Which Blu-Ray drive last longer: a drive burning 2X or a drive burning 6X?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
When I burn a 2X blu-Ray 50GB, including verifying, it took 3.5 hr., but the operation is at 2X

Now, if I burn a 50GB at 6X (or 8X when it becomes available), the burning process and verifying will take much less time, but the drive is burning/spinning at the higher 6X or 8X speed.

which of the above make the drive last longer?

I do not believe speed of the burn has any impact on how long a drive will last.

imagine a car, don't they last longer at 3rd gear vs. 5th gear? In fact, they tell you not to drive it at 5 th gear for a prolong time frame

imagine a car, don't they last longer at 3rd gear vs. 5th gear? In fact, they tell you not to drive it at 5 th gear for a prolong time frame

huh? Nobody has ever told me not to drive in fifth gear, pretty sure I would lose my engine driving in any gear under fifth going 65 for prolonged periods. It makes no sense at all what you are saying. By your logic a 4x cd reader should last considerably longer than a 52x cd reader. But generally they last the same amount of time.

Isn't it in fact the opposite? The lower the RPM, the longer the engine will last.
But then again, cars have absolutely nothing to do with the spinning speed of a bluray burn.

Anyhow, to answer the OP question, I generally burn 2 notches of speed slower than recommended for DVD's (eg. 16X rated, burn at 12x).
So for a 8X bluray I would burn at 4X, and for a 6X burner, well no sense in burning at 2x, so 4x it is.
No science behind it, but I haven't had even a single failure over 3 years using this "methodology". Apply salt liberally.

When the drive dies, you can buy a 52x blu-ray burner for $22 shipped on newegg.

blu-ray will only goes to 12X max. But this drive is made in Japan, cost me $300, I want it to last a long time.

So for a 8X bluray I would burn at 4X, and for a 6X burner, well no sense in burning at 2x, so 4x it is.
No science behind it, but I haven't had even a single failure over 3 years using this "methodology". Apply salt liberally.

I know that trick. But what if the disc media is only rated 2X, and the lowest speed of the drive is 2X? I am hoping the data is still there 10 yr. from now

Burning at the slowest speed will give your media the longest exposure to the laser thus giving you well defined pits and hopefully longevity of the data. The burning speed has little effect on the drive its self. In most cases the media will become obsolete before the bearings in the spindle come loose.

Back