What to look for when buying a Wii used?

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
I know nothing about consoles because I'd rather play games on my PC. My daughter has been saving her money and wants to get a Wii though. There are several options between Craigslist and Ebay though and I wanted to ask what the differences between some of them are.
Are the different colors basically the same or do they have some differences? Would getting one of the Red/Black/ect.. ones means that it is newer? or would that really be that important with a Wii? I've looked online some and found that there are a few different versions. Would some versions be better than others? Should some be avoided? Any information would be helpful. My daughter has been saving up her money for some time now and I don't want her to buy a lemon. Thanks

I know nothing about consoles because I'd rather play games on my PC. My daughter has been saving her money and wants to get a Wii though. There are several options between Craigslist and Ebay though and I wanted to ask what the differences between some of them are.
Are the different colors basically the same or do they have some differences? Would getting one of the Red/Black/ect.. ones means that it is newer? or would that really be that important with a Wii? I've looked online some and found that there are a few different versions. Would some versions be better than others? Should some be avoided? Any information would be helpful. My daughter has been saving up her money for some time now and I don't want her to buy a lemon. Thanks

The biggest change is that the newer Wii consoles no longer support Game Cube titles. The newer Wii console removed support for this by removing the controller and memory card ports. Another small change is the Wii remote itself. Depending on the games she would like to play some require this feature. Newer Wii remotes support a feature called Wii Motion Plus. You can spot this by looking at the Wii remote itself and the words "Wii MotionPlus INSIDE" is label on the bottom of the controller. Newer consoles come with this bundled inside. While older Wii remotes need an adapter to add Motion Plus.

For the most part just about any Wii should do the trick if she is only looking to play Wii games. Most sellers tend to supply what you need but a small check list for the console would be:

Wii console
Power plug
sensor bar
Wii remote and Nunchuk.
Console stand (Older units came with them to place the console upright) not a necessity though.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was able to find some lightly used ones from Cowboom the other day so ordered one. They had a 30 day return policy so figured it was safe. I noticed it did have the Wii MotionPlus remote so I think I should be good. Thanks for the help

Probably not going to do it, but after some looking up stuff on the Wii, are some easier to hack than others? Not going to risk it at the moment,but might be something fun to play around with when she out grows it in a year or two. Thanks

In general they're not particularly hard to hack from my experience. once you hack it/set up homebrew channel, you can install pimp my wii and it handles nearly everything for you.

Back