What should I do with my old Kryotech Unit?!

Krazy_Joe

Limp Gawd
About 4 years ago I purchased a kryotech G system that overclocked a 500 mhz cpu to 800 mhz lol. anyways... this sucker has a great cooling unit on it but unfortunately it is for AMD Athlon Slot 1 processors *BAH* I was looking at this page (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fr.../ex-vap-07.html) and instantly wondered if i could cut the hose of the kryotech unit and fit it to this some way. Any ideas on what I could do... this unit is bad ass and i would love to use it on a new AMD FX-55 when I upgrade later this year What a beast it would be. The unit cools down to -40 C which also raises another question I have, when I turn the unit on... it kinda gurgles, like the coolant is low... also i noticed it doesnt get as cold as it use to. Any ideas? Does anyone know of any web pages where someone modded an old kryotech unit? Please let me know!

I think you will have to take the current adapter apart and check the form and shape of the cold plate in your set-up. I'm pretty sure you will be able to build an adapter to reuse the system, might require some machining, but nothing fancy. You basically need a retaining mechanism and insulation to prevent condensation.
Regarding the freon refill, probably any refrigeration repair service should be able to service your kit.

You cant just cut it off. You would have to empty the system of refrigerant and braze the new evap on than re charge the system. And the noise is from liquid freon returning to the compressor which is bad for it. You are going to have to recharge the system.

ok, i took the thing apart, the casing seems to be just plastic with grooves for the slot 1 processor and a rubber seal followed by a insulated wire (gray) that runs around the outer perimeter of the casing (im guessing this is the evaporator?)... ill have pictures posted soon... the cooling block is rectangular... so im guessing im going to need a new block that will work with the Socket A rather than the old Slot 1 K7... does anyone have a clue where I can find custom blocks? I would really like one like Asetek uses... the copper circular block. I wonder if a refrigerator repair shop could do this for me since im clueless about phase change systems.

Also, how plyable is the copper tubing? Im bending the hose around and im kind of worried it might snap.

Modding that Kyrotech unit is going to require some serious work, tools, and know how, judging by your posts you don't know much about phase change cooling and don't have the equipment to do it and if I were you I'd stop messing with it now and just buy the necessary parts (all you'd really need to make it fit on current processors is a Baker block and a custom hold down which you would have to make yourself I think), take it to a HVAC or refridgeration expert and let them do the work.

Otherwise you'll just end up hurting yourself and ruining your Kyrotech.

mesyn191 said:
Modding that Kyrotech unit is going to require some serious work, tools, and know how, judging by your posts you don't know much about phase change cooling and don't have the equipment to do it and if I were you I'd stop messing with it now and just buy the necessary parts (all you'd really need to make it fit on current processors is a Baker block and a custom hold down which you would have to make yourself I think), take it to a HVAC or refridgeration expert and let them do the work.

Otherwise you'll just end up hurting yourself and ruining your Kyrotech.

Your absolutely right, i know nothing about this... lol... but I had no intentions of doing anything major with out the help of a professional... I just want some ideas of what I can do, and what I can tell the refrigerator repair guys to do... they dont know anything about using it to cool a computer... one guy thought the idea of using a fridge with a computer was hilarious. If you know about kryotech units i would love to know more about them... I took the casing around the processor off and their is a insulated wire that runs from the outside and wraps around the perimeter of the processor casing... It connects down in the kryo unit via a 2 pin connector. I was wondering if this is some sort of heating element? Also, if it is a heating element I guess I could use the heating element that Asetek uses... it looks like it is using a 2 pin connector. Anyone know?

z3r0- said:
You cant just cut it off. You would have to empty the system of refrigerant and braze the new evap on than re charge the system. And the noise is from liquid freon returning to the compressor which is bad for it. You are going to have to recharge the system.

sorry for the threadjack, but my (fairly old) minifridge makes the same noise, how would i go about fixing this, and how much of an issue is this?

Well, I have started the project... im taking pictures to post for anyone else that might have a kryotech and is interested in using it with a different processor. Right now I am working on the encasement around the cold plate which im using acrylic over foam and dielectric grease to hold down the cold plate and provide a air tight seal... im making a encasement to go around that with fiberglass

Depending where the "gurgling" came from, it's not necessarily bad. Often you will here that kind of noise from the evaporator as the refridgerant cycles through it, especially right after you turn it off. If the compressor makes a popping sound, that's very bad, it means you have liquid refrigerant going into the compressor.

As far as the kryotech goes, I've never messed with one of those units. Be aware that the difference in heat load between a 500 MHz processor (what it was designed for) and an AMD FX-55 is huge. The kryotech unit will probably not work nearly as well on the new processor.
You want custom phase change evaporator blocks?

http://www.xtwerkz.com/baker_cpu_blocks.htm

Rig a way to get the cold plate on a video card. Start saving for a newer vapcooler for a cpu. That would be a nice setup. Costs too much to get it raedy for the new cpus and using it on a vc would be perfect and cost next to nothing.

Actually... this cooling unit is ample... The temp never falls below -33C and when not under load it cools to -47c and the first K7's ran hot... so I think it will be just fine. :) Plus I dont have 800 + to burn on a new unit and I would rather not waste the kryotech. Even if the heat load is more... it still beats conventional air cooling

Jonsey said:
Depending where the "gurgling" came from, it's not necessarily bad. Often you will here that kind of noise from the evaporator as the refridgerant cycles through it, especially right after you turn it off. If the compressor makes a popping sound, that's very bad, it means you have liquid refrigerant going into the compressor.

As far as the kryotech goes, I've never messed with one of those units. Be aware that the difference in heat load between a 500 MHz processor (what it was designed for) and an AMD FX-55 is huge. The kryotech unit will probably not work nearly as well on the new processor.
You want custom phase change evaporator blocks?

http://www.xtwerkz.com/baker_cpu_blocks.htm

The gurgling sound only happens occationally. It happens when I power up the system... especially if I have left the unit on all day the day before. Im thinking the coolant may just be low... I just got to get my lazy ass to the repair shop. I dont think i need a custom evaporator block... the one on it is just fine, all it needs is a way to clip down on the processor which i have already figured out. That with a little artic silver and im in business :D

your welcome, there are a few very serious HVAC professionals there
helping out the phase change n00bs
they are quite excited about the "new" application of their trade ;)

Ive been tempted to buy Gary's T.E.C.H. Method Training Series
and will likely have to, when my project progresses that far and I aquire the tools I'll need

Good Luck ;)

Also, the cold plate will not be directly attached to the fiberglass. Its purpose is just and inclosure around the socket which will have foam insulation inside. The idea is from the vaporchill, mach I & II, etc which has plastic encasement with insulation foam around the cold plates.
Here is a diagram for your viewing pleasure:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!FIBER GLASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
!!!- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -!!!
!!!- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -!!!
!!!- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - insulation foam 2-3" thick
!!!- - - - - - - - - - ================= - - - - - - - - - - - -!!!
!!!- - - - - - - - - - ======cold plate==== - - - - - - - - - - - -!!!
!!!- - - - -- - - - - -______processor_____ - - - - - - - - - - - - !!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++Motherboard
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - insulation foam

and the motherboard will be coated with dielectric grease as well as the socket

Krazy_Joe said:
and the motherboard will be coated with dielectric grease as well as the socket

damn fine ASCI Art there :D

Chemicals of OC'n and Insulating your Rig
page 2 Conformal Coatings ;)

note the Acetic Acid Silicone cautions, this was a point of great debate for quite awhile
some using it without issue other swearing it was extremely dangerous
the issue finally resolved more or less to,
under no circumstances use an acetic acid based silicone sealant where any off gasing can be trapped,
and that if properly vented it can be employed, the actual risk being unknown but empirically pretty low

Actually... this cooling unit is ample... The temp never falls below -33C and when not under load it cools to -47c and the first K7's ran hot... so I think it will be just fine. Plus I dont have 800 + to burn on a new unit and I would rather not waste the kryotech. Even if the heat load is more... it still beats conventional air cooling

Cooling capacity on these units is usually regulated by the length and diameter of a capillary tube. Contrary to what you might think, more refrigerent flow is not always better. You want to the low pressure side to be as low as possible, and you do that by making the capillary tube more restrictive. Sizing a capillary tube is a delicate balance between getting the lowest possible temps and cooling capacity. Too restrictive means not enough refrigerent and warm temps. Too unrestrictive means too much refridgerent and temps that arn't cold enough.

Why am I telling you this? Because direct-die coolers have to be sized to the wattage they are cooling. I would be willing to bet your Krytech has a very restrictive cap. tube, which is part of the reason it could get to -40c in the first place. Put that on a modern chip, and it will be overwhelmed.

Once you exceed the cooling capacity of the unit, temps usually tend to climb fast. It's not a linear process. You can't say "my old processor was at -40c, my new one will be at -10c."

I'm not saying it won't work, just be very careful and watch your temps. If I were you, I would find out what compressor you have, what refridgerent you're using, and when you take the unit into the A/C place, have them replace the cap tube with a properly sized one while they are servicing it.

Based on this page: http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

your old K7 was putting out 42 watts stock. I don't know what your vcore was when you overclocked to 800 MHz, but at 1.8 volts, you're looking at around 80 watts. At stock, I think an AMD FX-55 is putting out over 100 watts. Doing any overclocking will quickly get you closer to 150 watts. That's close to twice the heat your K7 put out overclocked, and almost 4 times the heat when it was stock.

(For reference, my 3.0C at 4.0 with 1.7v does about 160 watts)

Keep us posted on how that unit performs on a new processor.

Jonsey said:
Based on this page: http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html

your old K7 was putting out 42 watts stock. I don't know what your vcore was when you overclocked to 800 MHz, but at 1.8 volts, you're looking at around 80 watts. At stock, I think an AMD FX-55 is putting out over 100 watts. Doing any overclocking will quickly get you closer to 150 watts. That's close to twice the heat your K7 put out overclocked, and almost 4 times the heat when it was stock.

(For reference, my 3.0C at 4.0 with 1.7v does about 160 watts)

Keep us posted on how that unit performs on a new processor.

thanks for the links bro, i guess the best thing to do is to tell you what type of compressor and refrigerant im using. All I know is that its using a Danfoss compressor w/ R134a i believe. Im going to try this thing out on my Tbird 1.1 ghz and see how far I can push it before I get a new computer. According to your site it runs around 110watts overclocked to 1900 so perhaps the kryotech is more suited for my Tbird :eek:

I got time to spare since the FX 55 isnt out yet. Also... if they end up using the 90nm fab the FX should run cooler correct? Im not going to get the FX55 unless its using 90nm... if not I'll wait till FX-57
Also, Im not so bent on hardcore overclocking... I like the fact that cooler processors run more stable... so if the temp runs around 0 C ill be more than happy, even if its only overclocked 100mhz :p Still beats a noisy heatsink fan combo

Thank you all for your ideas on my project! :)
PS: ASCI images do rock dont they, lol ;)

How were you measuring temps when you got between -30 and -40c? It is very difficult to get a R-134a machine that cold. Are you sure it's not R-22 or some other gas?

Jonsey said:
How were you measuring temps when you got between -30 and -40c? It is very difficult to get a R-134a machine that cold. Are you sure it's not R-22 or some other gas?

off the kryosensor on the coldplate It might not be R134a, actually i think that might be on the kryotech renagade. Im at work now, so when I go home i'll take a look. I was wondering if i could use a peltier with the kryotech unit?! They have a peltier w/ waterblock, why not have a peltier w/ phase change?! :D

I don't know about the Kryotech, but on some of the newer commercial coolers (Mach II) the temp sensor displayed temps much lower than they actually were. I asked because the boiling point of R-134a is generally too high to get that low of an evaporator temp. You need to go to R-22 or a better gas to get into the -40's.
I don't know much about TEC's, but just remember that you have to remove the heat of the peltier and the CPU, that might be too much for your Kryotech. Also a peltier that handles 100 watts would be pretty expensive, right?

looking at some old reviews of kryotech... the processor is a 600 k7 @ 1.6V overclocked to 800mhz @1.85V = 90 Watts. My 1.1ghz @ 1.75 tbird runs at 60watts and if I overclock to 1800 or 1900 @ 1.85 it should put out 109 - 115 watts. Im guessing that instead of running at -33C it will drop to about -10C to 10C which is still pretty good. Also that is if I have to up the voltage. It will be interesting to see how far I can overclock it. I should be able to get at least 600 more mhz out of her :D

Jonsey:
Also, I was looking on some forums and one guy said its running on R404A

Sounds like you're good to go then!
BTW, I wouldn't open that thing up if it has 404a, that's much more expensive gas to refill.

FYI IIRC no A64 or FX exceeds 89w TDP, the 89w figure is the max TDP for the whole line BTW so I think you'll be OK WRT to heat just don't expect to get -30C temps, more like -10C or so if you're going to overclock a FX.

Back