What To Pick: ASUS N66U, N56U, E4200 v2, N900, N700, DIR-825?

wasabipeas

Gawd
I just upgraded to Cox Ultimate internet which is 60Mbps/6Mbps and Cox gave me a free router and cable modem. My modem is a Cisco DPC3010 and my router is a DIR-615. The router is a really cheap one and I am not happy with it's performance and I want to upgrade. I don't have any sophisticated networking requirements as I only have one PC which is wired to the router and I have a netbook that I use wirelessly. I also have a PS3 and Xbox 360 which I also keep wired to the router. I want a router that will give me the most from my fast 60Mbps connection and I don't know what is a good one to meet my requirements. So far I have been considering the Cisco E4200 v2, NetGear N900, N750, N600(WNDR3700), ASUS N56U, ASUS N66U and the D-Link DIR-825. What would you guys pick and why? Thanks for the help!

FYI: Sorry for putting this thread in this section but I thought it would get more responses and quicker responses (I plan on buying something today) than if I posted it in the Router Recommendations thread.

-The WNDR line is fantastic.
-E4200 sucks... Or at least several firmware versions have sucked. Not sure how they are now.
-I've heard good things about the ASUS models.

Given you list either the Cisco E4200 V2, Asus N66U (don't upgrade the firmware for now)

The DIR-825 is a gimped DIR-855.

Most N600's are WNDR3700 v3 which sucks since the v3 was released. IF you can get a V2 or a V1 that would be an better option, just stay away from v3.

-The WNDR line is fantastic.
-E4200 sucks... Or at least several firmware versions have sucked. Not sure how they are now.
-I've heard good things about the ASUS models.

Early E4200 firmware was horrid. They've resolved most of those original issues.

What you want is Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H (Dual band, Gigabit) > Netgear WNDR3800 (Dual band, Gigabit) > Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 (2.4Ghz, Gigabit) > TP-Link TL-WR2543ND (2,4Ghz or 5Ghz, Fast Ethernet).
//Danne

Thanks for the responses...I've decided to get the Asus N66U. I like the graphical interface for the router menu settings plus it's the newest model and it's got some good reviews too. There wasn't much difference between the Netgear models (for the most part) and the N900 was more expensive than the 66U. The Cisco has quite a few negative reviews and, apparently, some buggy firmware releases.

I have the RTN66U by Asus. Its a monster of a little WAP, well that is what I use it for. I used it for a router for a few days and it works really well. But that was just playing with it. I went back to my Cisco 1921 ISR G2 for routing and made the Asus a WAP.

Put it this way. I would use one firmware short of the newest out on the Asus site. I have tried Tomato, DDWRT, etc.. all are unstable and bugged. The best firmware you can use right now in my opinion is the factory load.

Good luck. The WNDR series is really nice too. Check your PM.

Back