what XP services are required for NORTON 2006 & earthlink total access ?

T

troyquigley

i am working on a computer for a friend.
they only have 128mb or ram on xp home. they are using norton 2006 and dial-up earthlink total access.

i was trying to free up so ram by disabling a couple of services. and of course i disabled the wrong one. so i need to know what services are needed for norton 2006 and earthlink total access.

i get these error now when the computer boots up.

event id 1000 - application error - taskpanl.exe

earthlink total access has encountered a problem

rpc server unavailable

I think at that point, instead of messing with the OS internals, I'd have them spend a few bucks for a single 256 MB memory stick.

well norton i think needs dcom- the error you state comes from RPC it appears. Turn all the usual minimum ones on then try one by one. I keep most services turned off and have never ever had a problem with an app so you have really done a number on this os :D

djnes said:
I think at that point, instead of messing with the OS internals, I'd have them spend a few bucks for a single 256 MB memory stick.
considering this computer only uses RIMM memory - buying ram for it is useless. that ram is more expensive than it is worth.

Let me step back for a minute on this one and give you an analogy my grampa shared with me once.

"Boy, you can't mend a dead horse's broken leg."

The point being here is this PC is worth something with extra memory. Even if you get it back to working (fixing what you've broken) and find a few services to disable... the best you can MAYBE do is improve their available memory by 10%. Which even if it did get them working "just barely" isn't near as much as having a good 256 or 512 in it will do.

And for less than $100, you can't beat that.

If they just purchased NAV 2006, see if they can return it. Norton will cause more problems and headaches than it's worth. Then uninstall NAV 2006 and install AVG or Avast, or better yet have them buy NOD32.
Then uninstall the Earthlink software and manually setup the dial up connection. If you know the username and password you should be able to set it up. All you need to know is here.

Ideally you're going to want to add more memory. It will only take a few programs loading at startup to bring that system to it's knees and it will take forever to load. It's well worth the cost in a situation like that.

troyquigley said:
considering this computer only uses RIMM memory - buying ram for it is useless. that ram is more expensive than it is worth.
Unfortunately, a lot of people have run into this thanks to RamBUST memory, but to say it's not worth it is missing the target completely. To the owners, it would be WELL worth it to have a more usable computer for the fraction of the cost of a new one. Sometimes you have to put your foot down and tell people they need to spend some money to upgrade their computers. I know a lot of non-computer people don't get that, but you can't buy a computer off the shelf and expect it to work with all the new software over the next 5 to 6 years. Sometimes they need to be upgraded, and sometimes they need to be replaced. If they are still planning on running XP on that machine, the single most effective thing you can do is add more memory. Messing with services could leave them with more problems than before.

Back