Who's reliable in pre-built?

Nazo

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 2, 2002
Messages
3,672
For as long as I can remember, I've had only custom-made systems, so I know next to nothing about pre-built except some VERY bad experiences trying to help people with Compaqs (usually ending in me giving up, though I did suceed once when we were installing an upgraded soundcard in a friend's compaq a long time ago -- just... It took about half a day to do it...) With a more recent experience helping a friend discover quite painfully that Dell isn't exactly the highest quality (imagine what it feels like discovering quite suddenly that you have no agp and, therefore, the most likely highest video upgrade you can really count on is a 5700LE or a 5500 since you're limited to PCI.)

But, when it comes to recommending a brand, I just fall short. All I can say is that, as I understood it, Compaq was a part of HP or something, so I'm inclined to say don't trust them, and, most especially, I know not to trust Dell. But, maybe when they stamp the HP name on there instead of Compaq it means they put more effort (heck, any effort at all is more -- even if it consists of asking a 5 year old) into the quality? What about the Sony Vaios? I was impressed to hear that one of their pre-built systems supposedly actually had water cooling, but, I also have a pretty low opinion of sony after buying sony brand products over the years. What about gateway? I hate microsoft, but, looking at the hardware itself, it seems like they actually make decent systems.

Anyway, who would you recommend to a friend who doesn't know how to put together a system when you can't help them?
 
Going pre-built doesn't necessarily mean you have to go with the Big 3 proprietary machines (Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway).

You can get great pre-built modular systems from Monarch, Polywell, ABS, Velocity Micro, and others.
 
Stellar said:
You can get great pre-built modular systems from Monarch, Polywell, ABS, Velocity Micro, and others.

Ah, I didn't know they did that stuff to be honest. Erm, who among those types would you recommend though? I'm not happy with Monarch though. My dad ran into a whole mess with them just a few months ago. They shipped him the wrong CPU after making him wait for weeks longer than he was supposed to, lied about it, and just gave a whole mess of troubles in general.

They can do a whole system though, right? See, I'm trying to figure out a way I can just tell a friend to buy a whole computer with no actual hardware assembly to be done by themselves. Well, plugging in the plugs and all, but, definitely nothing like hooking up the motherboard or harddrive or something.
 
yeah there are mannyyyy shops out there that specialize in building computers. www.pcclub.com is where i got my first GOOD pc. it cost alot *2600 dollars because i got the latest and greatest... what a rip off but i didnt know better* but anyway, you get ma point.
 
ALIENWARE!!!!

seriously though, there are lots of great prebuilts, even prebuilt SFFs (Which are cool) and alot of companys make comps, as well as alot of the whole "You select the parts and we make it for you" dealys

Most sights have it.
 
mattjw916 said:
My vote is for HP/Compaq... I love their business desktops and servers...

I don't know about HP, but, I will never ever recommend compaq. You just have no idea how many days I've wasted trying to help someone fix theirs or upgrade some part. I'm not one to give up on a problem, but, I've only managed to upgrade ONE of them, and fix none. The upgrade being the soundcard that took half a day to get working (it was a standard Creative Labs soundcard -- and this is back when they were the best us humans could afford.)

Anyway, I've heard of alienware and know they are really good and all, but, don't they tend more towards the expensive high end stuff? Most of the types of people I'm recommending stuff to are going to need mid-range, even the occasional slightly lower -- but not TOO low -- stuff.

Well, I'll look into some of these names. Who do you think I can rely the most on?
 
alienware is good and they have gotten into the low end office machines as well

still hard to beat dell if you can catch one of their crazy deals
 
BTW, how do people feel about Gateway? They seem to actually have pretty decent deals. I broke down and told my aunt to go ahead and get the gateway laptop she found for an amazing deal at a sale the other day with all the nice things like a DVD+/-RW drive and memory card reader, etc -- not to mention a tolerable amount of memory (most laptops have 256 right now it seems like) -- I believe it was even an A64, and after rebates it came to $700 or so...

Did I make a bad recommendation? Thing is, closest thing I could find for her in her price range was a relatively old Toshiba. I think it was a 1.6GHz AMD -- can't remember which type of chip. Only 256MB of memory, small HD, etc. But, the best I could find for that price range... Main thing I'm wondering about here is, how are they in reliability? I still have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 405CS which was made somewhere in the general area of 96 or so (it was specifically designed for Windows 95 -- which primarily meant decreasing DOS support and coming with more onboard memory I think.) I've spilled drinks (shorting the keyboard) gotten damaged spots on the HD just from sheer age, yet, this thing is still going strong. I can hook up an old network adaptor, plug in a memory card adaptor (not reader, adaptor, it's compact flash - eg ATA) and all that, still in Windows 95B. My aunt has a similar, but, older, Toshiba Satellite (non-pro) which I recently upgraded the memory so I could install Windows 95 and what she's hoping to see is a laptop with the durability that these have shown us.

Similarly, how are PCs with durability. Ok, if alienware lets you choose your own parts, I can select for them based on their tastes, so that will help a bit -- and in this case I'm curious about how they are in support rather than durability. I do know that besides the usual annoyance at MS in general, I'm upset that gateway tricked my school into buying a bunch of systems that are essentially laptops designed to semi look like PCs at god only knows how much cost when they would have been so much better off with real PC as well as having spent less. Still, this doesn't really speak one way or the other about their reliability or durability to be honest, just their marketing I guess.

Sorry for the 20 questions, but, I'm tired of being unable to help people out when it comes to situations where I can't really build and support it for them from at least one state away (in one case, even more.) I just never knew much about prebuilt systems short of the pains of servicing compaqs and my friend's experience with dell due to the fact I've had a custom system since my very first PC (and have never once regretted this fact.)
 
Do not go with ALIENWARE unless you like bending over, grabing your ankles, taking it dry and liking it.

Honestly tho ... if you had no problems playing with LEGO as a kid, its not that much of a step up to build your own PC. EVerything fits together like LEGO, all connections are indexed so they only fit with the correct components.
 
bonkrowave said:
Honestly tho ... if you had no problems playing with LEGO as a kid, its not that much of a step up to build your own PC. EVerything fits together like LEGO, all connections are indexed so they only fit with the correct components.

I have no troubles whatsoever putting together a system. Like I said, I've had custom built since my first -- which, btw, was nothing near to a modern system (lol 286... ouch...) However, just imagine someone who's never even SEEN computer hardware before trying to put it all together... Oh, and there is one dangerous point. Putting that heatsink on the CPU. Even I've wasted one cpu that way, and another due to a heatsink coming loose (long story, the things holding it in place broke.)

mattjw916, I never even imagined it was posible for compaq to be a decent brand. But, are they still making those systems that are so uber-custom built that you almost can't upgrade anything at all? If so, I'd still rather point to someone else.
 
Nazo said:
I have no troubles whatsoever putting together a system. Like I said, I've had custom built since my first -- which, btw, was nothing near to a modern system (lol 286... ouch...) However, just imagine someone who's never even SEEN computer hardware before trying to put it all together... Oh, and there is one dangerous point. Putting that heatsink on the CPU. Even I've wasted one cpu that way, and another due to a heatsink coming loose (long story, the things holding it in place broke.)

mattjw916, I never even imagined it was posible for compaq to be a decent brand. But, are they still making those systems that are so uber-custom built that you almost can't upgrade anything at all? If so, I'd still rather point to someone else.

Ya thats true ... the heatsink part is touchy. They really need to design a better system for that. We can have photorealistic environments, gigs and gigs of RAM and storage, 4ghz processors, water cooled systems .... yet they cant seam to build a problem free heatsink retension mechanism.
 
Here's my 2¢:

The big 3 (Dell/HP/Gateway) are all a risky bet. I have been supporting computers for years and this hasn't always been the case, but lately I'm disinclined to trust any of them. At one point Dell had excellent support, not so much any more. Same with Gateway. When it comes to HP/Compaq you have to look at things a bit differently. NEVER reccomend a home model HP/Compaq--Presario, etc. They are major pieces of **you know**. Their business lines on the other hand are actually faily decent machines. Our IT department just rolled out a major overhaul and we have HP/Compaq Dc7100 machines...nice for the business world.

As far as you assertation that Dell sucks simply because that mdel didn't have an AGP card, I'd say that's a bit skewed. It was a case of a person not knowing what they were buying. Dell does over systems with AGP, and I'm sure soon with PCI-e. The thing you have to be certain with any prebuild is knowing what you're getting. Sure in the enthusiast community we would cringe at the thought of a system without support for certain hardware standards, but does the little ol' grandma reading AOL email from her grandkiddies really need AGP support?

So, to wrap it up, no matter what you by from whom, be CERTAIN that you know what you are getting. And unfortuanatly I have not found a good answer to the enevitable question "What brand of computer should I buy?"
 
I would highly recommened Monarch. I really trust those guys. I've never purchased a system from them but I've spent alot on components. There was a very slight mix up on one of my orders, they absolutely bent over backwards to make everything ok, and make sure I was happy. Really went above and beyond. I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way but seriously, those guys are great. I'd take a look at their systems.
 
TECHKnight said:
As far as you assertation that Dell sucks simply because you didn't have an AGP card in your model, I'd say that's a bit skewed. It was a case of a person not knowing what they were buying. Dell does over systems with AGP, and I'm sure soon with PCI-e. The thing you have to be certain with any prebuild is knowing what you're getting. Sure in the enthusiast community we would cringe at the thought of a system without support for certain hardware standards, but does the little ol' grandma reading AOL email from her grandkiddies really need AGP support?
I wasn't basing it on JUST that, however, the reason that was such a huge factor is because they have to go pretty darned far out of their way to give someone a system with no AGP support. I mean, I kind of even wonder if they didn't end up having to take a board that had AGP and get someone to specifically remove it just for them. Not putting something so basic in a system kind of speaks towards their support of upgradability and that sort of thing with their customers. Anyway, my opinion was most directly formed by that more direct experience, however, I have heard just about nothing but complaints over the years when it comes to dell from various people, quite a bit of which was here on this forum from pretty reliable people.

So, to wrap it up, no matter what you by from whom, be CERTAIN that you know what you are getting. And unfortuanatly I have not found a good answer to the enevitable question "What brand of computer should I buy?"
I plan to be certain as I can be, but, how do I know there won't be some little surprise? I mean, before this friend with no agp, I never would have thought to check to see if it had AGP in it... I mean, I thought it was a given... Do I have to start making certain it has memory card slots while I'm at it? I kind of need something to semi-rely on as a suggestion for brand.


BTW, bonkrowave, what exactly is wrong with alienware?

EDIT: I can't trust monarch after this whole deal my dad went through. Took him about a month to get the stuff he ordered and it was wrong when he finally did... And should a stock A64 run at nearly 50C with a heatsink that's basically a larger version of what I currently have (same exact thing, just differently shaped to fit on the A64 slot, and it's a little bigger -- which means more copper.) He was actually planning to OC it originally, but, he's not going to get much out of that... I'm pretty sure it should be running cooler, which means that they didn't put decent thermal compound on there or do a decent job of it I suspect. Mind you, it is the older one with the bigger process, but, I kind of wonder.
 
Nazo said:
I have no troubles whatsoever putting together a system. Like I said, I've had custom built since my first -- which, btw, was nothing near to a modern system (lol 286... ouch...) However, just imagine someone who's never even SEEN computer hardware before trying to put it all together...

Hmmm, if it was my friend I'd beg him to let me build him one. I'm always trying to get my friends to upgrade just so I can throw a new computer together. Weird that you wouldn't want to...
 
Boogalou said:
Hmmm, if it was my friend I'd beg him to let me build him one. I'm always trying to get my friends to upgrade just so I can throw a new computer together. Weird that you wouldn't want to...

What's weird about not wanting to have to build and support a system that will be a minimum of one state away, and in one case a fourth of the US away? Can you imagine if anything goes wrong with a component?
 
Nazo said:
What's weird about not wanting to have to build and support a system that will be a minimum of one state away, and in one case a fourth of the US away? Can you imagine if anything goes wrong with a component?

Dont any of the companies which pre-build computers do the exact same thing ?
 
Last I checked, which, I admit was a long time ago, you could get support from the people who sold your system to you, but, they typically wouldn't support a system you didn't buy from them. The idea is to hopefully find them some vague semblance of local support. Besides, shipping is a royal pain when it comes to a whole system.
 
Well, i dont rec. DEll...We have Gc280s at work. 512 mb Dual channel, 3.0Ghz 800Mhz FSB HT CPU. onboard LAN, video, sound...

There the biggest POS computer ever, i swear my my old 2500+ with 512 mb dual channel, (stock speeds) waled all over them. We have tried everything. Freshinstall, there drivers, our own drivers (from intel) diffrent OSes The computers just run like shit. The lag opening outlook 2003....

Anyways...most of the dell stuff we have is slow for its specs...
 
Well right now I'm NOT going to suggest eMachines! :rolleyes: If I could have afforded a little more I would have went with a Dell. I have an Inspiron 4k laptop that I've had over the past 5 years and it has been an exceptional machine. It's been a workhorse (ran 36 channels of Pay Per View for 2 days striaght), gamer, and overal performer. I have not heard anything bad about their machines or support.

Just my 2 cents. :D
 
If he wants a budget rig, those EMachines are pretty good. We have tons and tons of HP/Compaq going in for service all the time. We hardly receive any EMachines and when we do it is because the customer manage to ruin a stable unit by loading viruses/spyware/adware.
 
Chelica said:
If he wants a budget rig, those EMachines are pretty good. We have tons and tons of HP/Compaq going in for service all the time. We hardly receive any EMachines and when we do it is because the customer manage to ruin a stable unit by loading viruses/spyware/adware.
Or they just threw them in the trash! :p

You mean they ruined a unit by loading up "Anti-virus/spyware/adware" software or they got a virus or spyware on their system?
 
I don't know... My aunt got an e-Machine years ago. It wasn't very good even at the time, but, I've seen worse. My only real complaint about the thing was that it's power supply was proprietary as heck. You couldn't squeeze a normal PSU in there since the case was made to fit their tiny little thing, so we had to dig and dig until we found another e-Machines PSU. Not just hard to replace, but, since it's smaller, the dust buildup is more damaging to the thing since the average Jane/Joe doesn't blow out that PSU -- ever... All the other components appeared to be pretty standard stuff though, and the machine is still running without troubles other than the fact it's ancient and slow. (P3-400. I think we upgraded her to 256MB, or was it 512MB?) Obvious solution for this is to buy a higher-end model though (she needed CHEAP. As in dirt costing more type cheap.)
 
Oh I'm sure mine will be too once I get my issue fixed. :D I'm just bieng pissy atm.

It's the W3050 and has some decent specs other than the processor but it was what I could afford at the time.
 
Dell used to have excellent customer service, but you can't find a single Customer Service rep for Dell that isnt in India apparently anymore, they screwed me over on shipping and I've been trying for 3 months to get it taken care of and no one understands me/I don't understand them.

I don't have anything against them as a people or whatever, but if I live in the US and I only speak english how am I supposed to get help from someone who can't understand what I'm talking about?
 
One of the biggest complaints about Dell is the outsourcing support to India. I'll give you a little tip. If you buy a Dimension you'll get India support. If you buy an Optiplex it's considered a small business purchase and if you ever call support you'll talk to support people in the U.S.

For custom built rigs I always thought these guys have pretty good deals. I don't have any personal experience with their support, but haven't heard any negative things on them.
 
I got a Voodoo PC 2 days ago (Rage F5) and I'm thrilled with it thus far. Super quiet and super fast (and, yeah, I've been building my own for the past 8 years, too), so I think they're a good (if very expensive) option.
 
Hrm, can't be TOO expensive. I checked out that last link btw, and it seemed kind of nice, but, is there anyone that gives you complete freedom as to what components go into it? For example, what if I wanted to set up a friend using a mobile athlon in a desktop system with a good HSF (for the pricerange) like this one? I mean, if you think about it, how many of those are going to let you do that? Is this even possible though, or is it just only going to happen in a custom built system? I'd like to be able to get cheaper components in some areas, more expensive in others. For example, who wants a generic 500W? That's the lowest they'd go though. I'd rather recommend a quality 400 or so.

I guess my biggest fear is suggesting something and them later finding out that the CPU is soldered to the board or something stupid like this (yes this actually happens, I and my dad once planned to upgrade someone's system just to find out that the cpu wouldn't go in the slot because there was no slot. The stupid duron was soldered to the board... Had to give her a new board entirely too.)
 
Back
Top