who makes the best 802.11G router?

Destonomos

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering, I don't want something that is going to be dropping connection very easily. From the modem spot I figure I want a router that doesn't drop any signal through 2 or 3 walls within 20 feet of it. Thats all I ask. I have a linksys router B at home but I need another and I want G this time and I am in college and money is tight so i'm trying to pinch pennys but i'm a linksys freak when it comes to networking and when I look at other brands I feel like i'm buying generic versions :(. I think its cause linksys routers have two antennas and others i'm seeing only have one.

Most people here would suggest the Linksys WRT54G.
I use it at home, works through several solid stone walls, and never an issue for me! :D

After using the Linksys WRT54G for several projects I would certainly not hesitate to recomend it, it gives a very good signal strength and have used this project in several 6+ bedroom houses in the UK (so all the signals going through solid brick or stone walls) with no problem at all. Please though remember that even though your client device may have the ability to find the access point, you must ensure that they have sufficient power to transmit back to the router itself - this is a key issue that many people forget and wonder why they keep getting dropped connections. Also try to ensure that your clients are all G specification - mixed mode can cause signal disrubtion - also remember to get clients that support WPA - about 5 minutes is this latest time to crack 128BIT WEP (if of course there is sufficient traffic)!

I've got a WRT54G as well. It's a good router, but for some reason mine stops transmitting the wifi signal after about 2 hours or so. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to reset it. Luckily I rarely use the wifi access anymore.

Back