Why does firefox suck so bad at saving images?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I go to a webpage that has images. I right click on the image, click “save image as”, select a destination, click save.

At that point firefox locks up and is completely unresponsive until the stupid little download manager pops up ~3-5 seconds later and you get the little message on the bottom right that says something like “all files have finished downloading”.

With Internet Explorer, I can literally save pictures as fast as I can click and don’t have to deal with any of this BS. I also don’t particularly need the download manager thing coming up every time I save a ~50K jpeg image :rolleyes:

I pretty much use firefox for everything at this point, but it just sucks so bad at this one stupid task…

Does anyone know any way to make saving images with firefox a little bit less obnoxious?

I use Firefox on all 9 of my machines and have never had that problem, maybe an extension you installed causing it? Tried reinstalling Firefox?

I had the same problem when i first started using FF back in the day. Just go to tools > options > and clear all ... that should do the trick. Using FF to surf for pr0n is > than IE, but i use both browser equally.

Firefox isn't at fault. You are.

Open the download manager. Clear the file listing. Problem solved.

Or just set it to not open the download manager for every download.

i dropped FF about 2 months back when its constant crap PDF / Flash (almost %CPU usage) suppot and memory leaks (1.0.7 and RC) and went to Opera.

i havent looked back Since - for me going to Opera from FF was like when i went to FF from IE - and u sed FF almost 2 years but the latest releases just seem to be garbage. Opera has features already built into it that you need to download 3rd party for FF.

MrGuvernment said:
i dropped FF about 2 months back when its constant crap PDF / Flash (almost %CPU usage) suppot and memory leaks (1.0.7 and RC) and went to Opera.

Blame Adobe and Macromedia for their poor plugins. As far as memory usage goes, FF 1.5 fixes a good chunk of it. A couple of configuration settings will lower memory usage even more. But it's going to take the article IceCzar linked to, plus a rewritten Flash plugin (it's one of the primary culprits of memory leakage) to really fix the problem.

i havent looked back Since - for me going to Opera from FF was like when i went to FF from IE - and u sed FF almost 2 years but the latest releases just seem to be garbage. Opera has features already built into it that you need to download 3rd party for FF.

You make it sound as if extensibility is a bad thing.

No issues here. I'm with Firefox, and I ain't looking back. :)

just have the folder where you save the images open and drag them from the browser to the folder. that is what I do.

i have that problem whenever i download any file at all...but only on a pentium 3 500 mhz machine with 128 megs of ram which is running windows xp (with all eye candy off) (my machine at work). on my normal desktop, i never have problems.

I prefer Opera. Ive been using Opera for maybe 3 years.

WS6 said:
just have the folder where you save the images open and drag them from the browser to the folder. that is what I do.
sweet, thanks

Well, I had that issue myself but I fixed it by merely setting the download manager to close as soon as the download is finished. With images, its automatic for the most part and works exactly how IE handles saving images. The drag drop method is great if you have the room but I tend to expand browser windows to the max.

As for Opera, I loved that browser the best myself and used it for years. I still have a copy of 1.7 but stopped using when they were going to charge to remove ads. I stick with IE and Mozilla now.

-SB

I hate that saving images in FF is limited. In IE, I have the choice of bitmap or jpeg...FF will only do jpeg.
Does anyone know if the bug with Adblock preventing Macromedia Flash Player 8 is still a problem? I loved Adblock, but it kills legitimate Flash, as well as Flash popups. I could never find a way around it.

SpookyBastard said:
The drag drop method is great if you have the room but I tend to expand browser windows to the max.
-SB

That is why it's so cool to have dual screens. :D

MiG29TangentBoy said:
I hate that saving images in FF is limited. In IE, I have the choice of bitmap or jpeg...FF will only do jpeg.
Does anyone know if the bug with Adblock preventing Macromedia Flash Player 8 is still a problem? I loved Adblock, but it kills legitimate Flash, as well as Flash popups. I could never find a way around it.

Use the Filterset.G definitions.

Terpfen said:
Blame Adobe and Macromedia for their poor plugins. As far as memory usage goes, FF 1.5 fixes a good chunk of it. A couple of configuration settings will lower memory usage even more. But it's going to take the article IceCzar linked to, plus a rewritten Flash plugin (it's one of the primary culprits of memory leakage) to really fix the problem.

You make it sound as if extensibility is a bad thing.

Not at all - it is fantastic to be able to add on what you like - i think FF is great for having such a strong community behind it.

as for the flash and PDF support - i had thought this was browser based more so... - since i dont have the issues in Opera - obviously not in IE only FF.

Back