What Ports Are Open?

Sayth

Gawd
I'm living at rez and we have wireless internet, the router is in our room, but I don't know how to access it... is there any way I can find out what pports are open? I just want it to program into my uhh.. msn.. and uhh online games... ? any ideas?

Sayth said:
I'm living at rez and we have wireless internet, the router is in our room, but I don't know how to access it... is there any way I can find out what pports are open? I just want it to program into my uhh.. msn.. and uhh online games... ? any ideas?

If it isn't your wireless router, you shouldn't be accessing it. Ask the IT admins there at college.

SJConsultant said:
If it isn't your wireless router, you shouldn't be accessing it. Ask the IT admins there at college.

Quoted for truth.

If you want to know how to do anything - start in google. If you have something specific - then ask. Your request was shady at best and inaccurate at worst.

friggin do-gooders in this world... I'm in an anti-hacking course don't tell me about right and wrong

The school isn't affiliated in this rez... and the offfice people just send unknowledgable students who don't know what the helll they're doing...

Basically I want to find any ports on my firewall that are open so I can rout through say some files or something... like 6881 is popular... but it's blocked

The FAQ mention was probably a reference to the rules / stickies, particularly those noting:

No discussions of illegal activities.
No "help me hack someone else's network equipment"

...And don't give us that "I'm in an anti-hacking class, the rules don't apply to me" crap. The rules still apply, and if your class enrollment is a factor, why are you asking us to begin with?

We need a little more information than you are giving us...

What programs are you trying to use that aren't working? Is it a problem of just connecting to the wireless access point? What kind of router/card?

Fill us in more and if it's a problem we can talk about we'll talk :)

wow... hardforums really has gone to the crap since the last time I was on. good year or 2 ago "Generla Discusion" Was the bomb!

Anyways... In better detail... My friend has a large photoshop image and movie that we made in class in gr 7 that he wants to send me and he made it a torrent file about (400megs). Now I need to d/l the file form him with azureus or BitComet to get it.

I can only getup to 5k d/l speeds though and I have a warning that tells my my port isn't allowing complete access.

And about it not being my network, the friggin modem and router are in our dorm. We can change it if we so shall please. We've already moved it form it's original location into the middle room for better speeds. But none of us have an extra wireless router kicking around...

It's an SMC Barricade G 2804WBR...... POS

We are trying to stay within the rules of the forum and that's it. It's nothing personal, it's just posters are expected to be wary of the rules.

If you had posted the information in your above post in the original post this would have been quite easy. It sounds like you're having trouble with ports and BitTorrent, which is a common problem. First of all, check out any software firewalls that might be blocking you. BitComet is usually pretty good about setting things up by itself but if not you need to check out your BitComet config and see what ports it wants opened. If your router allows it, set yourself as the DMZ. Another thing to consider would be if your friend is having problems. Maybe he doesn't have things set up correctly. Good luck with all that, sorry about the rules mishap.

Sayth said:
wow... hardforums really has gone to the crap since the last time I was on. good year or 2 ago "Generla Discusion" Was the bomb!

Anyways... In better detail... My friend has a large photoshop image and movie that we made in class in gr 7 that he wants to send me and he made it a torrent file about (400megs). Now I need to d/l the file form him with azureus or BitComet to get it.

I can only getup to 5k d/l speeds though and I have a warning that tells my my port isn't allowing complete access.

And about it not being my network, the friggin modem and router are in our dorm. We can change it if we so shall please. We've already moved it form it's original location into the middle room for better speeds. But none of us have an extra wireless router kicking around...

It's an SMC Barricade G 2804WBR...... POS
Can you explain more what the heck you are talking about? What does "rez" mean? Is it a residence hall or an apartment complex? Is it a cable modem or is it a port in the wall? Who do you call if you need network help? Hell, Just give me the name of your school and I might be able to find what info I need to help you.

Chances are you’re on the schools network; therefore you have to follow the schools rules. Talk to the administrator and see what he has to say. Maybe find an alternate way, like having your friend setup a HTTP Server or maybe send via AIM?

And please, get a better attitude, your much more likely to get help if you are nicer about it.

are we not allowed to talk about netstumbler and war driving and what not on here? (just curious)

No we can - it all depends on context. Providing VERY specific questions, with detailed descrtiptions of the issue or situation is acceptable. Netstumbler and other programs used for wireless discovery have perfectly legal and useful applications.

Wardriving on the other hand is something only worth discussing if the discussion is about preventing it or working against intrusion.

We as members should never condone or encourage illegal activity... regardless of the motivation behind it. Just because some one is using a hack for a virtuous cause doesn't make it any more or less acceptable. Hence the FAQ.

DiscardME said:
No we can - it all depends on context. Providing VERY specific questions, with detailed descrtiptions of the issue or situation is acceptable. Netstumbler and other programs used for wireless discovery have perfectly legal and useful applications.

Wardriving on the other hand is something only worth discussing if the discussion is about preventing it or working against intrusion.

We as members should never condone or encourage illegal activity... regardless of the motivation behind it. Just because some one is using a hack for a virtuous cause doesn't make it any more or less acceptable. Hence the FAQ.

Well i can think of a perfect usefull application for wardriving, more just finding access points when inet access is needed when on the road. I have a friend who works in the bay area and he is in need of inet when he is on the road going to fix clients computers and what not. i've heard him say that when he needs to jump on the net for directions or whatever, he will just pull into a neighborhood and find an open AP, do his stuff and jump off. I dont think there is any harm in that personally, but then again, some people might find that intrusivie. *shrug*

cybertron said:
i've heard him say that when he needs to jump on the net for directions or whatever, he will just pull into a neighborhood and find an open AP, do his stuff and jump off. I dont think there is any harm in that personally, but then again, some people might find that intrusivie. *shrug*
That's a case of intrusive, and in most states, illegal.

OTOH, what he could easily do and stay legal is Google for public hotspots along his route before leaving. They're well documented.

Back