Where’s the Enthusiasm for Windows 10?

Interesting results. For me, I have turned off auto updates since they have been pushing 10 hard to 7 and 8 users. I don't like to be forced to give up 7 which works perfectly. For updates, I've now gone to using Autopatcher which does not include all the telemetry crap that MS is dishing out. Also interesting to see that good old XP is still there with 11.7% share.

At the end of October, the world’s most widely used desktop operating system was Windows 7 from Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT) with nearly 56% share. Since August, when Microsoft’s latest OS, Windows 10, was released, Windows 7 has dropped by about 2 percentage points.

And what about Windows 10? At the end of August the new OS claimed 5.2% share, which grew to 6.6% in September, and to 7.9% in October. Windows 10 trails Windows XP (11.7% in October) and Windows 8.1 (10.7%). Adding in Windows 8, Vista, NT, and 2000, the various versions of Windows claimed just over 90% of worldwide desktop OS share. The data come from NetMarketShare.

The worst news for the Redmond giant is that market share growth slowed in October. Windows 10 grew by 1.31 percentage points in October compared with share growth of 1.42 percentage points in September. That probably helps explain why Microsoft has been pushing Windows 10 upgrades hard enough that it was installed on some desktop machines automatically and without the consent of the machine’s owner.

Microsoft said in a statement:

As part of our effort to bring Windows 10 to existing genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers, the Windows 10 upgrade may appear as an optional update in the Windows Update (WU) control panel. This is an intuitive and trusted place people go to find Recommended and Optional updates to Windows. In the recent Windows update, this option was checked as default; this was a mistake and we are removing the check.

Beginning in January, Microsoft will change its categorization of Windows 10 from an ‘Optional’ update to a ‘Recommended’ update. Depending on a user’s update Control Panel settings, the upgrade could take place automatically. It will be possible to intervene and stop the upgrade and Microsoft will continue to allow users to roll back to their systems if they don’t like or want Windows 10.
http://247wallst.com/technology-3/2015/11/01/wheres-the-enthusiasm-for-windows-10/

I wonder if they can be billed for a machines downtime and manpower required to undo it, caused by this aggressive and unwanted approach.

It's a different time than 20 years ago at the time of Windows 95. Consumers these days are not thinking much about operating systems. The don't buy OSes any more, it comes with the hardware and OS updates are come free, even Windows is getting into that act at least on a limited basis.

I think the thing from Microsoft that's generating the most interest and consumer excitement these days isn't Windows but the Surface line. Of course it's a niche product and many millions will use Windows on something not a Surface. But Microsoft is new to hardware game and the Surface line is evolving pretty quickly now and in the x86 space there's really nothing else that gets attention outside of Apple.

Windows 7 is just fine, and 10 really brings nothing to the tablet of relevance - ok, for gamers possibly DirectX 12 I suppose. Change for the sake of change is not a good thing, so no, I have zero enthusiasm about Windows 10 and in the months since it was released I haven't found anything to change that stance.

What kills me is seeing people using Windows 10 and all the crap they're doing - voluntarily, mind you - just to make it a useful product they can live with.

Windows 7 forever, or as long as I can make use of it. ;)

I will just hide the Win10 recommended update...and it better stay hidden.

Because Windows 10, exactly like Windows 8.x, is pointless crap for the core market Windows serves: business and corporate desktops. Consumer sales of Windows PC are only around 20% of the total PC market, and replacement rates of those consumer PCs have a long tail.

Why business isn't exactly excited about it is due to several things including retraining, configuration testing, caution and licensing problems (cost) in a mixed environment.

But none of these things are really a problem. MS still makes the bulk of its profits from Windows and other product licensing. Windows 10 is meh? Big deal. MS still makes tons of money on earlier versions of Windows and associated software licenses.

Because Windows 10, exactly like Windows 8.x, is pointless crap for the core market Windows serves: business and corporate desktops. Consumer sales of Windows PC are only around 20% of the total PC market, and replacement rates of those consumer PCs have a long tail.

While I agree with this business appeal really doesn't generate consumer enthusiasm. For something as old as Windows that's tough especially in a world where so much enthusiasm in now in the mobile space.

However if Windows 10 is going to get incremental improvements and as new hardware comes out, I think there may be some uptick in it. Like Windows Hello. When you read about it it's like so what and of course people start thinking about all the security implications. But in the flesh, it's just incredibly cool.

And I guess privacy concerns snag up the stuff that is cool and would generate consumer enthusiasm. Cortana voice interaction. It's not the kind of thing that you would use in public but it really is cool sitting at my desktop in my office when I researching something and just blurting it out and Cortana now getting so much of right on the first time now in the latest insider builds.

Again I get peoples' issues with privacy. So where do PCs go in terms of being interesting to average people again? If cloud services and leverage of personal information is unacceptable and those kinds of things don't have a place on a PC then what is acceptable and would be interesting to average people in the PC world?

For people who want the newest OS, there was a lot of enthusiasm at first. For many more people who want just an OS and not all of the extra fluff, there is a dieing enthusiasm.

Microsoft really needs to make a lot of this crap optional. They force way to many things on us with the OS. For the casual users who don't know any better, great, those are the folks Microsoft is targeting. For more hardcore users that know exactly what they want, Microsoft is making it difficult. A default install of Windows 10 has almost 50 services running where a default install of 7 has around 26. Functionality wise, other than better SSD and DX12 support, I don't want or need anything different than 7.

I like how they try to make it sound like a lot of people are using it on there computers, by saying that it has been installed on 110 million devises. The word devises doesn't mean only computers. There are phones and tablets. So I don't believe Microsoft numbers.

I like how they try to make it sound like a lot of people are using it on there computers, by saying that it has been installed on 110 million devises. The word devises doesn't mean only computers. There are phones and tablets. So I don't believe Microsoft numbers.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...ase-in-market-share-windows-7-still-dominates. So the Netmarketshare survey had Windows 10's desktop share at 7.94% in October. Assuming 1.5 billion PCs that would be right at 120 million desktops so Microsoft numbers do seem to be in line at least with one popular market share data source.

I am pretty sure the phone and tablet segment with Win 10 is pretty small. I have yet to see a current Windows Phone or Tablet in the wild.
It's probably 100 mil desktops and 10 mil other devices.

Yet they are trying to make my desktop into a mobile.
For what?
How to alienate your userbase.

They already said that they want to make it seamless between desktop and tablet and phone. So putting W10 on all the devises they can make it seamless work between them.

Yet they are trying to make my desktop into a mobile.
For what?
How to alienate your userbase.

They already said that they want to make it seamless between desktop and tablet and phone. So putting W10 on all the devises they can make it seamless work between them.

You missed my point.
Their mobile userbase is tiny in comparison yet the vast majority are having to suffer it!
Give them their own OS, leave us alone.

Wow Windows 7 has over half the market share at 55.71 percent 835.650.000 million. And XP has 11.68 percent 175.200.000 million. Windows 8.1 has 10.68 percent 160.200.000 million. No wonder Microsoft is trying to force Windows 10 on the Windows 7 and 8.1 users.

Wow Windows 7 has over half the market share at 55.71 percent 835.650.000 million. And XP has 11.68 percent 175.200.000 million. Windows 8.1 has 10.68 percent 160.200.000 million. No wonder Microsoft is trying to force Windows 10 on the Windows 7 and 8.1 users.

Not saying that Microsoft is being aggressive with Windows 10 update, even too aggressive but it has only been out 95 days. 8% of the PC OS market in 95 days. People will make what they will of it.

You missed my point.
Their mobile userbase is tiny in comparison yet the vast majority are having to suffer it!

I don't want an OS that isn't Win32 compatible. That's why Windows RT/Surface RT failed. Whatever suffering you're experiencing with Windows 10 it is working well on my 11 systems that range from a 7" tablet to a 3x 1080p non-touch desktop. It actually works a lot better than 7 with multiple monitors.

In any case, fewer and fewer people are buying PCs. The use base of Windows is shrinking. If you know of some cool desktop thingy that make people want to buy more PCs or copies Windows you'd have something valuable to offer. I'm not saying the desktop is dead but clearly sales of new PCs and components are not growing but shrinking.

Whatever evil Microsoft may be guilty of there are market realities that they have to deal with.

I by far prefer Windows 10 to Windows 8/8.1.

The only issue I have with Windows in it's current state is the cobbled together blend of desktop/tablet OS (Control panel and settings - WTF?!), although Windows 10 has improved leaps and bounds in this regard over Windows 8. I just don't understand why there cannot be an option on install that allows me to select tablet OS/desktop OS or blend of both? As I can't see surface gaining enough of a market share to allow for Microsoft to market a Windows desktop/portable tablet/phone ecosystem, which is the whole point of the forced touch interface on desktop users.

The other issue I have is not knowing exactly what Windows is sending back home to HQ and the automatic driver updates have caught me off guard twice now - I've since disabled them.

Apart from that I actually find it quite refreshing over Windows 7, DPI scaling is far better with my 4k monitor.

As I can't see surface gaining enough of a market share to allow for Microsoft to market a Windows desktop/portable tablet/phone ecosystem, which is the whole point of the forced touch interface on desktop users.

There are far more touch enabled and convertible devices beyond the Surface line. As for forced touch interaction, all applications with mouse and keyboard just like prior version of Windows. In addition to better DPI scaling there's per monitor DPI scaling, per monitor task bars, mouse enabled window snapping and multiple monitor task viewing.

For all of this idea of touch being forced on people, there are a number of significant desktop centric enhancements in Windows 10 compared to prior versions. Even the Start Menu in Threshold 2 now allows for jump lists in tiles. Even 7 couldn't handle an arbitrary number of short cuts with access to jump lists in Start.

There are far more touch enabled and convertible devices beyond the Surface line. As for forced touch interaction, all applications with mouse and keyboard just like prior version of Windows. In addition to better DPI scaling there's per monitor DPI scaling, per monitor task bars, mouse enabled window snapping and multiple monitor task viewing.

For all of this idea of touch being forced on people, there are a number of significant desktop centric enhancements in Windows 10 compared to prior versions. Even the Start Menu in Threshold 2 now allows for jump lists in tiles. Even 7 couldn't handle an arbitrary number of short cuts with access to jump lists in Start.

Microsoft's whole mobile line is pretty thin in relation to market share, Surface or not. I'd just like to have the choice to run my OS purely as a desktop OS and not a cobbled combination of Desktop/touch OS, that's all.

And you are right, there are numerous advantages to the redesigned start menu that I think a number of Windows users are missing as a result of being stuck in the mindset of Windows 7.

One thing I do miss is Windows easy transfer, it made moving a users profile so easy in windows 7/8. Due to the fact that Windows 10 is still early days I haven't had a lot of experience in backing up and transferring profiles in Windows 10, however when I tried it on my own machine when fresh installing from Windows Enterprise to Windows Professional I couldn't seem to successfully copy the profile, even when logged in as another user.

Last edited:
You replied to me stating what you want.
I dont care what you want.
Try that larger font.

Regardless of what you or I care about the far more important question is what do over a billion other PC users care about.

That's the way it seem to be. Look Google is combining Chrome and Android. Hey at lease Apple isn't doing it. There keeping Mac OX separate from IOS.

You missed my point.

CSyo3khWIAAREfJ.jpg

Back