Whats A Good Router To Get???

zach2004

n00b
Im looking for a router to do some home networking. I dont really care about wirelees/wired, the computers are 20 feet from each other. I currently have road runner internet access.

Me and alot of others will recommend the Linksys WRT54G. Yeah, its got wireless but even if you don't use it, its a kick ass router for the price and who knows, you may end up wanting wireless sooner then you think.

IceWind said:
Me and alot of others will recommend the Linksys WRT54G. Yeah, its got wireless but even if you don't use it, its a kick ass router for the price and who knows, you may end up wanting wireless sooner then you think.
Yea I recommend that one too.

Or you could go for a Linksys BEFSX41 (Wired).

BEFSX41 offers alot more security then a wrt54g does..
If you big into security..

What about the D-Link routers? I was looking to get one of those but it looks like everyone is saying to go towards linksys.

The WRT54G kicks ass. You can upgrade the firmware and do just about anything with it, including boosting the signal strength a great deal. Pretty cheap, and a GREAT deal for the money, IMHO...

Linksys WRT54G or BEFSX41 just as the others recommended.

Some people swear by DLink, others swear by Linksys and some others will tell you that the best router is one you build yourself out of an old computer and <insert favorite linux firewall distribution here.> =)

Up until I took a chance and purchased my Linksys WRT54G I was not a fan of Linksys products at all, especially their NIC's, however after owning my WRT54G I can't say anything bad about it.

I have been using a D link series router for over a year now and have no complaints with it..

I am looking for a router also, what do you think about the Linksys WRT54G. What do you all think about the Speed Booster (Linksys WRT54GS or whatever) is it worth the extra 20 bucks... probably a stupid question. :/

Having installed numerous Linksys and D-link routers as well as Netgear Routers .... Stick with the Linksys or D-link routers.

HK` said:
I am looking for a router also, what do you think about the Linksys WRT54G. What do you all think about the Speed Booster (Linksys WRT54GS or whatever) is it worth the extra 20 bucks... probably a stupid question. :/

No, the speedbooster is basically a "Guinea pig Technology" Meaning thats its not sanctioned or qualified by the Wireless Association. The chipset makers for wireless routers *whichs theres only 2 major ones left* are basically doing trial and error on wireless chips to increase speeds and gain a rep over the competition. The only problem is that theses technologies are tested by the best guinea pigs around, the consumers. This results in routers, even of the same make and model that vary greatly in quality. One router will work pefect, the next won't work period.

Speedbooster tech also causes havoc for surrounding wireless points and causes havoc with stabile speeds and reliable connections.

In short, don't bother with speed enhanced routers, stick with the plain jane .11g spec and wait for .11n in 2006 for reliable speed increase

Thanks for the Quick reply, not many Residentally ISP going 54 Mbit down and 10 mbit up... yet... aye?

I guess thats in the not to distant future :p

/me bust out his debt card, -$60.50 from account + $60.50 for Zipzoomfly and its Free 2 day shipping.

HK` said:
Thanks for the Quick reply, not many Residentally ISP going 54 Mbit down and 10 mbit up... yet... aye?

I guess thats in the not to distant future :p

By the time youre capable of getting a WAN connection of 54mpbs, the wireless tech will be well beyond 100mpbs as is the specced speed of .11n in 2006.

Back