Where can I BUY Windows XP Professional/Home Media

i don't think so. theyre still on the cases. and the hard drives have been removed
Well, just so you know, it is illegal to sell a key that has already been activated, and judging by the fact that they are already on the emachines cases, i would say that they probably have already been activated at least once. If they turn up clean, though, you're gonna have a hard time finding just the disks. You might want to try ebay.

Well, here's the good news.

Most OEMs use a pre-made image that does not use the same key that's on the side of your tower. So, if they were never custom-reformatted, but rather always used the original recovery image, those keys likely were not actually used.

But, here's the bad news.
Those are OEM copies, and technically only are valid & legal with the original equipment. So, technically, they're not sellable. While some people have gone around this by offering a free CD & COA w/ purchase of hardware, it's a gray area (and typically not entirely kosher)

they don't say OEM on them though. why can't I sell them?

and people sell once-activated copies all the time. its legal once its been removed off the computer it was activated on.

they don't say OEM on them though. why can't I sell them?

and people sell once-activated copies all the time. its legal once its been removed off the computer it was activated on.
They are oem since the came from emachines. It would be very odd if emachines put a retail key instead of a oem key on the tower and, according to the OEM EULA, you may only use the key on the computer it was originally activated on (actually, to be more specific, the motherboard it was originally activated on). It doesn't matter if you remove the OS from the system, you can only use the key on ONE system, and that's it.

i guess i see where your coming from...

ok, so the emachines keys aside for now...

I also have another OEM key. it was not a sticker on a computer, it looks like this:
http://www.marvic.com/shopexd.asp?id=193
the back of it has a COA on it.

I tried using the key with my retail XP Home CD (i found it yesterday). it didn't work, and I think its because I need an XP OEM cd.
where can i get this? ^^^ I'd like to sell this key, since I have a retail one that works.

If you can get away with selling them, good. But if you put them up on ebay, amazon and possibly even craigslist, they will likely be taken down.

I would just give up on trying to sell the COAs. It is not legal for you to sell OEM keys without the original hardware it was installed on. Not unless you have a sealed, unused copy of XP Pro/Home with the COA sticker and CD and are also selling it along with a piece of applicable hardware.

Sell the whole boxes as is or go buy some cheap HDDs off eBay, rebuild em and then sell the whole computers. Much more legal that way.....

I would just give up on trying to sell the COAs. It is not legal for you to sell OEM keys without the original hardware it was installed on. Not unless you have a sealed, unused copy of XP Pro/Home with the COA sticker and CD and are also selling it along with a piece of applicable hardware.

Sell the whole boxes as is or go buy some cheap HDDs off eBay, rebuild em and then sell the whole computers. Much more legal that way.....

i would, except that the idiot sold them to me (all 3) with broken motherboards

my suggestion would be to find some replacement boards and HDDs and unload those pigs on eBay. If you get a replacement board of the exact same type then you can still use the COA legally. The OEM license does cover mobo hardware failure if it is replacement by the exact same mobo. Same manufacturer, chipset, etc.

well, see we tried that with Dell. the motherboard was shot, we tried to get a new one from them.

they wanted $214 for a new Socket 478 Motherboard....

of course they want $214 for a legacy motherboard, that is so you say screw it and buy a new system. Look on eBay. You can probably find what you need for $50 or less and some will give a 30-90 warranty on the board. Just enough time to make it work and then unload it. :)

According to Microsoft the an OEM key is tied to the motherboard, once the motherboard goes you are pretty much SOL. You can replace any other piece of hardware and the license will still be valid, however replacing the motherboard aka "Original Equipment" is against the terms of agreement that you agree to when you install and activate. Luckily Microsoft has no way of knowing whether the mobo is the same or not, so just get them up and running and sell them on ebay.

And if the COA has the Manufacturers name or symbol on it them it IS OEM.

According to Microsoft the an OEM key is tied to the motherboard, once the motherboard goes you are pretty much SOL.

I had an OEM copy of XP pro I purchased with a new system way back in the days of the P4 3ghz, and it stayed with me through 3 different AMD systems and my current intel 2140 build. Each time I called Microsoft, explained that my motherboard died and I had to replace it. They said it was no problem.

I had an OEM copy of XP pro I purchased with a new system way back in the days of the P4 3ghz, and it stayed with me through 3 different AMD systems and my current intel 2140 build. Each time I called Microsoft, explained that my motherboard died and I had to replace it. They said it was no problem.

You do realize, though, that was you are doing there is illegal, right?

Back