPABLE of doing this? That's all I can think of that has anything to do with the video card really.

I check my run lists pretty often. Too many sneaky programs get in there then run all the time using up resources for some stupid crap like that "windows media player compatibility maintainer" or whatever ms called it. If there is anything running on startup, it's something that's done a good job of sneaking past me such as by running as a service or by being a trojan and piggypacking with some other program (and I run av scans as well as malware checks, so I'd probably catch something bad enough to do that.)

Well, I keep legitimate apps down to a minimum too. There's nothing extra that's at all obvious to me at least in there. Just yesterday I removed several things like that ms wmplayer 10 thing that was wasting resources (geez, I don't even RUN wmplayer) as well as some stupid ms debug manager thing that I could just swear I don't recall having been asked to install. I'm down to a pretty bare minimum with things like ATITool being about the only exceptions.

I'm not saying it can't be a program, but, if it is, it's not an obvious one, and it's likely one I've had installed a good while that just all of a sudden changed if it were a program because I haven't changed too much lately.

Anyone have any other guesses? Actually, I'm not saying it's impossible that some seemingly legit program could be causing this, just that I'm not aware of any of the programs I have running on startup/etc having the ability to do so. BTW, I tried closing down ATITool and the problem still occured, so I guess that eliminates it as a possible cause.

Nazo said:
Just yesterday I removed several things like that ms wmplayer 10 thing that was wasting resources (geez, I don't even RUN wmplayer) as well as some stupid ms debug manager thing that I could just swear I don't recall having been asked to install.

did the issues coincide with the uninstall?

and how did you "uninstall" WMP 10?
I only know of one way to do that
though obviously how they are doing it and some convoluted tweak that does the same thing...

Im lucky in that Im still W2K and its not "forced" on me
and since I have that ap I ripped out the embedded WMP 7 as well as IE

I didn't uninstall WMP 10. I removed that "compatibility" thing from the startup because it was wasting resources for no reason. And the issue did not coincide with this, I removed it wondering if it was related somehow in some way to the issue after the problem started. WMP 10 wasn't really forced on me, but, I mainly updated to get the newer WMV codecs. I never really use it, but, instead use Media Player Classic exclusively for watching videos. No need to remove WMP when I just don't use it period and it's only wasting a tiny bit of space (I need gigs, not a couple of megabytes or so.) I've seen a tool that can remove IE and I think a few other things like WMP from XP (though removing IE is a very bad idea since moronic programmers designed things to assume it will be there and a few programs will crash or otherwise freak out.) Only thing I want to remove IE, but, it's not worth dealing with the issues that can crop up, so I haven't done anything like that.

The issue, I think, did coincide with the installation of Freelancer, though that's not saying much (I don't shut down very often these days since my current hardware runs pretty cool so I'm not hurting the lifetime TOO badly leaving my system on all the time.) To be quite honest, I could have done a number of things before the issue started showing up, just Freelancer is the last thing I know of having done, and the first that began showing the issue.

Nazo said:
(though removing IE is a very bad idea since moronic programmers designed things to assume it will be there and a few programs will crash or otherwise freak out.)

Ive been running without IE for some 6 or 7 months now, no issues
mosin has been doing it for alot longer
programs default to firefox for help dialogs ect, and I run alot of programs :p

as far as your problem, seems like you have few clues to a cause and effect relationship and without that its damn hard to determine

The problem with no IE lies in the fact that some things integrate direct calls to parts of it. It's stupid, but, a few do it anyway. Usually the culprit is the little built in browser windows in a few applications. Anyway, the problems aren't common, but, just not something I wanted to deal with since leaving IE in isn't too inconvenient for me.

Well, back on topic, I dig through all the programs and just can't tell what could be getting me. Just in case someone happens along who recognizes something suspicious, here's a HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:54:27 PM, on 2/16/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\Program Files\EPOX\USDM\USDM.EXE
C:\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Daemon-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\PATH\WINDOWS\deeenes.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\ATITool\ATITool.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nfsclnt.exe
D:\SFU\Mapper\mapsvc.exe
c:\hijackthis\hijackthis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] REM CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBDrvDet] C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPoXUSDM] "C:\Program Files\EPOX\USDM\USDM.EXE" "5000"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LtcyCfgApply] "C:\LatencyConfig\LtcyCfg.exe" /a
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Daemon-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DeeEnEs] C:\PATH\WINDOWS\deeenes.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ATITool.lnk = C:\Program Files\ATITool\ATITool.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\inetrepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\inetrepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\inetrepl.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{FECCEF80-83BB-4C83-A644-235C21783EC0}: NameServer = 192.168.1.254,127.0.0.1
O23 - Service: Apache2 - Unknown owner - C:\Apache\bin\Apache.exe" -k runservice (file missing)
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Cygwin mountd (mountd) - Unknown owner - C:\Cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Cygwin nfsd (nfsd) - Unknown owner - C:\Cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe
O23 - Service: O&O Defrag - O&O Software GmbH - C:\WINDOWS\system32\oodag.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Data Service (SandraDataSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1\RpcDataSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Sandra Service (SandraTheSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2005.SR1\RpcSandraSrv.exe
O23 - Service: VMware Authorization Service (VMAuthdService) - VMware, Inc. - C:\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-authd.exe
O23 - Service: VMware DHCP Service (VMnetDHCP) - VMware, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnetdhcp.exe
O23 - Service: VMware NAT Service - VMware, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\vmnat.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server (winvnc) - Unknown owner - C:\TightVNC\WinVNC.exe" -service (file missing)

Well, I just reinstalled the 6.2 drivers (tried official Catalyst instead of Omega, just in case.) Now I´m even more screwed. Every single time I change 3D modes, such as their stupid bloated CCC and its preview in the 3D settings, I now get the privelage of being dumped at 640x480, which is even more screwed up than 800x600.
EDIT: Looks like the problem doesnt occur between driver installations, when it's using the crappy built-in windows driver.

Back