Which card out of these two?

Bradmax57

Limp Gawd
ASUS V9980 Ultra (FX 5950 Ultra) or ASUS Radeon 9800 XT /TVD,

I know many people will say the 9800xt and am swaying towards that anyway but would just like some hoenst opinions not biased ones.

Many Thanks

FX 5950u, if you have to spend that much money.

If you want to save some cash, and get the same performance, go with a BFG or Gainward 5900non-ultra, then OC it to faster than a stock 5950u.

from some stories I have read, the real test of the Radeons will be the next version of DX. Some say 9.1 might kill its performance due to the fixed architecture of the chip.

LOL, I knew balderdash, obs or badger-sly would be here, its funny how theres so few of them I can memorize all there screen names.

9800XT... maily because the 5950 has craptastic dx9 performance compared to the 9800XT. Thats the big difference I see between them because in normal dx8 games they're going to both get very playable fps. Why get something that would limit your playability?

Honestly if I were in your shoes, I would wait until April when the new cards are released because hopefully both companies can release an exceptional model lineup without any controversy. Just some food for thought.

Originally posted by sev
from some stories I have read, the real test of the Radeons will be the next version of DX. Some say 9.1 might kill its performance due to the fixed architecture of the chip.

are you in anyway implying that the 5950 will not be killed in 9.1 when it is beatin around like a school girl in 9.0?

I used to think this was a simple answer it is not anymore. The answer depends on your individual usage. I choose to go with a 9600XT after contemplating for months on a 9800 pro. When the price dropped to $150.00 on www.newegg.com I jumped all over it. I figured this card will perform fine until DOOMIII and HL2 come out. Then I can decide what to do next rather then making a huge investment and hating myself in 3-6 months. Here is what I did to determine which card was best for me.

Decided I would purchase the best price performance based video card in the following games:

1.) CALL OF DUTY
2.) UT2003
3.) QIII
4.) MAX PAYNE II
5.) HALO

After gather tons of data from multiple articles on multiple sites and adding up the total frames in high quality modes only and dividing it by the lowest price on www.newegg.com I decided I would buy a 9600XT because it came out to be 33 cents per frame compared to the next closest deal the 9700 PRO at 37 cents per frame. Knowing that I will pass this card down to my kids in 3-6 months and purchase a better card for new directx9/shader2+ games later this year it was a no brainer for me.

Definately go for the 9800xt its king right now and i think for a while it will be a top contender. I usually go against 256mb videocards but in the case of a 9800xt i would recommend you getting the 256mb version then you will be totally future ready hands down. Once you get the 9800xt overclock it to hell! :D

Bad things about the GeforceFX5950Ultra

1. Not the the best card when it goes toe to toe with a 9800XT even 9800pro Ati wins.

2. It doesn't match ati's Direct X 9 and shader performance and AA/AF performance.

3. For the costs its not worth buying the FX5950 card.

4. ITS a LOUD! and BULKY! VideoCard

My guess is that the FX5950Ultra will out perform the 9800xt when DoomIII ...but thats only my guess but if you are planning to play Half-Life 2 get the Ati

Originally posted by Badger_sly
FX 5950u, if you have to spend that much money.

If you want to save some cash, and get the same performance, go with a BFG or Gainward 5900non-ultra, then OC it to faster than a stock 5950u.

Thing is I can get them for the same cash,

Originally posted by sKiDmArK
Honestly if I were in your shoes, I would wait until April when the new cards are released because hopefully both companies can release an exceptional model lineup without any controversy. Just some food for thought.
I could wait for the new cards to com in april but they will be mega bucks and need something soon as ive killed my 9800se and the replacement didnt softmod.

Bought an ASUS 9800XT a few weeks ago, and I say its the best investment I've ever made. 'nother vote for 9800xt
I got a friend who has a BFG5900nu oc'ed to 5950 speeds and when we benchmark his will not beat the mighty power of the 9800xt at stock speeds in 3dMark03.

I vote ATI 9800 Pro as a good bang for your $$$ but get over the 3dmark2003 bentcarp do you guys ever look at real benchmarks that have value anymore?

Originally posted by TsayYote
Bought an ASUS 9800XT a few weeks ago, and I say its the best investment I've ever made. 'nother vote for 9800xt
I got a friend who has a BFG5900nu oc'ed to 5950 speeds and when we benchmark his will not beat the mighty power of the 9800xt at stock speeds in 3dMark03.

Originally posted by TsayYote
You had me until the last word.

Originally posted by Roost426
LOL, I knew balderdash, obs or badger-sly would be here, its funny how theres so few of them I can memorize all there screen names.
Also funny when you look at what I suggest. Not my fault most of this board is ATI fanboys.

for(||)
{

castVote.Radeon9800xt(1);
}
else
{
NvidiaBadFrameRate(CallOfDuty,Halo,DirectX91);
}

I highly suggest reading the [H] review on the Nvidia card. This isn't even close to a contest.

Not my fault most of this board is ATI fanboys.

Most people want the most power for there money obs:rolleyes: Whats fanboy in that i ask?
The fx cards just dont offer what they claim plain and simple and they most certainly dont comand the same price as a 9800XT;)

I don't know if it qualifies as 'fanboy', but paying an additional $150 for 25-30 more fps is just plain rediculus, as is the whole "gotta have the newest, fastest card released" mentality.

It's so agravating how cards abandon support for older (2-4 years) games in favor of new features and abilities,... that no-one ever implements. 99% of the games released suck donkey balls, or they have gameplay that lasts 6-8 hours at best.. THAT FRIGGIN SUCKS!

I don't fel justified in plopping down half a 'c' note on a game thats not even going to keep me busy till Conan comes on :(

Anyone remember the SSI AD&D games? Those things took AGES to finish, and you didnt mind hopping right in and playing them again.. they ROCKED! We need more like that... I pray to god some day somebody rereleases ALL the old Gold box and EOB games, with new graphics, sound & gameplay [sigh...]

Originally posted by @trapine
Most people want the most power for there money obs:rolleyes: Whats fanboy in that i ask?

im pretty sure that the 9800XT has much better AA/AF capabilites than that of the 5950Ultra

some bench's might show that the 5950Ultra may have slightly higher FPS but those details are so small that the eye candy is all that matters in the end :D

Originally posted by @trapine
The fx cards just dont offer what they claim plain and simple and they most certainly dont comand the same price as a 9800XT;)
And that is why in a thread asking the same question I said the 9800XT. To say the FX5900NU doesn't doesn't offer what it claims is rediculous. The card costs $177 now. People like yourself that label that as a bad deal is what paints yourself as a fanboy. I recommend cards that perform the best for their price in games. If you feel different go make another "What's your 3DMark score?" thread.

and the attacking by mister obs continues...i saw you posted last and i knew you were going to flame in some sort of way :rolleyes: to my surprise i was right, you are the type of person that likes to get a rise out of people and dissagree with everyone and argue with everyone...in some minutes you are going to quote me and flame on me soo go ahead thats what you always do. :D

Originally posted by Mikey20
and the attacking by mister obs continues...i saw you posted last and i knew you were going to flame in some sort of way :rolleyes: to my surprise i was right, you are the type of person that likes to get a rise out of people and dissagree with everyone and argue with everyone...in some minutes you are going to quote me and flame on me soo go ahead thats what you always do. :D
Instead of calling me a flamer, how about you argue my points for a change. At least when I flame, I manage to argue against the point the person is trying to make. Go ahead and cry about this being a flame if you want. I really could care less.

Originally posted by obs
Also funny when you look at what I suggest. Not my fault most of this board is ATI fanboys.

You know this was certainly NOT always the case. There's a REASON why people switched over en masse. The fact is that ATI has proven itself to be a performance leader. Lately, it's grabbed the lead in marketshare from nvidia. This is no accident, and neither is the fact that so many OEMs have begun carrying high end ATI products since NV's blunder.

Yes, the 5900NU may be much cheaper now, but the prices of ATI cards have fallen as well, with some 9800 Pros dipping under $300 and 9700 Pros available at NewEgg for $200.

Originally posted by NightRaven
You know this was certainly NOT always the case. There's a REASON why people switched over en masse. The fact is that ATI has proven itself to be a performance leader. Lately, it's grabbed the lead in marketshare from nvidia. This is no accident, and neither is the fact that so many OEMs have begun carrying high end ATI products since NV's blunder.

Ding ding. If all things were equal, any forum you asked (unless it were an ATI or NV forum) would pretty much be 50/50. But ATI is making overall better cards right now and the majority (if they have any sense) will gravitate to that.

This can be seen in a lot of things, even in cars... While I can't understand how GM (even ford or chrysler) remain as popular as they are given their poor reliability overall, Toyota has grown to be the #2 automaker in the world (lexus is a part of toyota). This is a complete reversal from the big 3 dominating the car market, and its because people are recognizing a more reliable vehicle.

In graphics cards reliability, performance and image quality all matter and if one company is currently making a better product people will sway in that direction. However unlike cars, computer parts are far more fickle and change over quickly, so in a year nVidia could be making the better product. It might take 10 years for ford and chrysler to reverse what's happened to them, not so for computer components.

Originally posted by Roost426

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:mad: Alright........ who left the door open and let that opinion nazi in here?

9800 XT hands down

nVidia's FX series has been nothing but a huge disappointment.

Is it any wonder Nintendo and M$ have tapped ATI for their next graphics chips?

Back