What Wattage PS do I need?

chicabobo

n00b
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
15
I am building (not paying for, thankfully) a pc for my brother but I am not sure what watt power supply to use. Based on the many recommendations I am going with a Seasonic Brand power supply.

I don’t know if I should get the Seasonic 430W, 500W or 600W based on my hardware. Can anyone tell me what wattage I should get based on the new system below?

-AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
-Hitachi T7K250 160 GB HD x 2 in Raid
-DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR 939 MB
-Audigy ZS 7.1
-OCZ 1 GB Dual Channel PC4000 x 2
-eVGA GF 7800 GTX x 1
-Plextor PX-716-SA
 
Seasonic S12 series PSUs are rated at a 40C operating temperature, meaning that the amp figures provided are much closer to operating reality than many other PSUs. I have an S12-500 powering the rig in my sig, and it doesn't break a sweat. The fan stays at 800RPM regardless of the load.

The 430W would be capable of powering that rig, however the 430W unit does not come with a 6 pin PCI Express power connector :( The 500W and 600W come with two of each of those. I got my 500W S12 from case-mod.com for $105 + shipping (cheaper than the Egg). I ordered on Friday and received on Monday with USPS priority shipping, and that was from California to Indiana. I could not be happier, it's the best PSU I've ever owned or seen (including Antec True, Enermax, and OCZ.)
 
Thanks for the fast reply. =) Sounds like I will be going with the 500W version then. Glad I asked as I didnt realize the 430W version didnt have the PCI express power cable I need and I was about to get one.

I checked case-mod.com and its now 124.95 and not 105.00 anymore. ;-( I double checked HeatsinkFactory.com and they have them in stock for the same price plus their shipping is a little cheaper. =)

Thanks for the help!!
 
davidhammock200 said:
Since the mobo is SLI capable & the cost difference is low, get the S-12 600W for about $132. ;)

DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR 939 MB

Dave has this situation been sorted yet? I know what the problem is but has there been a new rev of the board so it won't be a possible issue for the OP?
 
Spectre said:
Dave has this situation been sorted yet? I know what the problem is but has there been a new rev of the board so it won't be a possible issue for the OP?
Not completly, but most S-12's seem to be working without problems,
as long as a few HDD's are there fot proper +5V load. ;)
 
Back
Top