Whats the purpose of the recovery dvd?

Before you guys think im stupid as hell, im in the process of backing up my new cpu and im doing the hp recovery cd/dvd creator. I noticed it stated that if my hd goes out on me, i need to create a recovery dvd. Which i am doing now. My question is what all information is on it? Is it just the basic xp os? Or is it all of my files (documents and settings) included? I have an external hd just for my documents and settings anyways, but i just want to be sure what all is on it. Also, if my hd does crash, then could i just buy another hd and just pop in the recovery cd and im good from there?

Charlie Hustle said:
im in the process of backing up my new cpu
I believe you're backing up your computer or your hard drive, not your cpu.

Charlie Hustle said:
My question is what all information is on it? Is it just the basic xp os? Or is it all of my files (documents and settings) included?
This may answer your question.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph08097

Charlie Hustle said:
Also, if my hd does crash, then could i just buy another hd and just pop in the recovery cd and im good from there?
I believe, yes

wow, thx. Thats all i needed to know. And so i just made my recovery dvd's, and i am in the processing of backing up my hd, to my external hd. And thx for clarifying the difference between backing up and creating a recovery disc.

Okay i have a better question. Whats so special about the system state? I know it has the register and so on, i know it states what hardware thats installed with the drivers, if im right, but what about the program files? Is that why i back up the c: drive also? So if i ever need to reboot, i will not have to reinstall all of my programs again? And what about the d: partition? do i need to back up that?
I just backed up my whole hd so be safe, but i was wondering is there things that really didnt need backup?

Back