Where to buy a new 19" rack cabinet.. ?

arkaine

Limp Gawd
I need to buy a new free standing rack cabinet (42U). Now,
i was looking at the APC NetShelter 42U cabinet, but the
price is woha! around 7500$ when buying it in Norway.

Now, i can afford that - no problem - but i wonder if the
price is worth it at all. And i need the 42U space, because
i have lots of servers and a few switches and ups devices.

The rack will be placed in a public area (lan party) so
i must be able to lock it down, so that no one can psyically
access it. Must also be robust, and be able to take a beating
(unlike the last one that broke when it fell over, it was real
cheap though)..

So, any american shops around there that sell this kind of
equipment? And if you could choose, which one would you buy?

Thanks..

If you're handy you might consider building one. The rails themselves are cheap enough.

Heh, I wished you were in california so i could have sold you one of my netshelters (4 to 5 years old).

The only reason they were "retired" was that compaq/hp made a design change on their rails and it wouldn't fit on the older netshelters.

Originally posted by Darthkim
Heh, I wished you were in california so i could have sold you one of my netshelters (4 to 5 years old).

The only reason they were "retired" was that compaq/hp made a design change on their rails and it wouldn't fit on the older netshelters.

do you still have them? how many?

How much approx. does the dell poweredge 42u rack cost?

damn.. that rack is hotter than my girlfriend..

Originally posted by arkaine
How much approx. does the dell poweredge 42u rack cost?

damn.. that rack is hotter than my girlfriend..

We got ours for $800 (USD), but we got a HUGE discount...I want to say they are around $1300-$1400....

We got our Dell for 1100.00 and I thought that was a great deal. These racks smoke the Compaqs IMO

Hmm... I got my 42U cabinet for $10 from Uncle Sam. ;)

Just look around, a lot of businesses may be upgrading and retiring stuff. Also, ebay tends to have a lot of them, but you really need to wait for one in your area unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Originally posted by animeguru
Hmm... I got my 42U cabinet for $10 from Uncle Sam. ;)

Just look around, a lot of businesses may be upgrading and retiring stuff. Also, ebay tends to have a lot of them, but you really need to wait for one in your area unless you're a glutton for punishment.

If you've got the ability to buy military surplus, DRMO can be a goldmine for IT gear. Old RAM, networking gear, CD-ROMs, etc are constantly being turned in. Many of which are still in great condition. By and large most DoD systems come with CD-RW or DVD burners these days, most of which are never really utilized (unless they're a Comm person's workstation). And really, how can a rack go bad? Old and scratched? Perhaps. But is it still able to fulfill its duties as a networking rack? You bet.

Back