Whenever I open internet explorer, I get the windows installer "Preparing to install"

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
Topic says it all mostly. Running windows 2000, and I've done the spybot/adaware thing and came up clean.

I don't think its a virus, and really not sure whats going on. Every time I click on the internet explorer shortcut it starts 'windows installer' and says "Preparing to install". Then it goes away relatively quickly. Its annoying still though. Any ideas on this guys?

Are you the owner/admin of the computer? The reason I ask is because that has happened to me on my school network account...

Its actaully happening to a user of mine, but he is part of the administrators group. I also tried installing internet explorer since the last post, to no avail.

I solved this one finally :D. It turned out that I caused the problem. I pushed down a software package using Novell and I guess it hickuped the installed service. Doing a repair install on the software that I pushed down to the user repaired his software AND solved this problem.

Wierd that it affected I.E. like this though. But those novell packages can do wierd things.

Back