Where to go besides monoprice when you need less than 1000ft of cable?

panfist

Gawd
The title says it all. I'm only going to need 300-500ft at the most. Everywhere I look to buy cable besides monoprice is literally twice as expensive, meaning that a 500ft roll is the same price as 1000ft from monoprice.

Um... what is wrong with Monoprice?

They only sell cable in 1000ft rolls...no less.

I can't imagine a situation where I would need the extra cable. I'm doing runs in the walls in my new house, and when those are done, I'll need stranded for patch cables, but certainly no more solid core. I'm even planning many extra runs that I won't use right away.

I guess I'll just use whatever I need and put the rest on craigslist or somethin'.

Last edited:
I bought a 1000ft roll of it and used what i needed an then a lot of my friends needed to make 100ft runs and so i sold the 100ft strands to them for like $10 and one of my friends payed me my full hourly rate for the cable and my time which really wasn't that big of a deal because i was helping out my friend. but i have at least made 1/2 to 2/3 of the money i spent on the roll back.

They only sell cable in 1000ft rolls...no less.

I can't imagine a situation where I would need the extra cable. I'm doing runs in the walls in my new house, and when those are done, I'll need stranded for patch cables, but certainly no more solid core. I'm even planning many extra runs that I won't use right away.

I guess I'll just use whatever I need and put the rest on craigslist or somethin'.

I use solid core for most of my patch cables too.

I use solid core for most of my patch cables too.

I was doing that for a while but I got sick of having cable failures crop up on a regular basis. Maybe I was just using the wrong connectors...

I did end up buying the 1000' foot roll from monoprice. The price per foot is just too good. Why would I buy 300ft for $40 when I can get 1000' for $80? I can give away or sell my left over cable.

where do you live? I have a few boxes of cable i'm done with... could part with for some change.

For the price of a 500ft roll of it from home depot you could get a 1000ft from monoprice. Might have to a little bit more depending on the type but you will walk away with a better deal. Thats the way i looked at it when i bought my 1000ft from monoprice

Yup, after thinking about it for a while I ended up buying 1000' from Monoprice. Monoprice is the fucking shit.

I remember in like 1998 when local news was all like

Brick and Mortar stores (make huge elaborate quote-marks in the air) are going to fail because of the internet! How will the economy ever adjust!?!?

But the co-existence of monoprice and basically everywhere else in the entire world that sells cables (monster cable, anyone?), adapters and what-have-you, is one more piece of proof that there is an astounding proportion of idiots out there.

Back