What's the typical lifespan of a SOHO type WiFi router? Has my router bit it?

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been using an Asus RT-AC66R for some time now. Been reputable and I keep the f/w up to date. I don't think I'm having issues with Comcast but wondering about my RT-AC66R. Suddenly no access to the internet via ethernet or WiFi. It's random and seems to happen during the day but I'm not sure. I have been thinking about replacing it and for my needs, this model seems(ed) to do well (would consider new brand/model and later 802.11**). This goes up to 802.11ac.

Are you sure that it's a router issue and not an internet issue? Do you still get internet if you hook one computer directly up to the modem?

I don't think that I've ever actually had a WiFi router or WiFi access point die on me simply due to age. That includes one that I currently have outside in a shack that has to cope with temperatures ranging from ~120F to ~20F. The closest to an actual failure was one I had where the power brick died, but I have a huge bin of power bricks so it took me 30 seconds to find another that was compatible. Of course that probably would have been game over for someone with fewer spare parts handy. I also had one that I bricked by using the wrong DD-WRT version, but that was my fault. Generally I end up retiring access points because they become obsolete. I have over a dozen 802.11G and 802.11B access points just sitting in a bin right now that worked all the way up until the day they were retired.

I would check at the modem before you point at the router.

Otherwise, ditto what GotNoRice said. :) I think I have that same bin of working older access points! :D

I have a Netgear CM1150V that I bought not quite a year ago (since I have dropped VoIP telephone service). One that is on the approved Comcast list of modems. The modem seems to be working fine and I have checked with Comcast a few times in the past week.

I've been seeing issues while working from home. Wonder if there is any chance this is a VPN issue? However, the issue isn't persistent.

I would run packetlosstest.com whenever you've having issues and see if there's some packet loss. There seems to be some packet loss on all connections at some point, and it may now be causing problems with wfh.

Back