Which OverClock is better?

mtbaird

Gawd
well my [email protected] OC i thought was stable turns out to have failed after 10 hours of p95 :(

my options now are to either

A) run at 3ghz with the 5:4 ratio making my ram run 400mhz

OR

B) run at 3.2ghz with 3:2 divider and ram at 360mhz

C) Up the voltage from stock to someting higher? (my load temps @3.4 are 61C so i doubt this is a good idea)

which one do yall think is better?

EDIT: 400mhz memory would be 2-7-4-4
360mhz would be 2-6-3-3

Why don't you benchmark it and find out for yourself. Use sisoft sandra and try some 3dmark01.

Why not leave it at 3.4? Who cares if it fails after 10 hours?? If you can play games and run programs and do all of your normal every day stuff on there with no problems, why not keep it?

I would agree with maximus - I was thinking the same damn thing but for some reason I just didn't type it out.

well its only rebooted during CS twice so i guess im ok with that, its been over 2 months

and is 42 idle and 61 load to much? someone says i should ge ta new HSF but i dont want a new one if i have to pay for it haha

Those temperatures are not lifethreatening to the cpu. A better hsf would keep all of the parts cooler and make them run happier but it's not necessary.

Go get a Zalman or an SP-94 with a nice 92mm fan and see how much your temps drop. You're lucky to get a chip that will 3.4 on stock voltage.

Originally posted by Maximus825
Why not leave it at 3.4? Who cares if it fails after 10 hours?? If you can play games and run programs and do all of your normal every day stuff on there with no problems, why not keep it?

totally agree....my setup runs prime for ~1 second, but it hasn't crashed in anything i do and i've been running it at this speed for 3-4 months

Originally posted by Maximus825

Ditto that. Leave it at 3.4!

I would probably raise the voltage about .025 that will probably cure it.

Temps are fine. 61C under load (prime) is fine.

Mine runs at like 66C under load (prime) and its fine. Check to see if you're even getting enough voltage... a lot of mobos undervolt a little so you might want to try like 1.575 just to make sure you got enough juice.

Prime95 is usually major overkill. If it runs prime for an hour, you're usually fine for anything. If it can run for 10 hours!! Thats perfectly stable!

aight guys thanks for abcking me up

so would yall not recommend gettinga new HSF? can i damage my chip at all buy jumping 20C when going under load?

would yall buy a better HSF if you were me? my Thermaltake one now is shit

No, I wouldn't bother with it unless you could easily part for $40 or $50. If that's the case then sure, go ahead.

No, it really wont hurt the proc much at all. My advise is to get a Vantec Aeroflow. It's a $15 HSF that performs VERY well. I've been using it for awhile on my main system. I wanted something good to use while I upgrade to a water setup. I am VERY impressed...

I will sell u my avc sunflower for 20.00 shipped works really good. I have a alpha pal8942 and it works great my 1.6a is @2.48 1.7 volts and my highest temp is 51c. I had it running at 1.75 for over a year and half but now it wont oc that extra 50mhz for some reason oh well this system has lasted me almost 2 years now so I got my moneys worth

Back