where to start e8400

Putz

I have a custom title
2FA
Joined
Jul 8, 2002
Messages
5,586
Just picked up an E8400 3.0 wolfdale and Asus P5K/EPU board

im still running OCZ pc800 ddr 2 gold edition memory (4x1gb)

where is the best place to start with overclocking? its been a long time since ive used an intel based system

duh forgot about cooling, im using a stock intel cooler from an older 775 cpu thats the thick copper based model, not the one thats half this size that shipped with the CPU, well vented antec 900 case
 
I just got an E8400 also a few weeks ago too. I my OC is 3.7 Ghz. CPU voltage is at 1.25 V. Put the FSB at 420. Used the 1:1 memory ratio. I have OCZ DDR2 memory also. Memory is running at 840 DDR2 with 5 5 5 18 timings. Had to bump RAM voltage up to 2.1 V. My goal is try to get my core up to 3.8 with FSB at 425. Maybe tweak the memory timings as well. I tried 425 FSB with 1.26 V, but it did not pass prime95. I already tested my FSB and RAM. I know they are good at 425. So, at this point I am CPU limited until I get some guts to bump my voltage some more.
 
got mine up to 3.6 right now without too many changes, im not looking to go crazy but some oc is always nice :)
 
3.6 @ 1.2v with TRUE on p5e vm hdmi, 4g gskill ddr2 1000 and ultimate x64.
 
Good luck!
I saw a guy running 4.5 @ 1.5v
I wouldn't go that high with my voltage on this processor.
 
Create different sets of test data. The three desirable speeds are 3.6ghz 3.8ghz, and 4.0+ghz. Try 3.6ghz first because it requires the smallest incremental change in voltage. Then do 3.8ghz by increasing at v0.03 increments. It's better to overshoot first and work down by dropping your vcore 0.01 afterwards. Do the same for 4.0ghz. Set your RAM at its most conservative or advertised configuration to reduce experimental variables. Overclocking is like playing Battleship except each turn takes an hour.
 
Got mine to 3.6 simply changing the FSB to go 1:1 with ram (ddr800). Left the voltage on auto and it seems to go from 1.2 to 1.23 during load.
 
Back
Top