Where to get replacement pins for 4-pin molex's?

n64man120

2[H]4U
I was working on sleeving a PSU, and when I popped out a pin from a standard 4-Pin molex, the little piece of the pin that extrudes out normally got bent all the way back. When I carefully tried to bend it back with an exacto knife, it just fell off. Where can I get replacements? Its a brand new rig with a PCP&C PSU.

I came accross some places that have them, if you have any suggestions for my best bet let me know. How would I crimp these replacement pins onto the wire? Is it just a needlenose plier job? Some common basic sort of crimping tool I could get or may have lying in my basement? Or something rather specific, and expensive.

Thanks for the link. Any suggestions on crimpers? I can't tell if there's one there, since there in a separate section from the 4 pin stuff. Also, is there some secret I'm missing with the molex pin remover tool? It's driving me insane, maybe 1/6 just pops out and rest are giving me a very hard time. Clearly, I've even messed a few up working at them for so long. I think i've f'ed up 5 so far.

I just switched to using a tiny tiny screwdriver instead of the remover, and it's going fast and easy. Any suggestions on the molex remover? I used it on my old psu and don't remember it being this difficult.

Thanks alot, looks like decent prices if I have to get one. Several of the pins are missing the piece that keeps it locked in, but with the other pins in secure, and it tightly heatshrinked about 1/4" below the molex, they seem to be holding in anyways. If I start having problems though, I'll grab that stuff.

Looks good, thanks for the answer

they carry them at Radio Shack in-store. save the hassle of waiting for the mail if you've got the instant gratification bug.

last time i checked. pins are in the drawer with all the other small components. crimper is haning on the wall.

Sidewinder Computers
Search for 4malepins and 4femalepins.
Price ain't bad. ;)

I had no idea either, I first looked there thinking I could just pick up the tool from a local store but didn't know which one I needed (their site has never been very helpful). Since I couldn't figure it out I just ordered it from Jab-Tech and waited two days for delivery. :)

Alright maybe I'll get one. Is this just for those standard 4-Pin molex's? Or can it be used on pins for those 3pin fans and stuff as well?

You can crimp those 3 pin fan pins and stuff but it can be a pain in the ass. I usually end up crimping and soldering the smaller stuff to make sure the pins dont come undone from the wire.

For regular 4 pins on 18AWG wire its simple.

I dont know if the deluxe model makes it any easier with the smaller stuff.

DaRkF0g said:
Or if you want to go all out and get a PROFESSIONAL one.

Isn't that the same tool Jab-Tech is selling for $17ish?

I purchased mine from Jab and it works great. The only thing is if you try to crimp 18awg (standard 4pin molex connects) to 24awg fan wire it looks ghetto. Although once installed in the molex housing you can't see it. However, I am assuming this will be the case with any tool.

Btw, I have crimped over 30 of the smaller 3pin connects and have never found them loose in anyway. Actually I can't even pull them off after crimping if I tried. Solder is unecissary and a waste of time, IMO.

J-Mag said:
Isn't that the same tool Jab-Tech is selling for $17ish?

I purchased mine from Jab and it works great. The only thing is if you try to crimp 18awg (standard 4pin molex connects) to 24awg fan wire it looks ghetto. Although once installed in the molex housing you can't see it. However, I am assuming this will be the case with any tool.

Btw, I have crimped over 30 of the smaller 3pin connects and have never found them loose in anyway. Actually I can't even pull them off after crimping if I tried. Solder is unecissary and a waste of time, IMO.
Im not using the better of the 2 tools that I said above. Yes the cheaper one does a nice job at crimping, but it can also be the quality of the pins that I am crimping. The pins that I have gotten in the past have very soft metal so they fall apart easily(cheap pins).

If you do some research I am sure you can find a better price for that crimping tool, I know it is somewhat steep in price, but arent all quality tools expensive?

CrimandEvil said:
Yes it is and my 18 gauge crimps look fine.
So do mine, its the 22+ crimps that are giving me trouble. I am sure its the pins though, need to find another place to get pins to see if its the pins or my inability to correctly crimp :p

CrimandEvil said:
Yes it is and my 18 gauge crimps look fine.

You mean to tell me an 18awg pin on a 24awg wire looks fine?!?!?!? This just doesn't seem plausible unless you double up on the wire or something...

Show me a pic.

DaRkF0g said:
So do mine, its the 22+ crimps that are giving me trouble. I am sure its the pins though, need to find another place to get pins to see if its the pins or my inability to correctly crimp :p

I think it is your tool, because crimping a 24awg pin onto a 24awg wire is just as easy for me as it is to do the 18awg ones...

J-Mag said:
I think it is your tool, because crimping a 24awg pin onto a 24awg wire is just as easy for me as it is to do the 18awg ones...
What tool do you use? The deluxe on mentioned above?

DaRkF0g said:
What tool do you use? The deluxe on mentioned above?

Yeah I use the ratcheting kind that both Jabtech and Performance PC's sells (albet the Jabtech is alot cheaper)

Back