Why didn't anyone tell me it was this easy?

Thanks for the reply grinch. If I was to do a full 3d rip then reencode it in to SBS like you mentioned, then it would play back fine without TMC and such correct? My tv only requires me to press one button on the remote to change it to SBS so it's not much of an issue. But if I encode it to SBS can I assume it will no longer be a proper rip with menus intact? Is there a way to do full menus and features after being reencoded to SBS?

Long story short is my TV is super quick to playback SBS encoded files. So as long as I can encode them decently and play them back with plex or whatever all in one front end I decide to go with then I'm all set. There are only a handful of 3D movies that are any good but my wife still loves the gimick factor. I don't want to have to build my whole setup around half a dozen movies, so if I have to sacrifice a bit on the 3d movies but still have their playback feature I guess I'll be fine.

Yes, you have the right idea. Once you re-encode into SBS format, it's effectively like any other video, just playing side by side. You won't have any menus or related content - just the movie itself and manually enabling 3D mode on your TV is certainly reasonable.

I don't know how much (if any) the quality of the 3D suffers when encoding into SBS vs. native framepacked. But at the end of the day, it should accomplish what you want.

I'd be curious to hear your experience once you've had some time with it. I've basically resigned I'll use the disc for 3D and everything else 2D be presented in separate frontend.

Back