What is the difference between buying a used game and pirating it?

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
Buying it used gives the company no profits, does not increase sales numbers, only gives profit to the person selling it..

So what makes it different then pirating a game which does the same?

Originally posted by LordJezo
Buying it used gives the company no profits, does not increase sales numbers, only gives profit to the person selling it..

Ethics. Morals. The things that seperate us from the monkeys.

it doesnt profit the person that sells it to you. Unless he somehow tricks you into paying more than he did.

Never really thought about it but.......

I would think that company who sells the product like Micro$oft for example, wants to get payed for the product at least once for every user who buys it. Or if this is confusing you because I know it's confusing me,

The difference is pretty simple: One activity is legal, the other one is not.

What he said ^

When you purchase a used game the previous owner no longer has it.
There is still only one copy and the company has been paid for it.
The previous owner may have paid them, but it was still paid for.

Places like Gamestop and Funcoland should be considered criminals for paying people less than $10 for used games and selling them for twice that much, sometimes even more! They screw the customer two ways instead of one. :eek:

Originally posted by heatsinker
Places like Gamestop and Funcoland should be considered criminals for paying people less than $10 for used games and selling them for twice that much, sometimes even more! They screw the customer two ways instead of one. :eek:

You definitely don't want to know the markup at retail for new games, then.

Yea and to top it off they only give you store credit so you have to spend YOUR money there.

Originally posted by Snugglebear

Actually I do,and can you please show something to prove it.
I'm not saying you will lie. I just think it would be interesting to read.

Same difference as buying anything used....

Companys get the profit off the first purchase. Theres no point in a company getting paid twice for one product. With most Terms of Agreements, when your selling your copy of a software to someone, your "supposed" to un-intsall it off your rig. 1 purchase fee for 1 product.

Kinda like buying a used car.... :rolleyes:

they get their monbey for that game. Its not like they have to be paid more for the trading of hands

you can't justify stealing.

i'm not saying you can't...just you can't justify it. SO YOU GOTTA LIVE WITH CAUSING INFLATION!!!

bestbuy buys al their 50 dollar ps2 games for about 37-43 dollars.... tahts not much markup.... i work there i know.

Simple:

• One involves buying second hand product from someone backed by legality
  • The other involves driving down to North Eastern Mexico and "paying for" an invalid license with legal status that would stand in only a Chinese court

We give cash back on trade-ins at a 20% discount on credit which is peanuts. The turn over on trade-ins makes up about 60% of our revenue each fiscal year. We cater to the used customers by offering plans, deals and incentives frequently. Like buy 2 used get 1 free, and if you sign up for Game Informer you get a 10% dicount card that you can combine with that offer, as well as coupons every other month for an ADDITIONAL 10% off on any used purchase. So you can really make some good steals if you know how to shop at Gamestop.

On a side note: Im suprised so many people know so little about American commerce in this country.

the person that gets fucked by pirating is the person who bought the game legally. after they beat it, if they want to sell it, pirating kills that resale value. less pirates = greater demand = higher resale.

at least you dont have to worry that someone jizzed all over it.

as much

Originally posted by Snugglebear

The difference is that you steal when pirate and you do a legal purchase when buying a used game.

I mean what about this logic. "It´s okay I pirate this game since I would have bought it used anyway"

Something is wrong with that logic isn´t it :)

And of course the one who sells the game to you benefits for it as long as you send him money.

For me it´s amazing how some people somehow think it´s okay to steal music and games but not doing bank robberies and such as long as you don´t hurt anyone?

It´s wrong definiatly whatever way you look at it. Games is a luxury item and nothing you need to survive so that games are so expensive really doesn´t cut it. And they sure aren´t getting cheaper because of we pirating.

It is not the same. When you buy a game, that copy is legally yours. The manufacturer has now made their profit on that copy. That means that (after uninstalling it) you can legally sell it, even at a profit. This is a transfer of ownership. True, it doesn't help the manufacturer when someone buys a used copy, but it doesn't hurt them as much and it is legal.

Now, a pirated copy brings no profit to the manufacturer, and the word "pirated" should give you a clue that this is illegal. Pirated copies hurt potential sales and may leave the manufacturers with inventories that they couldn’t sell.

Piracy kills the companies that make the games that we like. When you use a pirated copy you are hurting the gaming industry, other gamers, and mostly, yourself.

Originally posted by NowhereMan
It is not the same. When you buy a game, that copy is legally yours. The manufacturer has now made their profit on that copy. That means that (after uninstalling it) you can legally sell it, even at a profit. This is a transfer of ownership. True, it doesn't help the manufacturer when someone buys a used copy, but it doesn't hurt them as much and it is legal.

Now, a pirated copy brings no profit to the manufacturer, and the word "pirated" should give you a clue that this is illegal. Pirated copies hurt potential sales and may leave the manufacturers with inventories that they couldn’t sell.

Piracy kills the companies that make the games that we like. When you use a pirated copy you are hurting the gaming industry, other gamers, and mostly, yourself.

Yes and you are totally free to donate money to the company that did the game if you so wished. I think they gladly would take your money :D

I mean is it wrong buying a used car when you could buy a new for 3 times the price?

I know the feeling, I'm trying to get rid of Vice City for the PC and I can't find anyone who wants a retail because everyone has it pirated :(

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
I know the feeling, I'm trying to get rid of Vice City for the PC and I can't find anyone who wants a retail because everyone has it pirated :(

Well I generally don´t have a hard time selling games. Just use the Golden rule. Sell it for half the retail price. That goes to both software and hardware in the comp. business.

buying a used game usually means you get to own a scratched up cd ...pirating a game usually means you dont get no scratched up cd ...

so as you can see, pirtating games just aint worth it in the long run to you ...to me ...and to the environment.

3 ways, really. Who buys games from EB or Gamestop/Funcoland?! The major chains like Bestbuy and Circuitcity always have cheaper prices at least for a few days/weeks, if not all the time.

Originally posted by ThreeDee
buying a used game usually means you get to own a scratched up cd ...pirating a game usually means you dont get no scratched up cd ...

so as you can see, pirtating games just aint worth it in the long run to you ...to me ...and to the environment.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

You somehow contradict yourself?

Anyway I have bought over 20 games used and not a single scratch on any of them :p

+ the big advantage I don´t get a lot of viruses and trojan horses in my system by going over to the dark side ;)

Patience is the key.

Everything ends up in the bargain bin one day. Just be there on that day :)

Except half-life. Never played the original. Cursed thing can't be found anywhere here for under A$70.

Originally posted by vinnie
Patience is the key.

Everything ends up in the bargain bin one day. Just be there on that day :)

Except half-life. Never played the original. Cursed thing can't be found anywhere here for under A$70.

Wow.. why so much? I have tons of them laying around in local stores in the discount bin for $20!!

(US dollars anyway..)

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
Look hard enough, and find it for $10

Yes but that would require you to wait about 4 years from the point of release.

It´s much better buying it used since then you can get it for less faster.

you can always encourage your little brother to buy a new release ..then beat him up and take it from him:)

Originally posted by ThreeDee
you can always encourage your little brother to buy a new release ..then beat him up and take it from him:)

My little brother couldn´t care less for gaming :( And he is like 20 now so I may get some bruces :D

Back