What To Do?

theseeker

2[H]4U
I am about to swap out my 7800's for a pair of 8800's and I started thinking about making an entire system change. I am currently running dual Opty 254's with a Tyan MB.
I have been to busy lately to keep up with all the changes. I would appreciate some input on possible system changes/upgrades. Thanks.

uOpt said:
So what are you doing with your computer?

I do a little bit of everything with it, CAD, gaming, photoshop and a lot of very large spreadsheets.

well if you were to do a full system upgrade, regradless of platform choice you would need new ram.

The 'quad father' does look very atractive getting a pair of 2.6 dual core smp chips for $599 is damn atractive. so 4gb of decent ddr2 ram lets place at around $600, two chips at $600~1000 plus $300 for a new mobo. so $1500~1900 for a quad father setup.

On the intel side of things the quad chips are dang expensive at the time of writing this a qx6700 at newegg is a mind blowing $1699.99 + 200(mobo) + 600(4gb ram) = $2500 eek.

or you could pick up 2 285's for a price just shy of that for four fx70's, $1100. this prolly wont help you much other than in CAD as your already clocked at 2.6.

There are going to be pro's to upgrading to socket F, a promissed upgrade path to Barcelona. Im wondering about the fuctionality of the barcelona chips in these first gen 4x4 boards. does socket F have split voltage planes? as am2+ is spose to have to fully suport Barcelona. Also you are gonna get some damn nice chipset cooling options on these boards unlike the K8WE and H8DCE. Not to forget the ability to use unbuffered ram with an opteron :). The sucky part realy is that there is only one board so far, with only 4!!! dimm slots. Its probaly best to wait on the 4x4 front atleast untill a few more mobo's show up.

I duno dude. I would probaly wait a bit for the dust to settle around kentsfeild and 4x4 before profering an upgrade.

~VirtBlue

Back