What's up with Vista & internet?

crawl39

n00b
Several days ago I did a fresh install of VIsta Ultimate and every thing appeared fine. All the programs seemed to work and all the hardware seemed peechy including the internet.
Today I tried to open firefox and it seemed like a dial up connection even though I have a cable modem. I read several things on the internet about this but it seems that there is no one who knows how to fix it. I updated the firmware for the dlink router and tried the netsh fix in the command line and also made sure the drivers were updated. I also turned off the phishing filters in explorer and Antivir antivirus
I am at a loss, is there a simple fix or not? Any help would be appreciated.

System Specs.

XFX 650i Ultra board
E6300 Core 2 Duo
2 Gig DDR2 800
MSI 7300 GT
320 & 120 Seagate HDD
Dlink DI-524 router
Cox Communications internet service
Vista Ultimate
Nvidia Dual TV tuner

Are there any drivers that you can try and update?

Do you have any computers you could use to rule out the router and modem as the problem?

Try downloading something big from Microsoft or running a speed test also.

Sorry out of town.
I finally broke down and called microsoft. They told me do uninstall zone alarm and uninstall my antivirus programs. It worked but how safe is vistas firewall and I dont feel comfortable about no antivirus program running.

lol .. quick to blame Vista and not revealing all software installed that is related to your problem .. that seems to be the norm tho unfortunately when peeps say they have problems no matter what the OS is...then others read your problem that don't really know anything and say "OH ..Vista is baaad!!"

Vista's built in firewall is pretty fair .. that in combo with a good virus scanner and spyware protection and stay away from the darker corners of the internet and you should be ok ..don't use a POP3 email account that you dl emails to your computer directly if you can help it as well ..

if you want to bump up security on your comp/home network ..maybe look into snaggen an older comp with a couple of nics in it and setup a linux distro on it of some kind .. (Smoothwall Express 3.0, IPCop, Endian , Untangle ..etc)

If your irresponsible in your surfing habits tho ..ain't much gonna help yuh :(

[F]old|[H]ard

If a Linux firewall isnt managable, a very good option is Comodo firewall installed on your PC.

Back