What would be a good server for me?? (nOoB)

Tman

Gawd
Warning I am a nOoB :D

Ok I was just wondering if I was to buy or build a server for hosting either online games or lan games, what would you suggest I get? If i was going to use the server for online play UT2003, Ut2004, Halo, Call oF duty, and a few others. Also the number of players for those games would be below 20, nore like 10 to 15 really.

For lan games what woud you guys think would be my max player limit??

I really wouldnt like to go over $1,600 for one either

thanks guys

sorry for being such a noob :D

I wouldn't even bother with duals for something like that unless you plan on running all those servers at once on the same system.

dual athlon mp's are cheap enough that I'd go with that.

probably a limit around 32 on most games, but try it and see :D

Hell, just go to the forums at 2cpu.com and get a used dual p3 or two! (make sure they don't need registered ram or, if they do, to get some!)

ok, im gonna say it since no one else has. amd 64's! not sure of the price for dual MBs. there goes that idea :D

What are you going to be using for bandwidth? DSL Cable T1? Will it be hosted at the ISP?

Check your service providers contract, usually game servers are OK, but not web servers. (other ISP's like speakeasy let you host anything)

For the games you are listing you really do not need much. I have hosted a 10 player UT2k4 server with bots on a dual 450MHZ Xeon (with a gig of ram).

I would recommend a Dual board only because having one proc dedicated to a game and the other to the OS helps, and learn the dedicated server commands for each game.

The "bigger" a server you setup the more you could host on a LAN, but spend your money wisely, get a gig of RAM (or more if you want) in whatever you build, and use some decent hard drives.

==>Lazn

thanks man, that helped alot :)

right now I have DSL 3m service, but at my dads house there is a chance of getting a T1 because the local cable companys will not service me for some stupid reason along with 7 neighbors next to me and we may be able to get a line form someone elce. 3 of those neigbors use the internet alot and cuse Dial Up :( along with me. 1 sells stuff online for a living, other is a collage computer guy, and the last is my aunt who designs stuff for companys and etc.

but if i went out and built or bought a serve i should get:
duel pocessors (need help on what kind)
1-2g of ram
motherboard (like the processor i have NO IDEA)
~200 or more had space (but shold i go seral ata or IDE?)
powe supply (i was thinking about a 350wt or something)

if you could help me there, that would be great!!!!

im such a nOoB

Tman said:
thanks man, that helped alot :)

right now I have DSL 3m service, but at my dads house there is a chance of getting a T1 because the local cable companys will not service me for some stupid reason along with 7 neighbors next to me and we may be able to get a line form someone elce. 3 of those neigbors use the internet alot and cuse Dial Up :( along with me. 1 sells stuff online for a living, other is a collage computer guy, and the last is my aunt who designs stuff for companys and etc.

but if i went out and built or bought a serve i should get:
duel pocessors (need help on what kind)
1-2g of ram
motherboard (like the processor i have NO IDEA)
~200 or more had space (but shold i go seral ata or IDE?)
powe supply (i was thinking about a 350wt or something)

if you could help me there, that would be great!!!!

im such a nOoB

Well how much do you want to spend? If it is not hosting a company, yes building your own is best. (otherwise buy a Proliant in order to get their 4 hour service)

If you are on a budget go for a AMD Athlon MP dual.
If you have more to spend, you can choose betwen Intel P4 Xeon DPs and Opterons.
As for motherboard, depends on the CPU you choose, but get a major brand name one, like Asus, Tyan, Supermicro, Iwill etc.
SATA or IDE are basically the same thing, that will depend on the motherboard you choose. but I do recommend a Seagate for reliability reasons.
Power supply, get brand name, I can't stress this enough. Spend at least $90 on a good one.
And finally get a UPS for this beast.

==>Lazn

so would this server do internet sharing or just game serving? you could get a linksys/similar box to do the sharing, but it's a bit flaky for a big application like this...

if it's just game serving, I'd go with a 242-ish opteron system. serial ata, get 2 200 seagates and raid-1 'em.
mobo $235
memory $354
processor $223 (x2?)
hdd x 2 $246
ups $132

my suggestions. total 1190 + case + psu + video card + goodies. probably toward the upper end of your budget, but well worth it.

Back