What was your first overclock?

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
7,301
Just curious to see where people started...

Intel 486 25@40mhz
Don't remember details on the system.
 
acascianelli said:
Just curious to see where people started...

Intel 486 25@40mhz
Cosmac Elf...an 8 bit cpu with 256 bytes of ram. Not MBytes, or Kbytes...bytes. Pulled out the original 2.5 mhz crystal and bumped it up to 3.088 mhz...wheee!
 
my vid card from core 277 men speed 270 to 330/324(on a 9500 pro)

then my P4 from 2.8 to justa hair over 3.0
 
overclocked my g-card first..but for my cpu i got my 3500 to 2.7ghz on air with help from eclipse :)
 
Back in the day... 1993: i486DX2/50MHz overclocked to 65MHz.

I was so proud that I got a 50MHz chip to run almost as fast as a top line 66MHz chip.

That's where the addiction started... I then bought a 66MHz chip when the prices went down and overclocked it to 76Mhz or something like that. I loved knowing that I had a faster chip than what anybody could buy. (sorta like what I do now) :D

Back then, the magic overclocking board was made by Diamond Multimedia (can't remember the name of the board, but this was the only motherboard they ever made). They were actually THE first to make a BIOS changeable clock speed (I know Abit used to falsely claim this).

This was back in the time of AT not ATX, SIMMs not DIMMs, and VESA local bus not PCI-E.

Busta
 
Celeron 300A to 450 on an Abit BM6. It was foolproof.

I still have the motherboard running a PowerLeap 1.2G Tualatin and 768MB of RAM. My wife uses it every day and it makes a capable backup machine in case mine meets with disaster.
 
Too scared for a long wile... Didnt want to burn out my brand new Pentium 133.

When I finally overclocked, it was with an intel 1.8 "A" (400FSB, Soc478). Ran it stable @ 3.6Ghz. (800FSB). I think I got a luckey chip ;)

-Cameron
 
Apple Performa 6115.

PowerPC 60mhz to 84 mhz.

It came with a 'clock crystal' you clamped onto the PLL. Also, it came with a cooling fan to put onto the passive HSF.

It made the snow fall faster on my screensaver.
 
P2 400MHz --> 460MHz

P4 1600MHz --> 2200MHz

A64 3200+ 2000MHz --> 2500MHz

A64X2 4400+ 2200MHz --> 2640MHz

Opteron 170 2000MHz --> 2800MHz

:cool:
 
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ from 2GHz to 2.1 GHz w/ stock HSF.

It's now up to 2.4 GHz with stock cooling and runs 44*C on full load. :)
 
my first overclock....
dual celron 366mhz, overclocked to around 500mhz-ish on a abit bp6 board.....i wanna ressurect it though, its just sittin in an antistatic bag, but i have no real USE for it, and its loud as fuck with these wakass fans i got on em...dragon orb things...i dont even know where my original socket370 heatsink/fans are....

my 2nd overclock was my dads amd k6-2 300mhz to a whopping 350mhz :)

the rest is history, ive always overclocked all my cpu's :) except for my servers....i need stability
 
first oc was a packard bell pentium 166mmx oc'd to 200 (the only jumper option avaliable)


P3N1X0R said:
my first overclock....
dual celron 366mhz, overclocked to around 500mhz-ish on a abit bp6 board.....i wanna ressurect it though, its just sittin in an antistatic bag, but i have no real USE for it

the bp6 is an awsome board... still got mine running with dual 500's (i never had the bad cap problem)
 
pstang said:
the bp6 is an awsome board... still got mine running with dual 500's (i never had the bad cap problem)


ya know, i dont think i havce the bad cap problem....
in my haste one day replacing heatsinks i fucked something up, and the cpu fan pin header, it doesnt work for cpu 2.....on the board thing...no pwoer, so i have to have one hooked to my power supply, w/ a molex. sucks tho cuz that board is cool, i just need a case
 
I think my first OC was a AMD K6-2/300 @ 350, but my oldest CPU oc was a pentium 90@125MHz I built out of spare parts at work for a friend of mine. Desktop dell case too. :D

Since then, no CPU has been safe... I do still have my dual celery BP6 board with celeron 366s @ 550 in an antistatic bag, but I've got an AXP 1800+ for my server. Not overclocked because it's a palamino, and a TV recorder/media server box that is only run remotely... doesn't have a monitor or keyboard even connected, so I wouldn't know if it crashed until after I wanted to watch a TV show that didn't record. :rolleyes:

Current OC is in my sig.
 
my pentium 4 3.0ghz oced to 3.6 HIGHLY UNSTABLE! haha i loved those learning testing days. i kept it at 3.4 after testing.
 
Athlon Thunderbird 1.0Ghz @ 1.33Ghz
P4 Northwood 1.6A @ 2.4Ghz

My first chip was a Cyrix MII that said 300mhz when I bought the Compaq (I didn't know anything about computers) and it was stock 233, they had factory overclocked it.

that was a horrible chip.
 
The first time was an accident. I don't remember the chip exactly, but it was an early pentium. I set the FSB to 60 instead of 50, and ran for a couple days. When I finally saw the clockspeed on the bootscreen I was worried I was going to burn up my chip. I jumped on the internet(14.4), and looked up some stuff. After that I went and OCed my 486. It was faster than my new pentium after that, so I took the pentium back to the store until PII came out.
 
My last CPU, a 2.8GHz to a max stable of 3.3GHz. Now I'm on a 3.2GHz that I run at 3.6GHz 24/7 without breaking a sweat. I could easily hit 4GHz with good cooling but 3.6GHz is more than enough for what I need and the risk to my hardware isn't worth it to me.
 
First real overclock... Duron 600 the day they came out... pushed it to 1.2 stable on air.
 
386SX/25.. jumpered it to 33MHz with a Cyrix FasMath (they used to be the best out there) 387. Fastest box around for Doom. :)
 
I'll fill in the rest of my overclocks...

Intel 486 25@40
Cyrix 133@138
Intel Celeron 433@590
Intel Celeron 600@1035
Intel Celeron 1100@1250 Coppermine
Intel Celeron 1300@1600
Intel Pentium 3 2x550@618 Katmai's
Intel Pentium 4 2.4C@3.4
Intel Celeron D 2.4@3.8
 
K5 75MHz to 100MHz (by accident!) then a Pentium MMX 166 to 262MHz.

I was hooked at that point, but some memorable ones were:

The infamous Slot 1 Mendocino Celeron 300 @ 464MHz (air)
Slot 1 PIII Coppermine 600 @ 975MHz (52 watt pelt)
Slot A Athlon Thunderbird 700 @ 1011MHz (water)
Northwood 2.4C @ 3.5GHz (air)

A bunch of PIII's/Durons/Athlons/PIV's after that...those were the most fun though. (Not having much fun now :( )



Tom
 
It was some old 486 CPU... don't remember clock speeds lol... :p Well to be honest... maybe 8088 too... had to solder things on that one. That was ages ago.
 
An Athlon XP 2500+ @ ~2.145GHz. It could have went higher but I had crappy generic RAM that couldn't do it's rated speed (PC3200). This was on an Abit NF7-S rev.2
 
went on on cousin's computer b/c mines was a 6 year old compaq.... went into bios.. boosted his P4 2.24 to 2.26... works fine.. I felt confident......

SOoooooo I went one step up... boosted it to 220mhz or something i forgot...... computer crashed and couldnt turn on... LOL!!!

next day when I learned about resettings bios.. I did it to his computer.. which he took all apart trying to get to work again haha!
 
My first OC was a pentium 66mhz to 100mhz. Just added a fan and watched it go.
Then it was a K6-2, I overclocked that to 500 mhz, it was a 400mhz chip. After that I did a 550mhz K6-2 to 600mhz.

From there, I went with a PIII 600mhz. I only got that to about 650mhz before the stock heatsink wasn't enough. I couldn't fit a fan in unless I wanted to gut the Dell dimension XPS 600.

Then it was an Athlon 1ghz that I only took up to 1.2ghz. That was very HOT.

After that it was an Athlon XP 2500 to 3200 speeds.

That's all I'm posting for now.

I'll post more later.
 
My first OC is definitely my only one so far. S939 3500+ from 2.2 to 2.750 (somewhat stable). Edit: actually my first overclock was when I took the clock in my art room at school and moved it forward by 5 mintues :D a true overclock.
 
Back
Top