What should I do with my SMP rig?

Joni Nitro

Gawd
So are couple of years ago I wanted to play with a SMP rig. I ended up building a decent little media server, but now it is getting dated. I am not sure if I should part the whole thing out and start from scratch, or should I just rebuild the system with some larger hard drives and use it until it dies.

System Specs:
Antec P180
Vantec 520W Psu
Tyan Tiger MPX
2x Athlon MP 2600's
3gb PC2700 ECC Ram
6x Samsung 250gb Sata in Raid 5
Highpoint 2220 PCI-X Raid Controller
300gb Mator IDE drive for OS
GF 5200 Agp gfx card

So I use this system for browsing, downloading, transcode 360, streaming media through the house. Nothing HD as of yet, but I have found anthing it cant keep up with. My other rig is much more powerful and I use it for everything else.

If I parted this rig out I just dont think I would get much. I have thought about changing a few things. Upgrade my PSU, sell my HDs and replace with 4-1Tb drives. If I do keep this system I think I might try to find some socket A waterblocks and liquid the whole rig silently.

100_1188.jpg

Donate it to a museum?

Sorry don't take that the wrong way but it really inst worth the time or money to update and water cool it.

You could get a C2D system that would out perform it., use less power and be just as silent on air as that system on water.

Granted there are still people who don't realizes this and think SMP is so cool so you might be able to get some cash for it but even so I don't think you will get much today for it. I sold a dual 1ghz P3 I had about a year ago for $100 and I felt I was really lucky to get even that for it.

I got rid of my Dual 3200 Mobile Barton setup 6 months ago, I think I got $150 on eBay for the 2 cpus, heatsinks, the MSI K7D-Master L and 512mb of ram.

You could stick ESXi on it, it's a good way to learn it if you aren't familiar with it. Though I don't know if ESX supports your highpoint raid controller, but ESXi is free so it wouldn't be to hard to figure out. This is what I have done with my old Athlon MP 2400+ server since it has set idle for a long time.

So are couple of years ago I wanted to play with a SMP rig. I ended up building a decent little media server, but now it is getting dated. I am not sure if I should part the whole thing out and start from scratch, or should I just rebuild the system with some larger hard drives and use it until it dies.

System Specs:
Antec P180
Vantec 520W Psu
Tyan Tiger MPX
2x Athlon MP 2600's
3gb PC2700 ECC Ram
6x Samsung 250gb Sata in Raid 5
Highpoint 2220 PCI-X Raid Controller
300gb Mator IDE drive for OS
GF 5200 Agp gfx card

So I use this system for browsing, downloading, transcode 360, streaming media through the house. Nothing HD as of yet, but I have found anthing it cant keep up with. My other rig is much more powerful and I use it for everything else.

If I parted this rig out I just dont think I would get much. I have thought about changing a few things. Upgrade my PSU, sell my HDs and replace with 4-1Tb drives. If I do keep this system I think I might try to find some socket A waterblocks and liquid the whole rig silently.

Sexy, I miss the old MPX I had. I got rid of years ago but when I see pics like that I miss it a whole bunch and wish I had kept it.

Thing is, you could sell it some where in parts and at least make some money on it. Even if you parted it in groups like sell 4 of the HD together in one go. If think it's time to retire it, no point ding anything else. Money is money, even if you only make 200 dollars on the sale of it all.

I have a for sale thread open, had some nibbles but nothing serious. If I can sell it I may just keep it. I was working fine for what I was doing with it. As a media server and folder. It wasnt fast for much else, but that what I have my q6600 rig for.

I have basically been having a difficult time selling my dual 940 (854's) 2.8Ghz opteron setup with 4 gb of ram for $300. Given the fact it has dual pci-e 16x that's a pitty.

I have even thrown in a 72G scsi setup with card and no dice yet???

E-bay may be the way to go for both of us.

Back