What would you choose.. SMC wireless on sale vs wired router

rallytopaz

n00b
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10776&promoid=1001

That SMC wireless G router is on sale for $60 canadian... a pretty good deal I guess. I have never used SMC products... but ive heard they are good?

Anyways, my question is, should i pick up the SMC for $60, or should I go for a Dlink wired adsl/cable router for $50, because the distance between the 2 computers in the network is only a room away, on the same floor.

Its just a basic cable modem -> router -> 2 computers running XP sorta deal, and I'm not looking at it to do anything besides internet and a few games, so will the SMC be up to the task, and do it well? Should I spend another $50 on a better wireless router, in mind of future upgrades to the rest of the house, or just get the wired router?

Thanks, and sorry if its a bit of a newb post :eek:

Sorry, I havent used hardforums for at least a year and a half.

The link you posted is the same?

Also, I have a really really newb question (new to wireless networking). Im gonna put this router beside my cable modem, at my Computer #1. Computer #2 is like 15 feet away.

Computer #1 can plug a cat5 cable right into the router, because it is so close. However, for Computer #2, I need to buy a PCI 802.11g PCI NIC card, which costs like $100?

This is true right? That kinda makes the $60 wireless router a bittersweet purchase if I need to buy 1 (or 2) $100 wireless nic cards.

Back