• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What size UPS should I get?

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 4, 2003
Messages
2,512
I've got a new system built, and am not sure what size UPS I need to safely back my parts.


Computer:
---------------------------------
AMD 64 X2 3800+
Asus A8N-SLi Premium
7800GTX
4x 512MB HyperX PC4000
2x DVD-RW
3x 7200rpm SATA drives
Antec NeoPower 480w

Monitors:
------------------------------------
2x Dell 2005fpw


Speakers
------------------------------------
Logitech X-530


Any suggestions are appreciated.
 
SocceRich20 said:
I've got a new system built, and am not sure what size UPS I need to safely back my parts.


Computer:
---------------------------------
AMD 64 X2 3800+
Asus A8N-SLi Premium
7800GTX
4x 512MB HyperX PC4000
2x DVD-RW
3x 7200rpm SATA drives
Antec NeoPower 480w

Monitors:
------------------------------------
2x Dell 2005fpw


Speakers
------------------------------------
Logitech X-530


Any suggestions are appreciated.
APC UPS Calculator: http://apc.com/tools/ups_selector/i...basic&cgi_referer_check=&return_query_string=
 
Of course I've tried that already. It isn't even close to accurate. It doesn't even have components from two years ago, let alone modern things.
 
I'd use something rated for no less than 700VA / 500W for that setup. I don't know how much those LCDs draw, though, so my estimate could be off.
 
This is just me, but are you seriously proposing to plug your speakers into a UPS? I mean, if your power goes down, aren't you just worried about exiting programs and saving data before shutting down the system? In fact, depending on how you use your monitors, you might not need to plug in both to the UPS (if you have a 2 monitor wide desktop, though, you'll probably have to).

Think about what you really need to have plugged into the UPS. Your box, monitors, and probably nothing else. Speakers, printers, router, DSL or Cable modem, etc, do not need to be part of your UPS setup.

I'm hoping you just listed the speakers by accident, but I's seen so many dumb things that people do that I try not to indulge in wishful thinking. Leave the speakers out.
 
Well, how close can you cut it? Can you run 295W on a 300W UPS? Or will you always be annoyed by a beeping sound?
 
Back
Top