• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What to Upgrade?

ryken

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
3,106
So, my birthday is coming up, and my mom and fiancee are both bugging me about letting them know what I want. I think I want to upgrade my computer audio situation, but am not quite sure what to upgrade first. Should I go new headphones, soundcard, dac, speakers, amp, etc?

I mainly play games (fps, rpg, racing, and strategy). I have a htpc, so no movies or TV are watched through my desktop. Also, I listen to music some times, but it is all in lossy format, with no desire to take the time to put it into a lossless format. I am currently getting some hiss in the headphones, it would be nice to eliminate that.

Currently I have a Plantronics 350 Headset that I bought in a pinch a bit back. I run it through onboard sound. I also am running without speakers currently, which is driving the fiancee crazy.

The only thing I won't consider is anything more than a 2.0 speaker setup. I have a clean desk area, and don't like clutter

Budget = ~$150-250 total (can't be too greedy!)
 
Last edited:
After some basic logic/knowledge is thrown into the mix, it'll come down to personal preference - you'll get a few different responses on brands, powered monitors vs passive w/ receiver, etc

However, if I were in your place...

I would definitely go the Receiver + Bookshelf Speakers route. Simple, cost-effective, and future upgradable.

With ~ $200, I would pick up a recertified/refurbished receiver. I have purchased refurbished Denon Receivers from both eCost, and DakMart (Both of which are authorized Denon resellers) and I've been happy with both of those companies.

You can save a little bit of money by buying a Stereo Receiver instead of a 5.1 or 7.1
If you really can't see yourself ever using 5.1 for your computer audio (would be awesome for gaming - both FPS & Racing), then you should go with a Stereo receiver. Otherwise just get a 5/7.1 receiver and you can feel a little future-proof.

For speakers, I'd go with either the BestBuy Insignia bookshelf speakers (well known for their amazing sound quality from an unsuspecting brand and low price), or a pair from TheSpeakerCompany (tSc). Any pair off of that linked page should fit well, make sure you check the dimensions so you can get a good idea of how they'll sit on your desk. (or if you want to use small stands).
I would recommend the P6-PR's from tSc if you don't get a subwoofer as they will handle tones a bit lower than the others.

If your onboard sound has spdif (optical/coaxial) digital audio out, I would stick with that (and be sure to get a receiver with digital input - most cheaper stereo receivers dont and you'll need to get 5/7.1 receiver to have this).
If it doesn't, maybe upgrade your soundcard now or wait a little bit till you can float the extra cash. You'll need to get input from others for the soundcard though as I've only purchased one, as i've always used digital output from the motherboard when available. Depending on the motherboard though, it may not be worth it to immediately upgrade to a soundcard and could be postponed for a while.

Slap it all together with some cables/wires from MonoPrice, and you've got yourself a great sounding budget setup.

You mentioned you wanted nothing beyond 2.0, but what about 2.1? Interested in a subwoofer?

With a receiver/speaker setup, a subwoofer is optional but would be a nice addition.
Though you can go with the basics, and then if you ever decide you would like some more bass, toss a budget one in for a hundred bucks.


Let me know how well you think this fits your needs. Ping some ideas/questions off of us and we'll respond.


And again, this is what I would do. There is no right/wrong answer, only personal preference.
 
Pair of Swan 1080s, Swan 1050s, and Berhinger MS40s. 125-150
Grado SR60s, SR80s or ATH-700s, or similar, etc. 75ish
then when you scrounge up some extra money, get an Auzentech forte for 150 i think they are nowadays.

EDIT: Spellings
 
Ok, I really like the idea of the receiver and bookshelf speakers, but it's just going to be too big for my desk area and what the fiancee is going to allow. I think the soundcard/headphones will work better, not so much in the price category, but in the size of expansion.

I've decided on the JVC HA-RX700's based on price and other reviews I've read.

I should also note, I only game through the headphones. I don't like gaming on speakers.

How much of an improvement will the soundcard give me? Is it both sound quality and positioning? Or just one? What do you guys recommend for sound cards? The forte seems very nice, but it comes with a price. I'd like something that drives the HARX700's to their fullest ability, while also giving good positioning when play first person shooters. I can tell good sound from bad, but I prefer the best value, not just the best product that is also the most expensive.

In less words, what is the soundcard equivalent to the JVC HA-RX700?
 
The auzentech forte is widely considered the best bang for your buck sound card around.
 
Back
Top