what is "phase changing?"

I have seen pics but i don't know what it is or what it does. I want to know like how it works and how much it costs. Also what makes it so good for like oc'ers? I mean in the pictures this one guy had his x2 3800 + @ 3.01 ghz! Why is so much better then watercooling? Thank you

how much does it cost? plenty. http://kit-tronics.com/xcart/customer/home.php?cat=89 and there are plenty of other places that sell them, if you actually search before posting an elementary question.

what makes it so good for OCing? you mean other than the fact that it can keep your proc cooler than -20C under load, overclocked?

it uses the same general technology as your household freezer: get out your google stick if you want to learn about it.

why is it so much better than watercooling? you might as well ask why air conditioning is better than sticking a box fan in your window.........water cooling can only get you to room temperature. phase change uses a tonne of electricity to get your proc much cooler than room temperature.

If you build it yourself you can make a nice simple single stage very cheap, depending on how good you are at scrounging parts. Or you can pick up a good used system for around $300 and up. Phase change is the gas changing state from liquid to vapor. It is so much better than water cooling because it allows lower than ambient temps, down to around -50 in the better single stages to around -100c in a 2 stage cascade. It's really not all that exotic, expensive, nor does it use a lot of electricity. The expense part depends on how willing you are to learn and do it yourself... like anything else, if you don't understand it, you have to pay someone who does ;)

^ thank you. Also what do you need to have phase changing? Like in watercooling yogu need a gpu block,tubing,radioater, etc.

boomheadshot45 said:
^ thank you. Also what do you need to have phase changing? Like in watercooling yogu need a gpu block,tubing,radioater, etc.
have you gotten out your google stick yet? care to demonstrate that you have, by asking a more specific question?

Basicly a phase change cooling system is the same as a home ac unit with a different evaporator (the part that gets cold) replaced by one that bolts directly to the cpu. A lot of people buy the small 5000btu ac units and sit the evporator in a cooler and use them to cool water to sub 0 temps and hook that to the water cooling loop in the system. Just do a lot of reading and look at pics of other peoples systems, the more you do yourself the more you can save.... plus it's a lot more satisfying than just buying one ;)

DFI Daishi said:
have you gotten out your google stick yet? care to demonstrate that you have, by asking a more specific question?
You might as well quit patronizing him. It looks like he is getting good advice from a kinder member and simply ignoring you.

cyks said:
You might as well quit patronizing him. It looks like he is getting good advice from a kinder member and simply ignoring you.
a kinder member who is also less afraid of giving advice that could result in injury, death, and dead hardware..........because if the OP doesn't know a lot about phas change, he shouldn't be looking into building his own. one might further say that if the OP is CLUELESS as to how one opperates, he shouldn't even be using one.

not to mention that there are some very well written articles on the subject......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_change_heat_pump........comes up pretty quickly when i get out my own google stick, and covers the subject in greater detail than the kinder forum member as well.

dude knows absolutely nothing about the subject he is asking about. he should be hitting up google first, learning a bit about it, and then asking some advanced questions in the forum. that is what the forum is for, answering specific questions that are not answered elsewhere. in case you hadn't noticed there are forum members who build single stages, cascades and chillers around here, none of whom felt like wasting their time with this question.

people who post an excessively basic question are wasting everyone's time, cluttering up the forum, and recieve incomplete information, giving them a flawed understanding of the subject in question. threads like this do service to no one.

the OP apparently didn't go out and search, so my mission was not really accomplished. i'm not happy about that, since it means this guy is likely to continue to make innane poste like this. i posted what i did for a reason, and i hardly need to take shit from you about it when the thread had little merit to begin with.

DFI Daishi said:
a kinder member who is also less afraid of giving advice that could result in injury, death, and dead hardware..........because if the OP doesn't know a lot about phas change, he shouldn't be looking into building his own. one might further say that if the OP is CLUELESS as to how one opperates, he shouldn't even be using one.

not to mention that there are some very well written articles on the subject......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_change_heat_pump........comes up pretty quickly when i get out my own google stick, and covers the subject in greater detail than the kinder forum member as well.

dude knows absolutely nothing about the subject he is asking about. he should be hitting up google first, learning a bit about it, and then asking some advanced questions in the forum. that is what the forum is for, answering specific questions that are not answered elsewhere. in case you hadn't noticed there are forum members who build single stages, cascades and chillers around here, none of whom felt like wasting their time with this question.

people who post an excessively basic question are wasting everyone's time, cluttering up the forum, and recieve incomplete information, giving them a flawed understanding of the subject in question. threads like this do service to no one.

the OP apparently didn't go out and search, so my mission was not really accomplished. i'm not happy about that, since it means this guy is likely to continue to make innane poste like this. i posted what i did for a reason, and i hardly need to take shit from you about it when the thread had little merit to begin with.

If you don't want to get crapped on by another member then stop crapping on others. Yes, you did tell the OP to consult Google for general answers but you did so in a denigrating manner. If you can't be helpful without demonstrating your immature attitude then don't be surprised when you get ignored completely.

To the OP: To find out exactly how phase change does what it does do a Google search for how phase change cooling works and look at the results there. Once you get an idea of what's involved in phase change cooling you can decide if you want to build a chiller, build a dedicated CPU cooling unit using an evaporator head to go on the CPU or just buy a ready made unit and ask more specific questions relating to that.

Good luck!

madmat said:
If you don't want to get crapped on by another member then stop crapping on others. Yes, you did tell the OP to consult Google for general answers but you did so in a denigrating manner. If you can't be helpful without demonstrating your immature attitude then don't be surprised when you get ignored completely.
real questions get real answers. garbage threads get attitude to discourcage public dumping of garbage.

I feel sorry for you, I was reared with the axiom "There's no such thing as a stupid question" meaning that if you don't know, ask. Ignorance is a lack of learning, stupidity is either an inability to learn or a refusal to do so.

The OP is ignorant of how phase change works and wants to learn, treating him like crap because he wants to learn is narrow minded at best.

there is also an appropriate place to ask questions of a given level of difficulty. you don't march up to a robotics lab in MIT and ask for help with a 3 element RLC transient circuit analysis you got as homework in a first year course as your first attempt to seek help. first you consult the text, then web resources, then you ask the bloody TA or other students and a prof is the final step if all other have been attemped and failed.

i am not an open minded person. however, the OP didn't want to learn, he wanted to be spoon fed. he didn't want to do the background reading required, he didn't want to sort through the background information, he didn't want to really know how it works, he wanted someone to hand him something fast, short and easy. he didn't want to think. i deal with people like this all the time in my program, and a feel as little urge to humour them as i do the OP.

There is a knowledge to be gained from experience that surpasses much of everything that can be read of on the internet, including Google.

The OP is looking for someone to provide him with that knowledge.

“Those that can, do. Those that can't, complain.”

you are correct as stated.

so, of the questions he posed, what could not have been answered in full by google?

"how much does it cost?" type "phase change cooler prices" into google and........http://www.google.ca/search?hs=hqw&...=phase+change+cooler+prices&btnG=Search&meta=.......my, that seems to be a retailer on the first hit. that retailer's prices might give him a clue as to the ballpark, even if shopping around can drop the price some.

"how does phase change work?" well.....typing "how does phase change cooling work?" into google yields http://www.google.ca/search?hs=LWH&...hase+change+cooling+work?&btnG=Search&meta=an unimpressive first hit, a review of a retail CPU phase change cooler for the serond, an the wiki for phase change in refrigeration in general as the third hit.

"what makes it good for OC'ers?" well, google doesn't do so well with that one. if he had read the above reviews and descriptions he might have had a line of thought along the lines of "cooler is better for OCing and phase change can get things really cool." i think they actually point that out explicitly in the sales pitch for the product........but whatever.

"why is it so much better than watercooling?" well now.......i might have contributed something google would not have given him regarding that point.........whether phase is better than water depends on you own priorities. watercooling offers decent temps at some really low noise levels. if low noise opperation is your priority, then water is what you want. if performance is your priority, phase change offers the potential for higher overclocks. phase is not as quiet as water cooling can be, so it's a trade off favouring your own priorities when you make your choice.

so.....of the knowledge that he was seeking..........he could have answered 3 out of four questions by typing into google and reading what came back. he could have gained the knowledge himself in less than a half hours time. that is markedly less than the time i have wasted in this thread, responding to people who think that i'm a great big meanie, or some such.

about the only thing i feel that i should have mentioned in my initial post, which i didn't and no one else has bothered to do, is mention the brands "promethia" and "vapochill" as mainstream retail kits.

spoonfeeding benifits no one, including the one asking to be spoonfed. effective research skills are good for any person to have, and finding the answers for simple questions pertaining to recreational/hobby activities help to hone those skills. forum members providing answers to questions that can be well and thoroughly addressed by online text resources are redundant and result in an incomplete understanding of what is being explained on the part of the OP, as well as being a waste the time of the poster.

anyone who asks for user feedback regarding what works best and problems people encounter gets no grief from me. after reading the reviews, seeing what customers using retail purchased product have experienced is invaluable. that is one of the reasons that i believe in and participate in this discussion forum.

"There's no such thing as a stupid question" is a platitude that i often hear. the only times that i have head it used by instructors are in english classes, to point out that questions are logical constructs and therefore do not posess characteristics of living beings such as intelligence or stupidity.

“Those that can, do. Those that can't, complain.” well, i certainly can't "do" in that i can't build a phase change unit. you're right there.

if you're talking about me understanding phase change cooling at the level that it has so far been discussed in this thread, you are dead wrong.

if you're talking about my ability to find reviews, select a good unit, find a place to purchase said unit, install and opperate said unit and overclock the bejeasus out of my proc, then funds not withstanding, you are QUITE mistaken.

"don't come to class if you haven't done the readings." is a favourite one with instructors in my department. being touchy-feely is all well and good, but if you're putting your hand up in class to ask something that everyone else knows and you SHOULD know, you're wasting everyone's time.

so.....unless you high and mighty folks have something to spoon feed the OP with regarding the subject of phase change cooling yourselves, just piss off.

No need to be so harsh dfi. I know you've been around longer than some and know bit more than some. To be honest, the person who asked should have done more search on his own. At the same time, no need to make him feel uncomfortable here. We just don't have to respond if we think it is not worth time. To the original poster, you really should do more sarch. There are plenty of information available to give you better idea. There are lots of commercial unit reviews that gives you basic information, how to mount it and how to use it. Once you feel comfortable with the concept than you can start looking at DIY thread searches than if you have more specific questions, can come ask. Most of us are more than willing to help the people who seek, not people who wants to sit back and do your homework for you. Even in Hardforum, there are so much basic information by quick search. refrigerationbasic.com is one place to learn very basic of how things works.

I thought it was a very resonable question. I've been thinking of hacking up my old airconditioner and making a cooling system for my computer, but I didnt even know thats what is called "Phase changing" until I read this thread.

to insist that a user should go somewhere else for this basic information is to discredit the [H]ard forum as a usefull (or friendly) information source. I dont know about you, but I always wanted to deck the teachers who say "figure it out" or ask another guestion.
If you dont want to be the teacher who sais "Phase changing is cooling by evaporation" then you dont need to respond, but if you are the teacher who sais "go read it in your text book", and that teacher never helped anyone. the text book (or google) obviusly didnt supply him with the answer he was seeking, or it didnt offer it in a way that it was understood, or maybe he didnt look, but your responce is not any more welcome than his query.

Google just doesn't give you custom results. Someone would post here with a question or two hoping to get just what they're looking for. I never once had a teacher take a class to the school computer lab and say, go figure out pre-calc using varios search engines. If you don't, best of luck to you in the real world. Basically, school spoon-feeds you everything you need to know. If I planned on changing from air to a better cooling solution, I'd be here first, posting my questions. I would never expect anyone here to go off on me, either. I don't think you have the right to tell anyone to go somewhere else for their answers, and I can only hope people would ignore you while you have a problem or question, anywhere, on any suject, in the future...... You might try capital letters at the begining of your sentences, according to Google, thats how its done. :rolleyes:

DFI Daishi said:
so.....unless you high and mighty folks have something to spoon feed the OP with regarding the subject of phase change cooling yourselves, just piss off.

Your point, so eloquently stated I might add, has been taken. How about you relax, and either
1. don't post if you don't want to offer any further information, or
2. post your arguments in a civil manner.

Thanks.

Back