Whats a good Unknown Device identifier?

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a free 939 mobo with no driver disk and only the I/O shield, though I would be able to find all the drivers on there website, but alas no such luck. Now I have a couple of unknown devices and improper working floppy drive in the device manage.

thanx

It says on the mobo A8N-SLI Deluxe.

Yeah and I tried downloading em all and installing em all and still unknown devices.

Open up Device Manager, double-click the Unknown device, and then click the Details tab on the box that pops up. You're looking for this info (this is my Intel PRO/1000 MT 10/100/1000 NIC, for example purposes):

pciinfovs2.png

The info you really need and can use is in that string of data:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_100E&SUBSYS_30138086&REV_02\4&1A671D0C&0&48F0

PCI VEN = 8086

and also:

PCI DEV = 100E

Those are the PCI Vendor and Device IDs, and that's roughly all you need to actually identify a component. Head over to www.pcidatabase.com and punch the Vendor ID into the Vendor search box, and then put the Device ID into the Device search box, and then press Enter or Return on your keyboard. That'll bring up the necessary device related identification info. Sometimes you'll get multiple listings, but you can typically figure out which one is exactly the hardware you have.

searchparameterscj7.png

searchresultsal4.png

Always handy info to have around meaning the methodology for tracking down the wascally hardware tidbits, especially if you can't find the FCC code on most hardware to do an FCC search either.

Hope this helps...

Install the Forceware drivers directly from nVidia for the nForce4 SLI chipset, that should take care of almost everything. Then go to Silicon Image and get 3114R drivers. It uses a TI 1394 controller and realtek ALC850 audio as well.

Thank you bbz_ghost, thats what I was looking for. Something that won't just help me in the present, but also in the future.

Also ND40oz, I'll try those as well.

Wow, dude a troll.

Uhmmm... where did that come from? He said he'll be able to use the info I provided, which is precisely what I understood him to say. You'd be surprised just how many people - even PC techs and geeks - have no idea that such a site exists (PCIDatabase.com) nor how to actually track down "Unidentified" components in their PCs...

I don't see any implication of anyone being a troll, except of course, your post.

I am so sorry man! I'm really tired and read something else. I'm keeping that unedited at a reminder being tired and behind the keyboard. I read something completely different and sarcastic at the open device manager bit.

No problem. :) Now that you mention it, I see how you could have interpreted my quote to what I said in a different way.

Wow. Awesome info, bbz_Ghost. I just loaded my system up fresh with a new motherboard, and I have an unknown device. I'm definitely going to give this a shot.

You'd be surprised just how many people - even PC techs and geeks - have no idea that such a site exists (PCIDatabase.com) nor how to actually track down "Unidentified" components in their PCs...

*raises hand*

I'm just such a person... thanks for the info.. that will certainly prove to be very useful information in the future...

Thanks man!

What happens if the only info my unknown device shows is:

ACPI\PNPB006
*PNPB006

I'm guessing that it stands for "plug and play bios"? But who knows... At any rate, my BIOS is the newest available for the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, and I'm running Vista 32 bit.

If anyone can help identify that, I'd appreciate it. :)

edit - I should've just googled it before making this thread, turns out that the device is: NVIDIA® nForce™ MIDI UART

What happens if the only info my unknown device shows is:

ACPI\PNPB006
*PNPB006
I'm using Vista at the moment, so the options may be different if you're on XP, but try either Hardware ID or Device Instance, and see if they give the numbers.

Hope this helps...

*applauds* This is why I love this place.

Another "trick" you can use is opening Device Manager, and selecting "view by connection" and see what the unknown device is hanging off, it'll help narrow it down.

Best unknown device IDers that I use at work are, System Information for Windows or alternatively a neat program entitled "Unknown Devices" (go figure) though I think development on it has stopped.

To use SIW you just expand the hardware section and click on PCI that will show you vendor and device information for all integrated and PCI devices on the motherboard.

SIW (get the standalone freeware): http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Damnit, this is all I got left now:

device.jpg

And the second ethernet port still won't show, I installed the Marvell!

Back