• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What makes a panel 'Analog'?

diggƒreak

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 8, 2006
Messages
173
I know that there are certain 'Analog only' LCDs that only have one Dsub15 input. It takes the analog siganal that has been converted by the PC DAC and converts it back to a digital signal for the pixel array, usually resulting in a lower quality image.

Then I come across a panel like this, that has both a DVI and Dsub input. On newegg the specs claim that the monitor is 'Analog RBG', yet on the company website it states that the input is "24-Pin DVI-D".

If the monitor was analog, wouldn't it be using DVI-I?

I'm just wondering if this monitor actually picks up an analog signal through the DVI cable even though it has all 24 pins to work with, and then still runs this through its 'ADC'? Or, I'm hoping, that it just takes a complete digital signal and displays a raw image from your card. So basically I want to know if I'm actually going to see a higher-quality digital image when using the DVI input on this monitor, or is it doing some stupid analog trick with the DVI.

I know all of you are twitching at the thought of owning such a monitor, but when it comes down to the specs they're all being made in the same factory, and I'm freaking 14 years old and on a budget.

Thanks for the help!
 
I know it has DVI, but I'm wondering if it is treating the DVI-D port as a DVI-I input and still using it like an analog signal.

Does anyone else have other suggestions?

I think I may go with that Viewsonic even though I bet they are using the same panel.
It seems like a waste of $50 to me, what would the difference be?
 
It's probably not the same panel.
Dvi-i is the port on your video card, it will output a digital signal and an analog signal with the adapter. If the monitor has dvi-d it is definatly digital, hence the dvi-digital. If a monitor had a dvi-i input (which many dont) it would take a digital signal if you use a dvi cable from your pc to the monitor. Hope this helps clear up anything. :cool:

Also, the difference is Viewsonic is a better brand and probably has a better warranty to back it up. It also has higher quality than Rosewill.
 
What I meant was, because newegg calls it an 'Analog RBG' input, it's possible that even though the monitor has a 24 pin DVI connector it could be treating it like an analog signal.

If it does support full digital however I'd rather go with it over the Viewsonic. The Rosewill actually has a better warranty and is $53 cheaper. I also noticed that the Viewsonic is a lot thicker and less adjustable.

Would you really recommend that I get the Viewsonic?
 
Google some reviews for both of them, do a little research. And no, if it has dvi-d it is only digital, i don't think any monitors have dvi-i. It's just a typo that newegg made. Also, have you considered the dell 1907fp? It's new and pretty cheap too. In your price range. With coupons from xpbargains.com or a site like that it would be a good buy.
 
There are pretty much no reviews for the Rosewill as expected, but the professional reviews for the Viewsonic are all positive. I was going to get the Dell but I've heard that brightness and contrast are not adjustable when using DVI.
 
Back
Top