Why did AMD introduce a botched solution in the name of 290X

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the entire thread I have refrained from name calling, fanboyism, flares and hatred. Yet instead of listening to my opinion all the so called AMD fan boys labelled me as an Nvidia shill. Please go
through my original post and see if there was any bias.

Try to get the gist, of the matter, is all I have to say.

If AMD makes a product to send to reviewers then I wouldn't care about posting here. AMD sells it's products to end users like you and me, who have bought their cards in the past and continue to do so in the present.

I have been on [H] for many years and haven't resorted to flame baiting or name calling like some of the idiots in this thread. I wanted to buy the current AMD product but was frustrated about a few key things which I mentioned in my original post. Hope that explains a few things.

PS: Let's say tomorrow I buy a non-reference 290, would I become an AMD shill?

It's the timing of the thread is the problem. You are just after buying a 780 lightening and opened a thread on it and praised it to the highest, which is fine. Then you open a thread on the 290x/290 and run them into the ground. You claim most reviews have lambasted AMD for having an inferior product, yet, most sites that I have read have given the cards awards. In fact, the cards are so good that it made Nvidia drop prices by a lot, something which I haven't seen Nvidia do ever before.

You and others also say the cards have no overclocking room, yet, the 290x seems to do very well on overclocking sites, breaking world records and all. Which shows that there is plenty of overclocking headroom there.

You and Xoleras keep coming back, making the same comments, saying the same thing over and over and over and over. But, and this is the thing that is annoying people on this thread and getting you both labelled as NVidia fanboys, is that you refuse to listen to people who actually have the card. You also completely choose to ignore the opinions of the two people here who have reviewed the card, Brent and Kyle.

Also if you check Guru3d, they do sound checks in a closed PC case, noise level 43dBA for the 290x and 40 dBA for the 780. Most other sites do the sound checks on an open bench.

Also the smoothness that someone mentioned earlier was about crossfire and sli. Here is the quote from the review here

"A very important note to make, while the performance shown there shows the framerate, it does not relate the smoothness and feel of the game. In this, AMD Radeon R9 290X CrossFire was a lot smoother in Far Cry 3. We found that with both TITAN SLI and 780 SLI there was an extreme choppiness and stutter to the game. Whereas, with R9 290X CrossFire, it was a smoother experience. So far, in each game, a pattern is forming favoring CrossFire for smoothness on R9 290X CrossFire"

Yeah for real, it's not like there are objective figures at hundreds of websites showing excessive throttling at quiet mode fan speeds and noise tests showing greater than GTX 480 levels of noise in uber mode. And there are plenty who owned 6970 and 7970 cards, the cooler is basically identical on the 290 series of cards. I know what it sounds like. But those cards didn't require 47/55% fan for proper performance - big difference, huh? Shockingly enough, you could overclock the 7970 and run it at low fan speeds, easily at 40%. Without a performance loss. This is the biggest qualm with the 290. Attaining quiet operation which could be done on the 5870 - 7970 is not possible without huge performance losses now on the 290/290X.

You can't critique something unless you own it, even if tons of reviews everywhere around the web basically re-enforce the same issues with quiet throttling/noise. So we should just ignore 50 websites all saying the same thing, and just go out and buy a 290 to critique it. Gotcha.

I would like to see those 50 website reviews showing huge performance loss. As above, most sites gave both cards awards. You keep harping on about things, but, the performance on quiet mode is roughly between a 780 and a Titan for the 290x. Which is pretty damn good.

And as well as that, noise is completely subjective, for me the guru3d website does the most accurate noise tests. They use DBA weighting, put the cards inside a case and generally makes it most like what it would be a real world situation.

And no you don't have to own a card to say what ever you want about it. Sure, but, YOU keep ignoring every owner of the cards in this thread. A couple have even posted benchmarks and their own results to backup their arguments, but you still ignore them. You have to take their opinion into account as well. Since you don't have a card you can't say they are wrong.

Sure the cooler could have been better, but, it seems to be doing the job for most people who have the card. It's also a blower cooler, which is getting the heat outside of the case.

The power use, 40 watts? is that a big deal? Not really.

But I think most people, I know I am, are fed up to the teeth of reading the exact same comments from you time after time. WE get it, you don't like the cooler and aren't going to buy the card. If it upsets you that much write to AMD and complain to them.

Wow, gone for a few days and come back and somebody actually has to make a troll thread with "botched?" in the title then argue with people that really own the card saying they don't see the big problems and yet feel the need to continue the charade. Why can't NV card owners be happy with what they have without crapping on the competition?

Well I am myself interested in the new xdma crossfire. Should be compelling to get two R9 290s. But no way am I going to put two reference cards in my PC. I can probably see what non-reference brings to the table. Maybe MSI will have a similar lightening version on the R9 series as they have for the 780 GTX. That would be my pick seeing how great the PCB and heatsink are.

I have two 290's, I experience no throttling and the fans are annoying. But that is just me personally, I find just about all fans annoying. I ordered two new aquacomputer blocks for them so that should solve that problem.

My issue is the black screens, and after playing for a few days I now get full screen white frames that flash every now and again, which is very annoying. Only seems to happen in DX9 games though. I'm going to wait it out and see if a driver update fixes that issue. Other than that, the cards are pretty damn good.

Well I am myself interested in the new xdma crossfire. Should be compelling to get two R9 290s. But no way am I going to put two reference cards in my PC. I can probably see what non-reference brings to the table. Maybe MSI will have a similar lightening version on the R9 series as they have for the 780 GTX. That would be my pick seeing how great the PCB and heatsink are.

I agree with your opinion about the 290 series of cards being a lost opportunity. I think we both pushed that opinion a bit too far, perhaps - I said my piece, I think AMD could have done way better. I'll get called the nvidia fanboy, what the hell ever. I bought so many AMD GPUs, it really isn't funny.

But, I said my piece. I hope AMD does better next time. What AMD did with the 290 wasn't worth the bad press and what not, I truly hope that they have a refresh up their sleeve to update the 290 reference design. IF they do that, i'll be first in line to praise it.

Anyway, i'm done here. Nobody will change anyones mind. Not worth arguing really. I've come to realize this.

What is wrong with this thread...

290X: Yes its loud (I guess, just slapped block to it the moment I got it), hot and eats power like nothing else but what I wanted was the raw performance it provides when properly cooled. Not to forget price: card and block for less than 780Ti

Or what you say about this:
3DMARK11 GS: 19781
That is with tessellation.

Best Titans do little over 18k (Graphics Score) with water. Lest see if 780Ti can do better.

WE get it, you don't like the cooler and aren't going to buy the card. If it upsets you that much write to AMD and complain to them.

Not just that but the frequency which these "facts" come out. As if because madgun says something on the [H] forum and keeps repeating himself will actually make it happen. It is not only annoying but it also removes the focus from the actual card which most people like.

And for what purpose was this thread exactly, even madgun knows that the AIB will come with their own version of the 290x cooler in a month or so ?

Just to piss people of in the forums.

Then AMD should just have launched their cards when the partners were ready to release AIB. As simple as that!

Then AMD should just have launched their cards when the partners were ready to release AIB. As simple as that!

Why? What reasoning is there to do that?
If you wait for a product to be perfect before launching, you will never launch...

Why? the product as is has been shown to be a great value due to its high performance and cost relative to Nvidias offerings. The only people basically complaining are amazingly enough Nvidia owners.

Edit: BTW, considering you stated you havent insulted anyone after we both got infractions for insults shows just how believable you are.

Why? the product as is has been shown to be a great value due to its high performance and cost relative to Nvidias offerings. The only people basically complaining are amazingly enough Nvidia owners.

Edit: BTW, considering you stated you havent insulted anyone after we both got infractions for insults shows just how believable you are.

I just used your type of language and got frustrated by the constant name calling. That's it!

Also if AMD doesn't know how to make a decent cooler, it should let it's partners design them.

I just used your type of language and got frustrated by the constant name calling. That's it!

Also if AMD doesn't know how to make a decent cooler, it should let it's partners design them.

The cooler works well enough for it to beat your Nvidia card, I would call that pretty decent. Hell, the card down clocks to its base level and still beats your Nvidia card.

this thread is a major fail. You nVidia trolls are really butthurt.

Agree.

Wake up NVIDIA zombies!!!! Quit drinking the green kool aid and come and enjoy better more affordable performance from AMD.

The cooler works well enough for it to beat your Nvidia card, I would call that pretty decent. Hell, the card down clocks to its base level and still beats your Nvidia card.

I gotta correct what you're stating here, as it is non-factual. At base clocks (662mhz) it is as fast as the 7970GHz edition. Read the 290 review at anandtech. They tested at 40% fanspeed and performance dropped by 11%. At base clocks, performance dropped by 22-25% which resulted in base clocks being used, and it was barely as fast as the 280X in that scenario. So let's summarize: using a quiet fan profile that is still louder than Kepler results in the card throttling to base clocks of 662MHZ. And at that point, it performs around GTX 770 and 280X performance levels, but you guys are okay with this? Come on man. This is why you guys need to petition AMD to fix their shit. The chip is capable, but clearly the chip performance is tied to the cooler. With that being the case, the throttling situation is not acceptable unless you can accept AMD reference fan noise. Having used the 7970 for a long time, I don't find 55% fan acceptable.

I would like AMD to release a more complete and better product. That's a product I would buy. A product that performs like a 7970 for quiet fan profiles, no thanks. Read this entire page:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7481/the-amd-radeon-r9-290-review/15

To get down to the 34%-38% fan speed range, the 290 has to shed an average of 22% of its performance, peaking under a few titles at 25%. To be sure this makes the card much quieter – though not as quiet as a GTX 780 – but it also sacrifices much of the 290’s performance advantage in the process. At this point we’ve essentially reduced it to a 280X.

So it's still louder than the reference 780, but with that quiet fan profile it is performing like a 7970Ghz. And you guys are okay with this? Come on. Again - the chip is capable. The reference design fucking ruins it. If this throttling stuff did not happen, I would have bought two of these cards, just like I bought 2 7970s. And a 6970. ETC. Call me an nvidia fanboy. Green cool aid. Keep going. The product is fucked up and AMD fucked up, period - petition them to fix their shit so that their product is more desirable. As things are tons of people aren't buying these cards because of these reasons, and instead of admitting that AMD could do better you guys keep ranting about nvidia fanboys. More like, good product fanboys. I don't want 55% fanspeed after having heard the kepler reference shroud (QUIET) and after having used the 7970 (NOT QUIET at 55%). AMD could make this the fucking best GPU on the market right now, but it just isn't right now. I want them to do better.

Benches, facts or else don't speak at all!

AMD fans will accept garbage as superior. You can keep that shit in your PC till it starts smelling bad :D

Last edited:
Benches, facts or else STFU!

AMD fans will accept garbage as superior. You can keep that shit in your PC till it starts smelling bad :D

C'mon man, that isn't called for. I just want a better product out of AMD. You gotta admit the chip is very capable - but the reference design makes it very bad as-is. That's all I want. I'm not here to flame the 290 and call it "shit" , because the chip itself isn't shit. The reference cooler, well that is shit - clearly when the ref cooler causes throttling down to base clocks and a 22% performance loss, that clearly isn't acceptable.

These guys need to demand better products out of AMD. Accepting bullshit from AMD will just cause them to keep releasing cards with bullshit compromises. You don't get those types of compromises with nvidia cards, and that's why nvidia cards still sell better despite their higher price. With NV you don't get bullshit compromises. You guys need to demand the same from AMD.

Well AMD fan boys are themselves instigating that response. 290X is a great chip as I mentioned in my first post but a lot of people have simply ignored it :/

Anyways doesn't seem like this thread is going any where. The message I wanted to convey has been delivered loud and clear.

Someone please close this thread. It's just a waste of internet bandwidth and server space.

Benches, facts or else don't speak at all!

Why don't you do everyone a favor and just let it go...or grow up, whichever comes first..

Yea and you would continue to defend the AMD paid shills I encountered on this thread.

why hasnt the mods infracted this joker yet?

hes been thread crapping in several topics...

why hasnt the mods infracted this joker yet?

hes been thread crapping in several topics...

I would not worry, chances are we will not be seeing much of him anymore. :) In the meantime, I am truly looking forward to my XFX R9 290 that I will be receiving today. Thank you to all those who own the card and gave an honest assessment of it, I really appreciate it.

at first the 290 was designed to throttle and match 770 performance and stay quiet .
Amd was doing things differently than nivida no matter how you look at it.
powertune top frequency limit vs base frequency limit.
no bs compromise, just choices.

keep innovating amd !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back