Which 5.1 system?

EXreaction

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2005
Messages
280
I am not really sure what to do here, I really would like to spend as little as possible on this, but the system must support optical input.

So far I've only seen these two that fill the space:
Logitech Z-5500
ONKYO HT-S3100

I can get either of these for about $225.

I do not like the way the Onkyo speakers look, they look pretty cheap. Also I am not sure what the best method of connecting my desktop to that would be. The onboard doesn't have any digital sound outputs. I *might* keep using my Audigy 2 ZS card for that, though part of the reason I want a new speaker setup is so I can stop using that card (the drivers suck and I am using the optical input from the live drive from my 360, with the crappy drivers sound will cut out once in a while and I'll have to restart to get it working again).

I am leaning towards the Logitech because of the space I'd save, the connections would be easier, and the speakers look higher quality. If anything else is possible for around or under that price range I would love to see it, but I can't find much if anything.
 
So you have to have 5.1? If it is that tight a budget and you must o 5.1 then the Logicrap is the best deal for gaming.
 
I'd stick with the junk I have now before ever going less than a 5.1 setup. This is mainly for gaming and movies, where I use the directional sound constantly.

Don't buys speakers for looks, but them for how they sound.

And when I can't tell what both sound like before purchasing them? If I could I wouldn't be asking.
 
I have the z-5500 and it kicks .....well it is awesome. I wouldn't buy anything else.
 
True. I have a logitech system. not that model buy a different one (dont know it off hand). I like it, but Its weak on the bass.
 
Get the Logitech. I'm sure you'll be happy with it for a couple years or so. During that time you can save a bit of money and get something really hardcore later if you decide to.
 
Again, do you have to have 5.1 or not? There are much better sounding speakers than the logicrap but you only get 2.1 or 4.0 for that budget. Look around here a bit before you settle on a cheap 5.1 system. It is night and day how much better sounding headphones or 2 speaker systems are than the 5500s.
 
Again, do you have to have 5.1 or not? There are much better sounding speakers than the logicrap but you only get 2.1 or 4.0 for that budget. Look around here a bit before you settle on a cheap 5.1 system. It is night and day how much better sounding headphones or 2 speaker systems are than the 5500s.

Again...

I'd stick with the junk I have now before ever going less than a 5.1 setup.
 
Just because it's 5.1 doesn't mean it will sound better then 2.1. But your first priority seems to be postional audio..In that case any 5.1 will do.
 
I am trying to get the best sound possible from a 5.1 system within my budget. For my use my current speakers sound just fine and they are some cheap Creative Inspires.
 
I ended up buying a refurbished z5500 set off ebay with using the MSFT cashback, so I got it for pretty cheap, but I am trying to return them now (if I can not I will have to resell them on ebay).

These speakers suck, my older cheap ($70 for a 7.1) creative inspire speakers had a greater range (the logitech seem to be completely missing the lower mid-range) then these logitech ones do. They lose a lot of quality and volume if they are not pointed directly at you.
 
Back
Top